Eye Glasses

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

What kind of eyeglass lenses do you like?

• Total voters

OO7MIKE

Mr. Sexy
May 2, 2000
Nalicity, NC
I wear glasses. All I can see is the purest Bokeh without them.

I'm a photographer so quality, durability, and lightness matters to me. So I got the "HD" (**** marketing) plastic as thin as they come glasses. They are 1/4 the thickness of glass based glasses.

Of course non of that mattered once i started getting head aches because everything was too sharp/clear and I had 15/15 vision. It was awesome! ( not the headaches) Head aches be gone! so I settled with standard 20/20 vision.

Transitions are ghey, polarizing glasses are cool but not good to wear if you are taking or editing photos. One day I will wear sunglasses.. but probably after some corrective surgery. Its getting cheaper every year. Last I heard it was $800 an eye. Might be worth it if you want to skip the whole hassle of having glasses/wearing contacts.

Thrash123

Obey Leash Laws
Jul 19, 1999
Nowhere to be found.
www.classicwfl.com
I wear glasses. All I can see is the purest Bokeh without them.

I'm a photographer so quality, durability, and lightness matters to me. So I got the "HD" (**** marketing) plastic as thin as they come glasses. They are 1/4 the thickness of glass based glasses.

Of course non of that mattered once i started getting head aches because everything was too sharp/clear and I had 15/15 vision. It was awesome! ( not the headaches) Head aches be gone! so I settled with standard 20/20 vision.

Transitions are ghey, polarizing glasses are cool but not good to wear if you are taking or editing photos. One day I will wear sunglasses.. but probably after some corrective surgery. Its getting cheaper every year. Last I heard it was $800 an eye. Might be worth it if you want to skip the whole hassle of having glasses/wearing contacts.

You might want to invest in prescription sunglasses my friend. I've been considering it myself. If you've got vision insurance, I'd pick up your regular prescription one year, then sunglasses the next (since most insurance will cover a new pair a year).

Continuum

Lobotomistician
Jul 24, 2005
Boise
I wore glasses for about 2 years and couldn't stand them (glares and my face is crooked). Lasik is the way to go.

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
Non-reflecting lenses are a must have.

Optical plastic lens are the norm in the UK, they're much lighter than glass, and I've yet to have any significant scratching on any lenses I've had.

Optical plastic lenses are also easier to make thinner. I have appalling eyesight, so any way of making lenses thinner is a good thing :)

You might want to invest in prescription sunglasses my friend. I've been considering it myself.

I've had a pair for a few years, I've found them very useful. The only issue is having to switch for normal glasses if you go into an indoor environment for prolonged periods.

WaitForTheRain

Feb 26, 2008
UK
No optical instruments for me, but one of my eyes is noticeably better than the other, maybe I should get a monocle.

NRG

Master Console Hater
Dec 31, 2005
I used to be 20/15 but have lost it over a few years to 20/70. Quite the difference :(

I can only wear glasses, though I don't really care whether it's some plastic compound or glass. I just don't like contacts. They're like manually blinking/breathing--you can't stop thinking about it and it gets uncomfortable. I like being able to easily add and remove them for practical purposes too.
Because the front of your eye falling out after a couple years cause your eye had been sliced open isn't archaic at all. :)
This. I'm too afraid of running into long term side effects to try lasik. At my age I can wait a few decades to wait for it to improve further.

Kyllian

if (Driver == Bot.Pawn); bGTFO=True;
Aug 24, 2002
kyllian.deviantart.com
One thing to note is that transition lenses, while nice, WILL transition indoors.
They'll darken when exposed to any UV source.
Buddy of mine has the transition lenses and the windows in his car have enough UV blocking that his lenses won't darken when he's driving
Glass.

But I think laser eye surgery should be provided for free for everybody because glasses are pretty archaic at this stage.
Eh, I'd rather have my glasses, especially since laser isn't perfect yet. Some people still lose some night vision and others it just doesn't hold

I'm pretty sure my lenses are plastic. Didn't care at the time and I think the plastic were cheaper anyway
Tho I should get my prescription updated eventually as this one is probably 5 years old and I can tell my astigmatism is getting worse

Also been thinking of picking up some contacts for when I play airsoft as my current goggles press up against the sides of my frames

[GU]elmur_fud

I have balls of Depleted Uranium
Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
Glass.

But I think laser eye surgery should be provided for free for everybody because glasses are pretty archaic at this stage.

Foregoing the comment on the risks, I can't get it as it wouldn't work entirely and would have possible ill effects with my RP. So 1 in every 400 people would be excluded.

I have plastic lenses with scratch resistant coating. That crap sucks balls. After 10 years it's scratched all to hell. Glass for me here after.

Flex Titanium frames FTW.

Now that I have vision insurance again and found a eye doctor here that will take patients with RP without doing medical experiments on my eyes I will soon be getting new lenses myself.

Syri

Who are you calling short?
Aug 18, 2000
Nottingham, England
25 years of staring at a computer screen, and I still don't need glasses. My last test showed that I'm very slightly long sighted, but not enough to need correction.

CyMek

Dead but not gone.
Jan 4, 2004
cymek.deviantart.com
I'm at -13.5 here; contacts are a no go with the -13.5 plus astigmatism. For all those who are talking about Lasik, it might behoove you to hold off. The first long-term studies on it are coming out now, and the incidence of almost every sort of eye condition is higher, e.g. if you want glaucoma then go for it.

That said; plastic. If I got anything in glass I would need a support structure just to wear the glasses. High index materials, yo.

Crotale

_________________________ _______________
Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here

I had that same issue.

I have a pair of polarized prescription sunglasses, and I have to say, they are worth every penny they cost.

Hadmar

Queen Bitch of the Universe
Jan 29, 2001
Nerdpole
[GU]elmur_fud;2488331 said:
I have plastic lenses with scratch resistant coating. That crap sucks balls. After 10 years it's scratched all to hell. Glass for me here after
When I got my last glasses I believe about two years ago I was asked if I want scratch proof coating and whatnot. It's was the same place I got my last glasses from and they told me the plastic that was used at that time without special coating was at least as good as the last glasses I got there with coating. Technology advances.