Expansion Pack List Part 2

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
This is a sequel to this thread that got unfortunately locked (the spambot entered the thread about hot chicks of bluff eversmoking).

https://forums.beyondunreal.com/threads/the-lost-expansions-extensive-list.208347/

Since I ommited few things and later found out about them, I'd like to add to the list.

1. The first cancelled idea: "Abyss of ????"

Back in the Unreal Bible, the document that originated probably around very early 1997/late 1996, back in the more open-world idea for Unreal there was an entrance to a level pack already that was going to be titled "Abyss of ????". Whether this title for the first official level pack would be kept is unknown.

But basically you would be able to enter it from the unreal's main map, or one of them, once the pack would be avaiable, otherwise it would display something similar to an order screen for shareware version. Besides most of the old Unreal maps from then never survived in any form apart from maps like Dig and Extreme surviving in redesigned form. And ton of other from later developement too during 1997, all of which could easily make up some "lost levels" addon.

2. Cancelled addon pack number two in this list:
"A World Gone Dead" by Creative Carnage: I didn't include this in the list at first because I didn't realize it wasn't a separate game. Originally this was slated to be actually the first third party but gti published expansion pack. It later was "unauthorized/decanonized" and went under the wizardworks deal purely (this might not be entirely accurate but it was to be published under the wizardworks brand hundred percent). It was later advertised as a TC rather than just a mission pack CD. No screenshots are surviving, but a lot of leftover scripts ended up in steele dawn during the 220 period for the pack and of course the carnagecam/unreal director's suite mods were created originally for this pack. This was later repurposed even for the Return to Na Pali pack, which makes it have t least files/leftover stuff from three separate projects in the end. Originally this wasn't approved by Mark Rein and later when it was in production it was silently dropped by wizardworks by the end of 1998, most likely due to internal politics and the wizardworks brand ending.
A small magazine article mentioned a new weapon called the "LawnMower" and it was obviously going to feature zombies.
Robert Perry who went on to form Digitalo, originally worked for this on a system of interactive puzzles. Some of his ideas later ended up for that dropped UT addon which ultimately became Unreal Devastation or Devastation as released later as separate game. Its funny how the fates of all these packs kind of blend together.

3. Unknownly named addon by Impel Productions: Yes, the guys behind the "third" expansion pack for Quake, although more "bootleg" than canonical, have developed one also for Unreal. Very little is known about this apart from few vague details.

4. "Stone Killer" by Inferno Interactive. This might not qualify as such but for the heck of it I'm including it in this list. This was, after all, after Level infinity, Creative carnage/sillysoft yet another team that had previously released or tried to release a shadow warrior addon. In their case they did release it as "The Last Warrior" which is often forgotten addon for SW and could heave easily made into the addon lists. Now while TLW had few gun replacements and boss replacements, it was still arguably like shadow warrior otherwise. With Stone Killer it was more like TC or PC rather than an expansion pack. So the word "addon" is more appropriate here. Surprisingly a lot of screenshots survived and after the sucess of recovering so much from SD, I'm trying to repeat the same here eventually. I already received the music files from the musician. This was a very unique mod that got kind of cut at the edges towards the end of the developement and the authors tried to port this/remake it under UT, which is where this project finally ended. Again there were technical difficulties and they had to drop the singleplayer portion before ultimately cancelling it. One thing to note though is that one of the new multiplayer modes was called "Greed". Hmm, where have I heard that name before? *flashback to ut3 titan pack* *another flashback to the ut2004 mod* https://www.moddb.com/mods/greed

5. possibly the DiaCra game on the Unreal Engine by anarchy arts could have started as an addon pack too. The screenshots are currently lost.
They also developed expansion pack for the game ShoGo.

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
Apparently they did release the voice pack for stonekiller on UT at some point:
https://www.gamers.org/pub/mirrors/ftp.planetquake.com/planetunreal/inferno/SKTaunts.exe

The same site archive has missing the original non-mac release of "the last warrior" though. So the mac version https://www.gamers.org/pub/games/sw/tc/lwarrior/ - this is for shadow warrior, not Unreal
and the source port versions are the only things there now.

http://swcentral.weebly.com/lastwarrior.html

This also mentions Revelation: The Forgotten
as obviously another abandoned Unreal pack.

Last edited:

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.