1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Epic Launches UT Facebook Page

Discussion in 'News & Articles' started by hal, Mar 16, 2012.

1. hal

hal Dictator Staff Member

A tweet by Cliff Bleszinski kicked off the launch of an Unreal Tournament Facebook page. Though Epic is planning no UT announcements, he does hang this tantalizing carrot:

2. Crotale

Crotale _________________________ _______________

That rat bastid, playing "whack-a-mole" with our feelings like that. You think he's for real?

3. Plumb_Drumb

Plumb_Drumb yumb

Do *I* like Unreal Tournament? Yes, and apparently a lot of other people do to, hence the sequels you guys made. Duh.

4. DeathBooger

DeathBooger Malcolm's Sugar Daddy

Not holding my breath this time. UT is dead to me until proven otherwise. Besides, any sequel would be on the iPad most likely the way things are going.

EDIT: Actually, it'll probably be an online flash game. Say goodbye to custom maps and mods.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
  5. Arnox

Arnox UT99/2004 Mod Crazy

Is he talking about the original UT or just UT in general?

6. Kyllian

Kyllian if (Driver == Bot.Pawn); bGTFO=True;

If those assclowns hadn't fvcked up UT3 and abandoned PC for the 360 there would still be interest in the UT franchise

7. [GU]elmur_fud

[GU]elmur_fud I have balls of Depleted Uranium

The referenced stickskills article presents the question of what you would like to see in a new game. Personally I would like to see ut3 or better visuals and gameplay mechanics that are a blend of UT99 and UT2k4. UT2k4 custom content ease with with next features and power. Now is that too much to ask hmmm? .... yeah probably is.

8. Wowbagger

Wowbagger Curing the infection...

I have started to play UT3 again recently, mostly TAM/BTA.
    But my god what an uptight, unfriendly, elitist, humorless bunch of kids it is thats still playing the game.

Its very fun to repeatedly Goo them though.

Regarding a new UT im doubtfull if i even want Epic to touch that but who knows, maybe theres still a click of people there that could make something i would be willing to pay for.

9. nELsOn

nELsOn bSnakeCastShadow = True

And that is basically the reason I hardly ever play online at all. It seems like the majority of people who are playing online are doing it to either insult other people (and their mothers...) or are taking things way too serious. Like "OMG if I mess this round up I'm never gonna go pro and make a living playing games!" :(

As for a new UT - I'd like to see that happen but yeah, not holding my breath. If they do it I hope they schedule enough time after a closed/open beta to include player feedback in the final product ^^

10. Bgood

Bgood New Member

EFF YEAH!

11. Severin

Severin New Member

Nope. (Liked)

If Epic had shown more interest in properly developing and supporting the last version, there probably would be enough interest.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2012
  12. Bgood

Bgood New Member

UT3 kinda let the franchise down ,Console/PC mongrel that it was.

They must know that there's huge residual interest out there in the franchise. I mean, everyone's heard of UT, right? And a "good" '9/10 - 10/10' rated UT would no doubt sell millions.

13. Bi()ha2arD

Bi()ha2arD Toxic!

It will only run on Apple iMicrowaves with ARM cpus.

14. JohnDoe641

JohnDoe641 Killer Fools Pro Staff Member

A new UT? Meh, I don't care about UT anymore, I played the series to death and I'm over the competitive thing so it doesn't hold my interest at all. Even if they did make another one, they'd find a way to screw it up like they did with UT3.

15. hal

hal Dictator Staff Member

Sci-Fi/COD mash-up... go!

16. Arnox

Arnox UT99/2004 Mod Crazy

If they really decided to put in iron sight aiming, it simply would not even be UT anymore.

17. Leak

Leak New Member

It's been done... (for cheesy values of "Sci-Fi" and "COD", of course... :D)

18. Go&nd

Go&nd Meow

My guess is that they've looked at Free-to-Play business models like Quake Live, Team Fortress 2 and Tribes Ascend (which has done well despite still being in beta) and decided the Unreal Tournament brand would be perfect for a continually profitable F2P product.

This would allow them to profit while still in beta, while also empowering them to iterate their beta with feedback from the community.

Despite the skepticism you might read in a hardcore fan forum like this, I think there's an installed based of loyalty to the Unreal Tournament franchise that could make this model work great for them.

(1) Based on brand recognition, high press visibility and brand loyalty, they could probably break even or maybe even profit before they're out of beta.

(2) Based on the number of people who still visit forums like these or who still play the original Unreal Tournament nearly 13 years later or UT2004 nearly 8 years later, I'm guessing they won't find it hard to harpoon a few "whales".

("Whales" in the F2P market are customers who, over the course of their time with the game and through tons of microtransactions, end up spending way more on the game than the standard one-time purchase price of a game. So you make $200 over 25 months with several small transactions compared to just $49.99 in one single transaction.)

The benefit to us would be that this would inevitably be PC-centric.

19. ChookWoods

ChookWoods New Member

my bet is they will release "UT Live" and have UT3 free to play online through flash with a similar model as Quake Live.

20. StalwartUK

StalwartUK Member

Guess this just means that they'll just trot out yet another Unreal Tournament... I'll pass.

If they made a proper Unreal game though, that would really be something.