EULA clarifications, "game" use, etc. info

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
Daid303 said:
Stuff to create:
IRC, AI, 3D simulations (not 100% accurate, but what gives? it's realtime)

Stuff to lean:
How does OOP work?
How do 3D vector maths work?
.... someone help me over here? :)
How to use the Unreal Engine in general? :)

punk129

!!!!!!!!!!!11111111111
Jan 18, 2003
Germany
www.punk129.com
You also can teach your students at school. If you come into the school with a copy of UT2003 to teach the students using the UEd the students' parents start crying! (Don't know how it's in the USA, but in Germany it's like I described)

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
in the USA if it's a college level class, the parent's can't say anything anyways. They can sure whine and whatever, but the students don't HAVE to take the course and it's the teachers prerogative what to include in the course material. I sure wish we had game programming courses at my university.

AmazingJas

Oct 18, 2003
Visit site
But if you use it at school (and do some homework with it) and then give it to your teacher to mark: you have distributed it and therefore broken the EULA..Forget it, it's useless now for even learning game stuff now.

[SAS]Solid Snake

Jun 7, 2002
New Zealand
www.digitalconfectioners.com
you have distributed it and therefore broken the EULA

It depends what the original project was. If it was a game design project then yes. If it was an AI logic program than no. Granted that the definition of a game is very loose, but basically what Epic don't want is people to release games out to the public which will hinder their sales, which is a fair thing to do. So they don't want people release RunTime Tournament or something.

Forget it, it's useless now for even learning game stuff now.
It is still a good tool and will be valuable to the game design schools there. They can use the RunTime to show what is capable in the game and the limitations of making game content. Possibilities of being able to tell stories and concepts but in an interactive way. Limitations such as why you can't have 1000000 polygons for a stone that will populate the field. These kind of projects and learnings aids are much better since user developed engines usually aren't fast enough compared to commercially developed engines.

The RunTime is created for that purpose and this sole purpose. Read the other posts why this is.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
IMO turning an assignment in to your teacher who then grades it and does nothing more with it is hardly what I would consider distribution.

Besides the fact you would be giving out your code. I mean for heavens sake...you could just give your code to your teacher and let them do what they want with it. Especially if teachers have their own models, etc that you have to build off of.