1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Epic sells Gears of War franchise to Microsoft

Discussion in 'Games' started by Raynor.Z, Jan 27, 2014.

1. Raynor.Z

Raynor.Z Ad Nocendum Potentes Sumus

Newsworthy?

http://news.xbox.com/2014/01/games-microsoft-studios-gears-of-war

Could this increase the chances for new Unreal title? I definitely hope so.

2. Jefe

Jefe The Dark Rat

Would be nice.

3. Al

Al Reaper

Meh. It just means GoW won't be on PS4.

4. Crotale

Crotale _________________________ _______________

Microsoft has always had publishing rights to the Gears franchise, this move just gave them sole ownership of the IP as well.

I doubt this means any movement on the Unreal games front. Heck, I stopped hoping for that years ago, not to mention the squandered opportunities from the Samaritan demo that could have spawned a whole new series of games, books, etc.

I do hope this alleged "shooter" they are working on brings back some of the lost glory of the UT days. Man, wouldn't that be something?

5. AWW SNACK

AWW SNACK New Member

These days, I assume that Epic is an engine-making company with a barebones game-making crew that never gets anything past the prototype stage.

6. JohnDoe641

JohnDoe641 Killer Fools Pro Staff Member

What ever happened to that zombie game they had going? Did that die too?

7. AWW SNACK

AWW SNACK New Member

The only thing they released was that trailer years ago. I'd say it's probably dead at this point.

8. Nevzat

Nevzat Member

someone need to take unreal franchise too

9. ambershee

ambershee Nimbusfish Rawks

There was a 500 person public alpha in November.

10. UBerserker

UBerserker old EPIC GAMES

Epic is done with Gears

Fortnite is still going on.
    They also mentioned UE4 titles to come out in 2015.

11. Leo(T.C.K.)

Leo(T.C.K.) Well-Known Member

No, it's undead. Just like the zombies.

Either way, so the Gears franchise will go on but without Cliff or anyone like that, so much for more milking out of franchise, it should have ended with that prequel thing. And no I think that would be really bad if the Unreal franchise rights went to Microsoft. Never would want that to happen. I think the next Unreal game shouldn't be done by Epic though at least not entirely because there's hardly anyone of the core team left(minus like two persons or smth) and who is also a true fan. What should happen is to have a team with true dedication for the game while epic provides the engine. This way less screwups can happen unless its headed by someone like Atari in case of Legend's Unreal 2. The next game should be completely opposite of that, but I guess that's just daydreaming. New teams can have fresh ideas yet bring in a lot of old flavor and references so it isn't unlike a true unreal game. Just needs a lot of dedication for the project.

12. ambershee

ambershee Nimbusfish Rawks

Unreal 2 was developed by Legend, the same folks who handled Return to Na Pali.

13. SkaarjMaster

SkaarjMaster enemy of time

How about the BUF team makes the next UT game?;):)

14. Al

Al Reaper

15. Carbon

Carbon Altiloquent bloviator.

Meh...was never into GoW anyhow. Yes, it seems Epic are an engine developer now, but still, here's hoping they either develop another Unreal title or sell that to someone who has some passion for the series.

16. HugoMarques

HugoMarques ☆☆☆☆☆

Zero fucks were given. Also, at this point, Epic Games should rename themselves to Epic Game Engines.

17. Leo(T.C.K.)

Leo(T.C.K.) Well-Known Member

Yes, but I said "headed" by Atari. Atari pulled lots of stops/decisions on the developement ultimately. Besides those aren't the same folks that handled RTNP. RTNP was an afterthought after original levelpack/expansion plans were cancelled. Being the only surviving team from the gti license fray, the job went to Legend, but it wasn't the full team, instead contractors worked on that almost exclusively, compared to say what comprised of the wheel of time team.
    Atari/Infogrames had pushed the removal of multiplayer idea forward and other stuff and they closed down Legend based on disagreements later on, so it's very telling who was in charge.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  18. DarkED

DarkED The Great Oppression

I really don't understand this move. The Gears franchise was essentially a license for Epic to print money.

19. Sir_Brizz

Sir_Brizz Administrator Staff Member

Epic didn't want to maintain it anymore, and Microsoft probably offered a huge wad of cash.

20. Rambowjo

Rambowjo Das Protoss

One can only hope that selling Gears will allow Epic to focus on PC. Tim Sweeney seems pretty big on Nvidia and Oculus, which are pretty much exclusive PC things.

When GDC/E3 comes around, we'll hopefully get a proper look at Fortnite.