UE1 - UT Exporting models and UV maps for 3DStudioMax

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
Hi,

Is there any tutorial out there that explains how export models and get hold of the uv maps so textures appear correctly in a 3d modeling program ?

Thewiruz

Jun 10, 2001
Stockholm
thewiruz.blogg.se
Why would you do that?Especially from UT99 ?build a box and apply a uv map.i mean whats the point of exporting a brush from UT99??Its not even posseble i think,not with uv,s anyway.

*Edit*Or do you mean the characters in UT99?

Last edited:

SolaceEternal

SPANK THAT TUNA
Apr 29, 2004
So to clarify, you want to export the characters and weapons from ut99?

From what I understand, you can't. :/

War_Master

May 27, 2005
the UTPT and WOTGreal can export meshes as .3d and .3ds formats but both of them deform 99% of the meshes in a .3d file. I've noticed that one of the vertexes in the model is moved to where the pivot is or was stretching the poly in a very ugly way making it impossible to use or fix the model. As for the .3ds files exported by them, I have not been able to get an actual import by the 3 programs I tried importing it to for some reason, its as if the file was corrupted somehow and cannot be read by the programs that support .3ds format... like Milkshape, Gmax, 3ds2unr.exe. So, my guess is that it is impossible as we know it since we havent seen any customization of UT's meshes.

I saw a zombie mod in UT2k4 that uses the UT99 player models and they all looked like they had the same animations used in UT and with no deformations either. Maybe those models do come out right but as far as the UT weapon meshes, I pretty much doubt it because we would have seen them used as a weapon mod for UT2k4 long time ago.

Also, I have tried all those export commands using DOS and none of them worked for me.

So, If you ever find a way to export the UT weapon meshes correctly, I'll be waiting for a shared download of the .3d files if possible.

oh, and a question to all... Is it possible to import Lightmapped meshes using a .3d file into UT99?
I also tried importing with psk/psa format to see if lightmap stayed in the mesh but it didnt.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
If it's possible to export OBJ files, I read somewhere that there's an obj plugin for 3d studio max or another program. Angelmapper probably knows about that.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
And we're getting somewhere apparently. Here's a screenshot of an import of the pickup mesh used for UT's eightball.

Attachments

• milkshape_import_3dfile.jpg
    milkshape_import_3dfile.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

War_Master

May 27, 2005
By the low polys I can tell that that's the pick up mesh and not the 1stpersonview animated mesh. The Milkshape doesnt import the animations from the 3d file and always imports the whole model as one Material even if the mesh had more than one. That's one big reason why people weren't able to use the Milkshape to modify anything from UT or UT2k4 into UT. It's kind of false advertisement about the program Importing Unreal mesh files the way I see it though.

I thought you were asking for a way to export the meshes and not just the skin/textures of the models, those can just be exported using UED into pcx files.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
Ideally, I'd just need the uv maps with the hope diehard can redo textures for models too.

War_Master

May 27, 2005
ya, I always wondered if the Botapck.u textures can be made as S3TC texture package as well and probably the monster skins too. What you might be looking for is the UT Skin Maker which comes with the UT model and SkeletalChars skins in separate zips. I remember there was also one for the UT weapons because I did download one for that program a few years ago.

Jul 8, 2008
Exporting the models with full uv maps intact is actually pretty easy...

I am no means an expert but i have extracted all the player and weapon models with Unreal Package Tool to .3ds format.

When you extract the LOD mesh from UTPT it gives you the option for all frames or single, most of the weapons have frames for the firing animation so you can choose 1 frame or include all in one .3ds file.

Then the .3ds file can be imported into 3ds Max 9 and then textured as well.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
ya, I always wondered if the Botapck.u textures can be made as S3TC texture package as well and probably the monster skins too. What you might be looking for is the UT Skin Maker which comes with the UT model and SkeletalChars skins in separate zips. I remember there was also one for the UT weapons because I did download one for that program a few years ago.

UTX files shouldn't be too much off a problem but I don't know about U files. Better ask Diehard if there are any obstacles in doing this. There's nothing stopping swapping textures or classes around with a mutator though.

I'll check out this UT Skin Maker.

@urPackage: Thanks, that sounds like very useful information. I'll have a look when I can.

Edit: I just tried exporting a mesh to individual 3ds files and I get a read error when importing into Milkshape. Maybe it will work with 3dsm.
Edit2: Turning off smoothing groups seems to help.

Last edited: