1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Epic has problems with dates

Discussion in 'Unreal Tournament 3' started by JimmyJ, Dec 28, 2005.

1. JimmyJ

JimmyJ CTF Craver

Theres a 2003, a 2004, and a 1999....what happened to 05 and 06?? Seems that 07 should be called 06 to me, because its not gonna be released my 07, it clearly states that it will be released in 06 :mad:

2. Olga

Olga Miffed

It wasn't a 1999, it was just Unreal Tournament. UT2003 was released in 2002 and UT2004 was released in 2003.

3. Bullet10k

Bullet10k New Member

Here we go again.

Epic made a bad choice with the naming convention, and it seems that they're still sticking with it, and theres nothing we can do to stop them, so just live with it.

4. T2A`

T2A` I'm dead.

If Epic didn't use the year convention people might actually expect to get more than 1.5 years of play out of their games, and that's just unacceptable if Epic wants maximal profit.

5. JaFO

JaFO bugs are features too ...

It's not Epic that has a problem with names ... it's people like you that think that names hold any significance at all.

I don't give a f*ck what they're calling their games. They could have gone for the boring old v1 - v5.1 style of regular software.

6. fuegerstef

fuegerstef New Member

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: OMG, are you serious...?? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

And as said before... ...point me to a game that is named UT99 and I might consider reconsidering my opinions about the considerings of your brain.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2005
  7. Selerox

Selerox COR AD COR LOQVITVR

Also, releasing one game a year is a BAD IDEA THAT NOBODY LIKES.

Talk to any marketing person anywhere and they'll tell you that names matter.

Epic's naming choice for this game is pretty terrible. They say they want to push the game forward into new territories, yet they use a name that will tie the game back directly to the failed UT2003/UT2004. People outside of the UT community are already writing off UT2007 as "more of the same", despite the evidence to the contrary. That wouldn't happen (at least to the extent that it is at the moment) if the name was UT4 for example. It also raises the embaressing question (as has already been noted) about where 2005 and 2006 went. There's not a single good reason for keeping the name as 2007.

8. Maxx

Maxx Bite Me

As long they keep the phrase "Unreal Tournament" in the name it`s ok for me.....
    I prefer good games with bad names to bad games with good names anyways......

9. NeoNite

NeoNite Eternal sunshine

Indeed, a very bad choice..imho.
    Curse this 99 thing. Curse it.

:umno:

Lazy people use the horrible ut99 for the first Unreal Tournament game :)
    It really isn't that difficult. When someone says UT, they must be talking about the first UT game. That's the idea.

If they want to talk about the sequels, why not simply type the horribly long names Ut2003/Ut2004...

But most people think their fingers will fall off after putting such incredible strain on their fingers ;=)

Ah well, I can only laugh at it...
    It's messy.

10. Rk.

Rk. Sleezy bastard.

They should've named the games UT, UT2, UT3/UT2 expansion pack and so on.

11. NeoNite

NeoNite Eternal sunshine

Yeah, but it's also a bit monotonous. UT3, UT4...
    A little extra wouldn't hurt.
    UT4: rise of the nali combat potatoes.. a wild,silly suggestion ;-)
    You get the idea.

Stick to one powerfull word.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2005
  12. Rk.

Rk. Sleezy bastard.

Something else than Envy.

13. neilthecellist

neilthecellist Renegade.

Envy sounds retarded to me. I would've suggested Unreal Tournament: The Storming of Liandri Co. An ACTUAL single player campaign would've kicked ass.

14. Rk.

Rk. Sleezy bastard.

Yeah, with raging wars between Liandri and the necris!

15. neilthecellist

neilthecellist Renegade.

I was gonna make a quick matinee about that, BUT MATINEE IN Unreal Tournament 2004 DOESN'T SUPPORT VEHICLES DAMNIT.

16. Vault

Vault New Member

Unreal Tournament: Redux

not redux as in the drug tho..

17. Rk.

Rk. Sleezy bastard.

Unreal Tournament: Doesn't suck as much as UT2003 and UT2004.

18. nuttella

nuttella Scare

Unreal Tournament 1337

19. Vault

Vault New Member

UTwo: Can Stop Being Stupid

oh sorry, T*

20. shadow_dragon

shadow_dragon is ironing his panties!

If you simple say UT or Uneal Tournament it doesn't automatically mean the frist UT at all, in many cases it represents the whole franchise of Unreal Tournament hence why people will say 2003/2004 or 2k3/2k4 and thus why UT99 came up, because when people were debating specific elements of gameplay over the whole hsitory fo Unreal Tournament it was necesary to specify.

Also people who are still stressing about the name of the next game being UT:Envy, did you not get the memo? That was teh name of the game whilst in development and was never intended as it's name on release but, thus far UT2007 seems to be the title.