Epic's Mike Capps: We Love PC, But...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Cr4zyB4st4rd

I make awesome ©
Aug 8, 2008
P'Boro, UK
The Sixth Axis opens up discussion on an article found in the current issue of Edge in which Epic Games' President, Mike Capps, once again touches on the topic of piracy and its impact on the changing face of PC gaming.

Epic was a PC company. We did one PS2 launch title, and everything else was PC. And now, people are saying 'Why do you hate the PC? You're a console-only company.'"

"And guess what?" he says, "It's because the money's on console."

"We still do PC, we still love the PC, but we already saw the impact of piracy: it killed a lot of great independent developers and completely changed our business model."

Balton

The Beast of Worship
Mar 6, 2001
Berlin
[GU]elmur_fud;2438506 said:
xbox killed PC gaming, piracy was the emo kid cutting across the street instead of up. Capps has his head too far up xbox's butt to see past their crap.

to see past the fact that piracy is running rampant on 360 too ;)

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
This is nothing Capps hasen't said before, he's been saying it since he ragequit the PC over bad GoW-PC reviews.

DarQraven

Jan 20, 2008
To some extent I agree with him. Piracy IS probably the sole reason developers are jumping platforms. If this was actually necessary is an entirely different issue though.

What ACTUALLY happened is that piracy has always been around, yet developers got lazy and didn't serve the PC market well (applying console standards to PC games, whose users held them to higher standards), therefore noticing a drop in sales.

Instead of identifying the other half of the problem (****ty games), they figured it must be piracy alone causing this decline in sales.
Simple, yet sad.

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
Ahh Mike Capps, the one who bitched because Gears of War(PC) got a lower review than the 360 version. An extra 3 hours doesn't a better review make.

Did he not realize that his precious GoW2 was pirated to hell and back? Does he not realize that the wii is just as bad in piracy as the pc is? Hell even the ps3 is getting or has been cracked, though it took forever in a day. This guy needs to get his head out of his ass and get a reality check. Piracy is everywhere.

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
What ACTUALLY happened is that piracy has always been around, yet developers got lazy and didn't serve the PC market well (applying console standards to PC games, whose users held them to higher standards), therefore noticing a drop in sales.

Instead of identifying the other half of the problem (****ty games), they figured it must be piracy alone causing this decline in sales.
Simple, yet sad.

I could not have put it any better myself, a heartfelt "Bravo" to you, good sir.

BITE_ME

Bye-Bye
Jun 9, 2004
Not here any more
LOL
I just bought Frontlines-Fuel Of War.

For $2.00

It's the DRM crud that's killing the games. I'm not ever going to pay full retal for some thing that's going to fudge-up my PC's.
It takes me over 3 weeks to reinstall 400Gbs of software.

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
Made good games. make them work online. Stop forcing unworkable DRM on us.

Bad developers are killing PC games.

Shocking online functionality is killing PC games.

DRM is killing PC games.

It's a simple triumvirate of failure, and we're the only ones who are going to suffer. There's a reason I long since made the choice to stop supporting Epic products.

togmkn

tog-em-kay-en
Jun 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
Blah blah more doom and gloom for PC gaming. If PC gaming is dying (which it is sure taking a long time to do), it must be going through its bucket list right now, because there have been some awesome games out for PC lately.

Hideinlight

May 12, 2008
Heroes of Newerth just hit 30k concurrent players a few days after going retail.
Just to put it in perspective (taken from steam):

86,090 91,395 Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 - Multiplayer
82,145 85,376 Counter-Strike: Source
65,593 67,265 Counter-Strike
31 000 31 000 Heroes of Newerth
21,766 21,890 Football Manager 2010
20,614 20,644 Team Fortress 2
18,579 20,672 Portal
16,279 16,311 Left 4 Dead 2
10,008 10,008 Battlefield: Bad Company 2
9,238 9,610 Empire: Total War
7,808 7,991 Garry's Mod

Best part of all? They are an indie company and didn't even use popular distribution platforms like Steam to get their game out. Also HoN had almost zero marketing, they relied almost solely on word of mouth.

cp60x9vkzz7bcj9rgon0.jpg

EPIC just did it wrong!

Crotale

_________________________ _______________
Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
The use of the neocon tag is a stroke of epic proportion.

You guys are reading too much into this. Mike states that consoles are where the money is right now. If console love started waning and players migrated en masse back to PC, guess where Epic would go? It ain't rocket science.

Raynor.Z

Ad Nocendum Potentes Sumus
Feb 1, 2006
Same old, same old.
Currently I see various DRM schemes that do real damage to PC games (for people who actually bought the game) and bad console ports.
Again - same old... move on.