"Expanded Onslaught"

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

carmatic

Jan 31, 2004
hmm treasure hunt prelude to matches?

if this is so, maybe the artifacts should become more and more obvious as the time passes, so it doesnt get boring and turn into a team deathmatch game instead... also its not gonna be easy deciding where 'random' is without actually breaking the gametype by having an arti spawn down a chasm or on a top of a mesa where nobody can reach it, in ut2k3 and 2k4 you have botpaths which can be relied on as 'safe' places to drop something, but no such thing exists for xmp...

what i was thinking, is like, 2 fully functional bases where the teams have to breach through subsystem after subsystem, it doesnt have to be identical, just evenly matched... i guess its not gonna be easy to make a balanced level thats this complicated, but i'll keep on talking about it anyway...

like the artifacts power certain subsystems that belongs to your base, maybe one can come after another , or they can be taken independantly , but they all should serve some purpose of defending the capture machine and help your base actually look like a base... removing an artifact from one of them shuts it down , and retrieving the corresponding artifact re-enables it... you know, stuff ranging from stationary shields to auto turrets to 'radiant goodies' (like auto turrets, but shoots at your own team, and heals/gives ammo/shields instead of hurts) to security systems (continuously hacks panels in your base and maybe other stuff in your teams favour,if you take down your enemy's , deploy points and generators they own are half-hacked by the time you reach them, and your own stuff are harder to hack away from you)
maybe its a bad idea, but at least it encourages teamwork...

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Indian said:
Uhhh...I never said a word about that :p
Considering the resources LE had for XMP, they did a fine job IMO.

Never meant to give you the idea I thought you had. Apologies. But it IS a valid statement.

Twrecks

Spectacularly Lucky
Mar 6, 2000
In Luxury
www.twrecks.info
Dead_Metal said:
to have each team pick up the artis out on the field in random locations so that until the team picks up their corresponding arti's and bring em back to the base, the game can't began, so no real base whoring in that. - just working on it.

Dood,
Why not just start the game with LOW energy?
1. Can't Register Artifacts (no base rapes & 1 minute games)

Starting with field placed artis is too Bombing Run.
I don't want to see any major Gameplay changes making this a different game, might as well work on XON.

Dead_Metal

I'm something - But I don't know what.
Feb 13, 2004
First off anything that changes the way the gameplay is would be more of an option for someone who owns/controls a server to activate or disengage at their call. Also its not really like bombing run cause the blue team has to get their two artis and the the red their two artis, the only silly thing i can think of for it is that someone from another team will camp one of those artis....but if they did that wouldn't their team get pissed for slowing down the game? - This is just an idea I had that would keep base raping from happening. There could be a way to have generators give out their same amount of energy just at a slower pace so ppl wouldn't be able to base rape anyways, but that doesn't solve the problem of two ppl from a team coming in and takin the artis and running off....although it does by u some time to kill them. In any case we should just discuss this out to get a fine tuned idea for the CXP.

Thank you for pointing this out. ^.^

carmatic

Jan 31, 2004
ok so rushing basically aint workin... and starting with low energy is a good idea... but what we want to avoid here is base raping, so im going to start thinking again....

what about having the 'default' artifacts (the ones that you start with)spawn at a definitely accesible place (a random generator, spawn point, vehicle spawn, teleport, whatever) which your team owns... and only the other team's artifacts stay at your capture machine, so that you only get base raped when your actually winning...

does this mean that if the other team goes and hack every single hackable thing in the level and the arti happens to spawn in the spawn point right next to your base, your gonna win easily? well first of all theres an underlying system in xmp that encourages you to hack stuff for yourself, especially the generators cuz you'll lose if you run out of energy... but also, the artifact would first spawn in one of the base's unhackable spawn points, so if you dont do anything in a game you'll run out of energy and get base raped ...
it keeps people looking around the entire map, and definitely encourages proper xmp gameplay hopefully...

Last edited:

Dead_Metal

Feb 13, 2004
Agreed Dai, and Indian u forget the luck factor, some ppl get lucky even when players are defending, either that or they got some skill :}

carmatic

Jan 31, 2004
hmm by the use of logic in language, does he not already account for luck when he said 'usually'?

PF Prophet

Dec 9, 2003
dia i gotta agree with 99% of what dead said

"your" "idea" takes deapth away from the game and to true XMP players thats not a good thing

classes are what make XMP something toatly dif from ONS and other ut games tribes wouldnt be to your liking eather to much work and to restrictive

xmp isnt 1 game play style its more like 3

tdm:team death match

ctf: cap the flag

c&h: capture and hold

really its alot less ctf then c&h becouse flags are just point counters and in xmp points dont really matter its how well your TEAM works togather

xmp should be given away free officaly(its alreaddy free if u have the no cd patch)

the reasion xmp didnt do as well as ut has ZERO to do whit the game it self its got to do with A) lack of advertising B) master server alwase being down
yeah xmp lost players when ut2k4demo came out but most of those people who played xmp couldnt get a server list for xmp if they wanted to
and ofcorse ut2k4 has been hyped and spamed allover the net for what 6months(minimum)

xmp got basickly ZERO advertising

oh and about ur review LMFAO the people who say that xmp isnt deep arnt really playing it for all its worth

i have played MENNY online games in the years since i first got into starsiege and you know what i have played ut99/2k* and unreal1 online really u1 co-op is more fun then any of the ut2k4 play styles to me becouse its team based not just dm

i also play tribes1/2 and to compare tribes games with turrny/arena based games is like comparing doom with unreal1 yeah there are some simalaritys but the games are also drastickly dif as well

try and compare everquest and ut2k4 same kinda thing IMHO XMP isnt about FRAG FEAST its about team work

you must cap and hold energy as well as cap and hold arties

oh Twrecks i would love to see a mutator that made it impossable to reg arties in say the first 5-10 min maby make the arties explode if u grab them in that first few min
or make it so when they grab the artie it sucks like 800e off there power bar(just a number off top of my head)

i cant code so i would be useless in any attempt to make a good anti quick game mutator

this mod would be an insult to xmp if it was said to be "what xmp should have been" or any other ignorant comment of that nature if u make a mod for 2k4 PLZ dont call it xmp or even compare it to xmp unless its s strate PORT of the game with no changes to game balance or play style

oh and yes xmp is perfectly balanced IF you dont move/dodge your probbly gonna get sniped
hell i can take on any class with any other class and have a 50/50 chance of winning as long as im not lagging and the other guys just not a leet player of the other class :p

carmatic

Jan 31, 2004
PF Prophet said:
dia i gotta agree with 99% of what dead said

"your" "idea" takes deapth away from the game and to true XMP players thats not a good thing

classes are what make XMP something toatly dif from ONS and other ut games tribes wouldnt be to your liking eather to much work and to restrictive

xmp isnt 1 game play style its more like 3

tdm:team death match

ctf: cap the flag

c&h: capture and hold

really its alot less ctf then c&h becouse flags are just point counters and in xmp points dont really matter its how well your TEAM works togather

xmp should be given away free officaly(its alreaddy free if u have the no cd patch)

the reasion xmp didnt do as well as ut has ZERO to do whit the game it self its got to do with A) lack of advertising B) master server alwase being down
yeah xmp lost players when ut2k4demo came out but most of those people who played xmp couldnt get a server list for xmp if they wanted to
and ofcorse ut2k4 has been hyped and spamed allover the net for what 6months(minimum)

xmp got basickly ZERO advertising

oh and about ur review LMFAO the people who say that xmp isnt deep arnt really playing it for all its worth

i have played MENNY online games in the years since i first got into starsiege and you know what i have played ut99/2k* and unreal1 online really u1 co-op is more fun then any of the ut2k4 play styles to me becouse its team based not just dm

i also play tribes1/2 and to compare tribes games with turrny/arena based games is like comparing doom with unreal1 yeah there are some simalaritys but the games are also drastickly dif as well

try and compare everquest and ut2k4 same kinda thing IMHO XMP isnt about FRAG FEAST its about team work

you must cap and hold energy as well as cap and hold arties

oh Twrecks i would love to see a mutator that made it impossable to reg arties in say the first 5-10 min maby make the arties explode if u grab them in that first few min
or make it so when they grab the artie it sucks like 800e off there power bar(just a number off top of my head)

i cant code so i would be useless in any attempt to make a good anti quick game mutator

this mod would be an insult to xmp if it was said to be "what xmp should have been" or any other ignorant comment of that nature if u make a mod for 2k4 PLZ dont call it xmp or even compare it to xmp unless its s strate PORT of the game with no changes to game balance or play style

oh and yes xmp is perfectly balanced IF you dont move/dodge your probbly gonna get sniped
hell i can take on any class with any other class and have a 50/50 chance of winning as long as im not lagging and the other guys just not a leet player of the other class :p
whos idea? my anti baserape / assault / whatever posts , or this whole thread in general?

after all, alot of things you said were pretty obvious on their own...xmp is a free addon for unreal 2, and basically it looks like to me that legend realized how bad unreal 2 singleplayer was and decided that it would be better for their image if they didnt try to keep on hyping unreal 2

i think that xmp can benefit from ut2k4's upgraded vehicle system... some may find it too subtle, but for me better vehicles mean more fun and will definetly be good for xmp... i was just thinking of what might help certain bad situations in xmp ...and since only the 'expanded' part of the name will be transferred, there should be no problem with the names...

yes i like your idea of the power draining /exploding artifacts but lets not make it a fixed amount of time... instead , let it be based on how well each team is doing...like an enemy artifact drains life/explodes randomly when you hold it by default,making early caps nearly impossible, it eases up if your team has less spawn points than the other team...if one team has too much control of the energy on a map, getting/losing an artifact spills some of their energy to the opposite team, impending the dominating team's progress and giving the losing team another chance, or simply make losing the game more excruciating if they suck too much... this should make stealing artifacts an even more major event than it is now...
hmm thinking about it, this doesnt help one bit when everyone on a team thinks that someone else is going to go for the artifact and they all go base raping the other team while someone on the other team slips right past them and grabs both their artifacts... maybe theres a reason why vehicles are 2-man? so if a team is actually cooperating, it should play out like a vehicular ctf, with turrets and other vehicles shooting each other, etc etc, but that really rarely happens...

geez if only i can do unrealscript, and not saddled with homework scripts....

PF Prophet

Dec 9, 2003
the point of the arti exploding or a large power drain from YOUR team on grabing is to STOP these asses that try and make every game a rush

not to change the balance of the game or anything like that

just to make the game more fun for everybody

PF Prophet

Dec 9, 2003
indian only problm with not changing xmp at all is all these god offel 5min games that do happen WAY to offten

i think adding exploding arties for the first 5-10 min of the game would add an element of fun also would allow the teams time to setup a defence and get energy means a harder fight then just runn up in a rap grab bouth arties and run back and cap game over

carmatic

Jan 31, 2004
yeah, the short 'rush' type games kind of ruin it for me, like the game starts, then a team wins and i didnt know what happened... the important thing in xmp is knowing what is going on, and telling you that your artifacts are stolen and then 1 minute later that the opposing team has won isnt enough...
i say that if a team wants to rush, it will have to rush in an obvious way, so that they awe their opponents, not annoy everyone with their fast wins...
having a 'no-artifact' period at the beginning of a game diverts everyone's attention to generators and spawn points, as well as racking up a good dose of kills... it gives more emphasis to the cnh and tdm aspects of xmp like you pointed out, but once the artifacts spawn at the end of that countdown, a rush would still be a rush, albeit a less annoying one because everyone has had a fair bit of gameplay by then already...

thats why i say , the spawn points should matter when it comes to lethal artifacts, its not mainly a game balancing thing, its a mechanism to stop rush games... oh well maybe having the artifact hurt its carrier in such an obvious way is too much... but people should be forced to hack spawn points, as well as energy sources to power their capture machine in the first place, and the chances of succesfully capturing an artifact would have something to do with the number of spawn points, and so it does have some balancing options too...practically, if you hack a spawn point in the middle of the level, you have expanded your base, which should make it easier to cap artis if you have proper teamwork i.e. artifact carrier, artifact carrier's defender, backup, etc etc all the way to the people who are defending the spawn points, while the exploding artifacts should deter the lone artifact runners...

in onslaught , there is a continuous battlefront, which everybody can participate in thanks to the linking bases... in xmp there is just focus on energy, and a ctf element, so thats why i think that abit of continuity in the form of spawn-point control balance is good for solving rushed games...

Dai

Orgasmetron
Apr 2, 2000
Finding a new low
Visit site
Well, "Porphet", I got to disagree with 100% of "your" "ideas". You're wrong, it's that's simple. :eek:

And how about proof-reading your posts in the future? Your posts are virtually close to unreadable.

Dragon_Myr

Mar 4, 2004
I will support an XMP game type to UT2004. There are so many advantages to doing that and the community will throw a lot more support behind it. However, XMP for UT2004 must nearly precisely be the same as XMP as it is now. No major changes should be made to gameplay. Maybe some enhancements, but that's it.

I personally plan to release my creations for both XMP and UT2004.

-Myr

Dead_Metal

Feb 13, 2004
Whose to say what is right and wrong? - everything is an idea, face it we could all be wrong for that matter, its all perspective - uh yeah - good luck and CXP will continue!!!!!
XMP was in the original design for Unreal 2 jsyk.

PS - ut2k4 + xmp mod will be a travesty unless done to the full extent of what XMP is. Convert ye of ut2k4 to be ye of 2k4 and XMP as what I'd hope to see.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.