Failing up.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

GoAt

Never wrong
Nov 3, 2001
USA
Visit site
My best friend (who introduced me to this place), loves to say i have failed up into my current position. Considering what and who i did at my last employer and the resulting fallout from that which netted me a good paying manager's position at my current employer, yeah. I did fail up. But let me say, I hate it. the money is good, but holy god does management suck harder than an angry ant eater. It takes a special kind of dickhead to enjoy this. I figure if i push through 6 more months, that will give me 2 years exp and should open some more doors. But i have to laugh when people tell me to piss off when i tell them they fucked up and they need to fix it. Because i used to be that shithead who knew the process forwards, backwards, and inside out to the point i knew what i could get away with to the point of abuse. The shoe is on the other foot now.

Reactions: oosyxxx

oosyxxx

teh3vilspa7ula
Jan 4, 2000
My best friend (who introduced me to this place), loves to say i have failed up into my current position. Considering what and who i did at my last employer and the resulting fallout from that which netted me a good paying manager's position at my current employer, yeah. I did fail up. But let me say, I hate it. the money is good, but holy god does management suck harder than an angry ant eater. It takes a special kind of dickhead to enjoy this. I figure if i push through 6 more months, that will give me 2 years exp and should open some more doors. But i have to laugh when people tell me to piss off when i tell them they fucked up and they need to fix it. Because i used to be that shithead who knew the process forwards, backwards, and inside out to the point i knew what i could get away with to the point of abuse. The shoe is on the other foot now.

Based on our phone conversations years ago, you did strike me as a real life Kramer, failing upward, and I say that as a compliment :)

Are you on a 40-hour week, or do you have to do unpaid OT?

Have you had to fire anyone yet? If not, I think this would be the right uniform for the occasion ==>

goatofgoats.jpg

GoAt

Never wrong
Nov 3, 2001
USA
Visit site
Ops and higher deal with terminations. I could sit in one if i desired, but im not directly involved. When i do decide to promote the next rung is OM so at that point I will be directly involved. They want me involved with the hiring process which i have agreed to but i have warned my Terminal manager (equivilent to general manager of a store. rung below district) that due to the stupid amount of training i've received over the years on interviewing, im unlikely to suggest anyone to be hired. I even referenced my interview with him. What he thought would be a standard 45 minute interview, I turned into a 3 hour marathon.
Im on a 60ish hour work week and salaried. But given my record of attendance compared to the others in my position, when i ask for a day off its granted without question.

Reactions: oosyxxx

oosyxxx

teh3vilspa7ula
Jan 4, 2000
Yeah, I tend to leave it to the ops and higher, too, when dealing with terminations.

Glad to hear you're doing well! Keep checking in, and we'll get the {NC} gang back together! :redflag:

OO7MIKE

Mr. Sexy
May 2, 2000
Nalicity, NC
Holy Shitsnacks this thread makes my day.
The Peter Principle applies to everyone in life at some point.
May you Reign forever GOAT!

GoAt

Never wrong
Nov 3, 2001
USA
Visit site
I had to look up the Peter Principle. I enjoy this principle. I can apply this to 8 of the 15 supervisors we have at our building. Those 8 exist specifically for the pay. seeing the incompetence above me has shown me i only need to know how to bullshit the job, not actually perform the job. Failing to do the job results in career stagnation to the point of termination. Actually doing the job also results in stagnation as you become "too valuable to lose." Bullshitting the job results in success.

Reactions: OO7MIKE

oosyxxx

teh3vilspa7ula
Jan 4, 2000
Oh, and my phone number is still the same.

I don't have your phone number anymore, unfortunately. (Had different numbers and phones since then.)

While keeping things private, what'd be the best way to convey it?