1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Exporting player model problem

Discussion in 'Modeling & Skinning' started by StoopidKwestion, Sep 29, 2004.

1. StoopidKwestion

StoopidKwestion New Member

Built myself a new player model in Max ( v6 ...using ActorX 2.14 ), UV'd it and merged it with the standard skeleton set you can download. Stripped away the old model's mesh and replaced it with my own.

Set up the physique modifier, and then hand tweaked the vertices so they were attached to the right bone and moved as I wanted. Everything moves fine in Max. Grab a bone, and it moves as expected. Lovely.

Then, when I export it, I am checking the ActorX options to export 'all textured' to create my 'refpose'. I have tried other options, but this is the only one that actually produces a PSK file!

Open up Ued, import the mesh, setup the texture package, copy the animation set from the same skeleton, rename it and slap it on my new model, paste in the mesh properties to get it scaled and orientated right...and...

It doesn't animate. The guy moves as a single object locked in the 'refpose' shape. The root model seems to move, but none of the mesh vertices deform. I looked at the skeleton, and that is animating correctly....it's just the mesh has 'rigor-mortis'!!!!!

Been hunting all over for tutorials, similar problems etc. but found nothing much that made any sense. Some things about bone weighting ( haven't touched this....can't see where or how ) and a suggestion that I check 'export all physique' in ActorX...only the later versions ( mine ) do not have this.

I double checked the process as far as the Ued portion goes by importing a UT2003 model instead of mine, and adding UT2004 animation set to it. It worked fine in game! Great...I now have Homer Simpson to deathmatch with...but not my model :(

2. Vailias

Vailias New Member

Its Socket nameing conventions.

Usually this gets taken care of when you import another models mesh properties, but sometimes not. So then what to do? Well open up the attach rollout in unreal ed and simply rename the socket bones to what they are actually called in your model. Do so by turning on the bone names with the button near the top of the anim browser.

This happens all the time.

Err... re read your post. sounds like it might be more than that... Try the sockett thing anyway, but I don't think I can think quite clearly enough right now to make a proper bit of help on this. Though I do believe I have run into this myself a few times.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2004
  3. StoopidKwestion

Thanks for the tip Vailias...it wasn't the problem...but it got me thinking :D

Then, I found the answer, lurking in the small print on the UDN page for ActorX.

I quote :

All Skin Type

If this is checked, every mesh in the file that has a skin/physique modifier on it will be exported. This option MUST be checked if you have any deformable skin in your scene. If unchecked, all meshes will be assumed to be rigid, controlled by a single bone each.

I DIDN'T have this option checked!!! I had assumed it was meant to over-ride all the other settings, when what I should have done was check that AND All Textured. When I did it like that, the thing moved perfectly.

Now....to start REALLY making a player model :D :D :D

4. Radiosity

Radiosity Minty Fresh!

Ah, that's what's replaced the 'all physique meshes' option then. So I was right, but the naming convention has been changed to include any skin modifier rather than just physique :) You'll know me as Darksaber BTW, on the atari forums.

5. StoopidKwestion

:D I'll post this up on the Atari thread too...might help some other poor guy to sort a problem! Oh...and thanks for the help .... it helped to get me thinking along the right lines. A guy over on 3D Buzz actually nailed it for me, and after that, I found the section of the UDN docs on ActorX that would have solved it right off...if I had known what and where to find it :S

6. Call me Erdrik

Call me Erdrik Arch Mage

I got the ActorX for MAX 6 but it keeps giving me an error saying it failed to initialize. I even have the file the udn page said is suppose to fix that but it doesn't :p
    Any clues as to what I should do? hase anyone had this problem before?

Is there any other program I can use to export meshes to Unreal? my model dosen't animate but it needs bones to attache things to...

Last edited: Oct 15, 2004
  7. StoopidKwestion

IF you are using MAx 6.0 and have the right version of ActorX ( I am using 2.14b ) it ought to work fine.

I have not had this error occur at any stage. Have you got character Studio properly installed ?

8. Call me Erdrik

Call me Erdrik Arch Mage

it is but it isn't 'registered' yet :p I guess thats the problem nvrmnd

9. StoopidKwestion

There is always Maya....or, sending a Max file to someone with a working version of Max and ActorX who could send you back a PSK file.....

It only takes a moment to export :D