1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

"Engage" with the NGage ... is anyone?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Keganator, Oct 10, 2003.

1. Keganator

Keganator White as Snow Moderator

Seriously. I have no desire to purchace a handheld game phone that costs $300 and requires me to remove the batteries to change the game. Nor do the ads make me feel like buying it...all the 'killer aps' that they are showing are rehashed versions of games done better on other consoles and computers. Coupled with reading the reviews of it, it seems like the reviewers response is a mix of 'indifferent' to 'disliked'.

All negativity aside...is anyone here interested in getting one? Has anyone gotten one? And if you have, what do you think of it?

2. -Snakebite-

-Snakebite- Hero

Looks like ****. You also look a **** when you phone someone on it. I think the 'cool' kids might buy them though (the muppets).

3. DallasStarsRule

DallasStarsRule making personal insults since 1999

**** the n-gage

nokia is definately gonna be taking the loss on this one

Even the gamefaqs poll, consisting of the stupidest gamers on the net, had something like 0.8% of people buying it.

4. Nightmare

Nightmare Only human

I have a mobile phone. I own a nice PC to play games on. I don't need or want the Ngage. It's a loss-of-profit product IMO, but who knows?

5. G-Fresh

G-Fresh Red

Over priced and very poorly designed. Maybe the much improved version they'll inevitably release in 2 years or so might interest me, but I think I'll be hanging on to my GBA for a while yet.

6. Big_Duke_06

Big_Duke_06 Charlie Don't Surf!

Well, the GBA reigns supreme until the Sony PSP hits the market... Imagine nearly the power of the PS2 in a handheld? Yeah, I want one, too!

Matthew

7. Scuddie

Scuddie I am probably better than you.

IIRC, the PSP is literally a modified version of the PSX. The technology doesn't exist to make the PS2 a handheld. Even the MiniPSX I have right now is a bit too bulky to be a handheld. But yeah, I would DEFINATELY want one of those.

8. Crazy_Ivan

Crazy_Ivan KAR whore

the verdict (as with most of the modern phones) for me

- buttons too small for my fingers
    - ugly (why do these things need to be shiny, they are damaged a lot faster because of that)
    - unergonomic(clumsy layout of buttons for both gameplay and dialing)
    - no other purpose than being another gadget phone.
    - exploding batteries

9. LifesBane(4Corners)

LifesBane(4Corners) Active Member

Well, yes and no. You were sorta right about it being "modified", but not lightly. The CPU is basically the same type as used in the original PlayStaiton, but it's running about 10x faster at 333mhz. There are two 32-bit cores within the processor... the "main" core used for games holds 8MB of DRAM, a floating-point unit, and a Vector Engine similar in concept to the PS2's internal design. The other core, which has 2MB of RAM built in and doesn't feature the extra FPU and vector unit, is used for playing movies and music. It also comes with IEEE 802.II based wireless LAN technology as a standard feature. It can also connect to other PSPs, PCs, and other appliances via IrDA infared tech. or through a USB 2.0 cable.

Paraphrased from GamePro feature from the PlayStation Meeting 2003 conference.

10. SaraP

SaraP New Member

I'll stick with my Nokia 6800, thank you very much.

11. spm1138

spm1138 Irony Is

I can't see how the Ngage possibly could have been good.

Nokia are a bulk producer of (relatively) cheap stuff.

They have no games heritage.

They have no ties to the games industry.

Obviously, the NGage is going to be poorly designed, under-speced and lacking in decent games.

I don't really know what Nokia were thinking even starting to develop something like that on their own.

A phone with a built in gameboy, that I would buy.

12. Big_Duke_06

Big_Duke_06 Charlie Don't Surf!

Notice how I said NEARLY as powerful as the PS2... Big thanks to LifesBane[4C] for clearing up the tech details. Sony has themselves said that it's much closer to the PS2 in performance than the PSOne.

And for whatevery confusing reason, Sony has decided to call the new PS2-based media center thingy the PSX... Which was the original name for the original Playstation... Which I think is now commonly referred to as the PSOne.

Matthew

13. Ranger 223

Ranger 223 MS Paint Pimp

to quote Gabe from penny arcade "it's like they combined a ****ty phone with an even ****tier handheld"

14. MP_Lord_Kee

MP_Lord_Kee New Member

Some thoughts on the subject

Just wanted to point out a few things (most of them obvious). I am slightly biased on the subject but what I say here is completely my own thoughts and not tied to Nokia. (some might be similar naturally :) ) Got a feeling this will be a bit long post so bear with me..(or just ignore the whole thingie)

First of all, I wouldn't buy an N-gage at this moment for my own gaming needs, after all I have an PC, Xbox, DC, 5+ mobiles (9210i for handheld gaming) and a familiy to take care of. I might get one for the kid (8yrs) but she has a phone already. So that leaves 440 million (estimate for next year global mobile sales) buyers to choose one. Nokia has a 35% market share at the moment of the global sales, so still quite many possibilities that an N-Gage is sold. The target until the end of next year is around 6-10 million units sold. That is roughly 5% of all the phones Nokia estimates to sell next year.

So who would buy the freaking thing? Desperated parents during xmas when they have no other ideas? Kids whos friends have one and they want to play togeather? People who are into retro gaming? (emulators are available or will be shortly, just as on other nokia phones...)

People who are into hardcore gaming, owns the latest consoles and highend PCs are not really people who'd be interested in this device (me included) but I think there are "enough" people on this globe that might find this interesting enough.

Have you ever thought how long it takes to develope a mobile? From the idea to shop? Nokia is the first (of many) to come out with a hybrid mobile gaming platform which is a huge task, huge risk but also the smart thing to do. Rest assured there will be new mobiles (with better design, not relying on other mobile designs as n-gage) and not only from Nokia, but others. (Sony-Ericson will bring their version of one next year). Huge advantage to be first on the block, even if it is not a huge success. Read somewhere that the market will grow to some 4 billion $ one in a few years...plenty of cash to scoop in there for everyone.

I for one think N-Gage is very affordable. Some price comparison:
    Lowest price I have seen in Finland for the N-gage is €249. Higest €320. (mind you €=$ more or less). Same phone design, without the gaming features, Nokia 3300 goes for €315. Nokia 3650 for €369. Nokia 7250i for €475. Nokia 9210i that has the closest performance in gaming €790. Ofcourse, other mobiles are less expencive such as Nokia 3100 for just €210. But much less features as well..

So what do you get for €300 if you bought an N-gage?
    - Bluetooth: play wireless multiplayer games with friends. Sounds cool? Use handsfree sets and avoid looking like an arse while talking on this particular phone..
    - Digital music player and recorder. MP3 player...in a phone...nice.
    - Stereo FM radio. I like this feature in a phone, especially when on a working trip to a foreign country, always fun to tune in on some local radio station when only prOn on telly in the hotel..
    - MMS cababilities. (multimedia messages, similar to SMS (text messages) but with pictures and stuff
    - Full email support
    - XHTML browser, basically Java games and apps...nice.
    - Triband phone (900,1800,1900 bands supported)
    - Series 60 UI. This is the BIGGIE. Major feature.
    - MP3, MIDI, WAV as ring tones, very cool features, especially MIDI. Small files, polyphonic(sp?) ring tones...very nice.
    - WAP over GPRS. Affordable internet connection. (you only pay for the amount of data you download/upload, not for the time you are connected)
    + the normal mobile phone stuff, calenders etc etc

Have you guys seen the quality of the screen? It is amazingly sharp. Great backlightning, play in any lightning conditions. Ok, so it is tilted the wrong way but that is just a question of taste and what you are used to. Naturally games should be designed to take advantage of this and not try to squeeze normal games to wrong shaped screen..IMHO

Series 60 UI. This is the killer application in my books. Because of this, you already would have access to hundres of applications for free for this phone. Emulatores, games, buisness applications...you name it. And if you have the skills, you can always create something yourself as it is completely open standard. Not some crappola ala MS with only signed code can be executed.
    So far there seems to be 4 emulators available: E32 Frodo (Commandore 64), GoBoy (Gameboy emulator), ZXBoy (Sinclair Spectrum), and another Gameboy emulator called GamePhone. 394 games also available for series 60 compatible phones right now. (source: my-symbian.com).

You are aware of Nokia Arena? Upload/download screenshots, replays, scores, ranking etc etc to this online community. Shadow play against someone elses highscore. Pretty cool eh? Right from the start opened at launch. For the first mobile/game unit available.

So the few games out there now sucks bananas. I don't actually know as I only tried them myself. I know I don't have any urges to play such games as I get way too much gaming time as it is with other platforms..but, what I think should be noted are the companies behind the games: Sega, Electronic Arts, Eidos, THQ Wireless, Gameloft...someone believes in this buisness atleast.

Ok, enough rambling I guess. As you guys, I know, this ain't something for me. Not yet atleast. But the future devices that will follow might already be something worth considering. As I see it, Nokia has taken a bold step, into a new market, which is partially overlapping with the current gaming market. Much depends on this initial launch for the future and for Nokia, being first out with something like this is an advantage.

Btw, if you are into game development, check this out:
    http://www.n-gage.com/R1/en/developers_gb03.html

//Kee

15. Keganator

Keganator White as Snow Moderator

The first non-fanboy-ish response. Thanks, Lord_Kee :)

16. MP_Lord_Kee

MP_Lord_Kee New Member

My pleasure :)

//Kee

17. JaFO

JaFO bugs are features too ...

'full e-mail support' ... oooh LOL so you get to enjoy reading spam on a tiny screen ?

// wireless headsets ...
    sure ... instead of looking like an idiot with a tiny phone to your head ... you'll look like someone that's talking at the wall. It's very weird to hear someone say 'hi how are you?' and then realise they were speaking to someone on their phone ...
    Stuff like that only looks 'cool' in movies ...

Never mind what all that radiation might do to the few braincells some people have left. Sure there might not be 100% convincing proof, but that happened to alcohol & sigarrettes as well.

btw : just like all the other mobile phones they're given away for 'free' as well. So it's not like you'd have to pay $300 unless you already have a portable microwave for your brain.

18. MP_Lord_Kee

MP_Lord_Kee New Member

Good points Rimmerlister, and I'm not going to argue them. Personally, situation when I'd read email on a mobile would sertainly be of buisness nature, when you sometimes have no other access to important information. Buisness email addresses are pretty spam free (at least I have never gotten any spam in my official email inbox).
    Wireless headsets..well, doesn't look much worse than someone with a walkman IMHO. Some of the newer bluetooth ones are actually pretty cool (if you bend that way).

Never studied those radiation issues. I do recall somewhere something about less risk when using a headset but don't quote me on that. The way I see it anyway, everything is bad for you as it is. You get cancer from this and that, pollution in the air, pollution etc in the water...at the same time people live way too clean, causing allergies to come up. I say, roll in the dirt, that which doesn't kill you makes you stronger...

//Kee

19. JaFO

JaFO bugs are features too ...

but if you've got both sms, voicemail & the mobile phone itself ... e-mail becomes kind of redundant. If the e-mail is *that* important then the chances are pretty good it's too large for your screen as well. At least I can't imagine ever reading an excell-sheet or a word-document on anything less than a 15" monitor ...

Sms may be limited to mobile phones for now, but I think they're starting to experiment for ordinary telephones as well.