1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Epic's Rainmakers

Discussion in 'News & Articles' started by hal, May 14, 2008.

1. MonsOlympus

MonsOlympus Active Member

Meh Ive given up even trying to fight against it now, developers can do what they want there will be people here to bring PC from the ashes there always is.

Atari crashed, Sega Crashed (but they made alot on arcades), Amiga Crashed! IBM compatible PC its still here, hmmz its main competitor, IBM :lol:

2. Armagon917

Armagon917 TOAST

Agreed, we have smart minds out there trying to figure out a solution to piracy. A great mod community across all genres so I'm not worried. The will to work with PC as a gaming platform alone will keep it alive.

Off topic a bit. Whats up with Sweeney always bragging about his car. I saw that on the GOW bonus disc. We got it you can afford nice cars whoo. I have a Honda CBR! guys a 2007 Honda CBR. Did I mention I have a Honda CBR? :lol: A nice big TV as well.

3. MonsOlympus

Well I drove the mansory bently today cause the ferrari is in getting kitted out and the lambo got defected :lol:

4. Armagon917

Armagon917 TOAST

Did I mention I have a Honda CBR. You should dynamat for the system totally dude. Ya know while its in the shop. I mean for your Ferrari doesn't the bently already have a system. I think you mentioned that in like 5 pervious posts. DUH! I should've remembered. heh :lol:

Last edited: May 16, 2008
  5. Fordy

Fordy Member

Well if software is made pirate proof, there goes the modding community! Well we all know modders only use ripped versions of Max and Maya, with perhaps very, very few exceptions. ;)

6. elmuerte

elmuerte Master of Science

Part of the modding community maybe. But I don't use tools like Max or Maya

7. MonsOlympus

Does Epic release their models/rigs in a free format? :eek:

8. Crotale

Crotale _________________________ _______________

I'm not sure that is true about the pirate-proofness, but I believe most modders (sic) who pirate Max or Maya do so because they can. It has little to do with cost of the software. If cost was the single and true issue, they would go with free open source software such as Blender.

9. Armagon917

Armagon917 TOAST

I'm an exception. I use Max, Zbrush and Photoshop all paid for. But I understand what you're saying. There are in fact a lot of modders using pirated modeling packages. A great number of them like myself are trying to get into the gaming industry and buy the needed software. So who knows what the numbers are.

I also know a lot of people who use Blender. Photoshop and Zbrush are priced well but IMO $3495 is unreasonable for Max 2009. Luckily I got Max from school and from a person who didn't have a clue as to what he had. Some guy changing majors.:D Glad I found that flyer first! Boxed commerical version!

Last edited: May 16, 2008
  10. Armagon917

Armagon917 TOAST

You can go into Unreal Ed using a plugin, I forgot which one so the normals don't come out all F up. You select a mesh and export as a .obj file which you can then open with Max, Maya, and other modeling apps. As far as characters go I have all the UT2004 characters which I got from a friend while we were studying them for a machinima project. I'm not sure how he got them/can't remember. It was college and all I remember was modeling and beer.

11. Phopojijo

Phopojijo A Loose Screw

[screenshot]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v342/Phopojijo/maya.jpg[/screenshot]

12. elmuerte

elmuerte Master of Science

me too
    [screenshot]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v342/Phopojijo/maya.jpg[/screenshot]

13. Phopojijo

Phopojijo A Loose Screw

Dude, that's my dehumidifier o_O

14. Jrubzjeknf

Jrubzjeknf Registered Coder

me too

/bandwagon

15. Fuzzle

Fuzzle spam noob

I'm not sure if this was posted before - can't find it on first glance - but escapist also has a video interview up with cliffy.

Not a huge deal of interesting dialogue, but it was pretty cool to get a look at their offices.

16. Hedge-o-Matic

Hedge-o-Matic New Member

Glad to see I'm not the only one turned off by Epic's business news. BU and PU used to be about the games, and the community's efforts, and now we're subjected to news about business mergers and middleware licensing deals. Epic banned me from their boards for having the temerity to talk about their business practices, and yet we're supposed to maintain interest in the endless stream of such news?

That article is pathetic, since it just shows how tone-deaf Epic has become to the opinions of their consumers. Too bad. They were cool, ten years ago.

Last edited: May 20, 2008
  17. hal

hal Dictator Staff Member

Well we're still about games and community efforts and report on that as well. Picking's are just a little slim as of late. :) Besides, what Epic does and says as a company affects your experience as an end-user.