1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

UE3 - UT3 Exporting Textures

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by DonJeffrey, Jan 25, 2008.

1. DonJeffrey

DonJeffrey New Member

Hi,

I have a question about exporting textures out of UT3. When I load a package and right click on a material I can't choose export to file (it's grey).

When I select a material and click file->Export... I get an error;
    "The requested operation cannot be performed on a cooked package."

Can someone tell how to export textures? <3

And I've another question.
    Is it possible to like when I see a nice static mesh in a map (or just from the package) to export them into 3DsMax? Since I can't click "export to file" too.
    Do I need another program for that?

Thanks for your time, I've bin searching on the internet with no succes. So you're my hope :D

2. Wormbo

Wormbo Administrator Staff Member

It's not possible to export anything from cooked packages. You can use tools like Nereid's Oggextract to extract raw OGG files from music and sound packages. For textures you can try using Texmod, which will can textures from memory while the game is running.

3. OutlawSkot33

OutlawSkot33 Im me.

that or the msot annoying way... "Print Screen" past into Paint, photoshop or paintshop...and crop...

4. sWs»Cheapshot

sWs»Cheapshot New Member

Could it be copied and pasted?

5. Wormbo

Wormbo Administrator Staff Member

Screenshot/paste from the browser works, but only for the RGB channels. Any alpha channel information will be lost, unless you manually extract it with a material shader construction and screenshot/paste that as well so you can merge it back in.

6. DonJeffrey

DonJeffrey New Member

Thanks for the help, I've tried to use TexMod. It works but when I am in the map after 1 minute UT3 crashes. No matter what I do, standing still, walking around, going through textures. Without TexMod on UT3 doesn't crash. :(

For UT2004 I used: http://www.unrealadmin.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=455&d=1091370515

With that tool you can export textures, meshes and music. Something like that for UT3 would be sweet.

Now I'm prnt screening which also works :p

7. Ionium

Ionium New Member

You can make it so the unreal editor thinks it's an un-cooked package:

obj savepackage file=[filename] package=[package_to_save]

8. Hyperforce

Hyperforce New Member

can you clarify that please. I'm trying to export a mesh from UN_Rock because it doesn't have a decent UV layout for lightmaps, meaning I get strange shadows on it when I light it with a lightmap.

9. DGUnreal

DGUnreal Level Designer

That only helps if you want to duplicate the asset to another package such as your map file.
    You still cannot export most stock content directly because when cooked the original format data is removed.
    "Uncooking" it in this method does not "re-import" the missing original data format.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2008