Emplacements

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

keihaswarrior

Jan 7, 2003
Seattle
keihaswarrior.home.icq
I think mortars would be fine as long as INF gets away from the current spawning system. If players rode into battle on humvees, helicopters, apcs, etc. then you wouldn't be able to shell the enemy spawn.....

Although, I don't think they should be emplacement weapons unless they are very large. It would be more fun to haul around a light mortar.
-------
It would be cool to use a machine gun or chaingun from a helicopter, a realistic version of the gun used to mow down the agents in The Matrix.

Last edited:

gal-z

May 20, 2003
Ramat-Hasharon, Israel
Visit site
The problem with carrying mortars, automatic grenade launchers and M2HBs is that they take 2-3 people to carry (actually I think M2HB is 4 people). Even the FN MAG has a 2-man team, though the 2nd guy only carries a 250 bullet belt and the cleaning kit, so it's possible to make it a 1-man weapon, though still very heavy (I think the MAG carrier in my platoon carries like 45kg vest +the MAG).

cracwhore

I'm a video game review site...
Oct 3, 2003
Visit site
New weapons suggestions have been debated for almost 3 years. Let's hammer out "vehicles" while we're waiting.

Vehicles that should be used, if any:

Hummers and Blackhawks. The end. I think anything past that scale would make it too much like Desert Combat; and we all know how sweet that game is.... :rolleyes:

Flying above a city for recon/strafing runs/pickups and transportation would be extremely fun. Also, navigating a hummer convoy would be kinda cool. Repelling from the Blackhawks onto rooftops and combat zones is a must. :D

If it's entirely too hard to code something like that, I say keep it how it is. However, with the possibilities the new engine provides, a fella can dream.

A problem I see is, if INF ever goes beyond those two vehicles, it will kinda kill the game. Especially tanks, jets and anything that doesn't revolve around transportation of soldiers.

Besides that, and the obvious additions like nightvision/thermal (I hope), I think snipers should have proper camo suits. I forget the official name of the suit, ecale would probably know. Seems like there should be more equipment for the different types of roles. Can't wait to see a map like "Brikby" on the new engine.

I'm sure INF3.0 will be the best game ever when it's finished. Hopefully SS accepts major community help this time around and we can get this game out within a year. :D (a rough version at least). I will gladly help with animating weapons and such as soon as I'm done taking these comp. anim. classes. So, let's get this party on the road and start offering whatever services we can, weeeee!

-next category to be debated: "How to implement true first person". :D

sir_edmond

In my own world
Aug 12, 2003
Boston
Visit site
I would like someway to call in a airstrike to flush out a choke point, if any? :rolleyes:

any what about chanooks(spell?) they can transport a humvee :D

I was also thinking of civilian cars, minimal amour, and stuff, but ill get you were you want, and if possible people riding inside could shoot out the windows with their own waepons.

Last edited:

Mappie

--Total World Domination--
Nov 9, 2002
maryland, USA
Visit site
In regards to mortars.........Ill post the specifcs later. But in order to put them in realistically, unless they were in a predefined pit, you would need a "crew" to operate it. its more complicated than most think. They are not fired off randomly in a field at soldiers discreation.

Usually base calls, tells u to mortar an area, crew makes adjustments and then fires, the forward observer reports where it landed and tell whats adjustments need to be made if any. There is other things that go into it as well. If they are in Enplacements, i can understand them being implemented, because ( at least in the US army) are put in sandbagged pits. You dont have renegade mortarmen francitally running about kicking ass and taking names. No matter what hollywood tells you.

Arethusa

We will not walk in fear.
Jan 15, 2004
Given the ranges mortars operate at, even on the infantry portable level, it makes more sense to allow players to call in light artillery support without the artillery being handled by players. Even with the UT2k4 engine, the ranges necessary probably won't be happening very often to make it worth dedicating players to.

Mappie

--Total World Domination--
Nov 9, 2002
maryland, USA
Visit site
Also, its worth noting that each mortar (60mm morters to be exact) is operated by 3 people. Once again U.S. army im speaking of. one person carries the bipod, one carries the tube and one caries the BasePlate. One is the Gunner, one is the Assist Gunner, and one is the Ammo Bearer. Each of them carry some of the morter rounds with them. One soldier would quicly become burdened with a morter by him/hersef.

So once again, to make this stay On Topic. they should only be used in fortified postions in Inf to make them semi accurate. INF doesnt have the team cooperation to pull of realistic mortar usage. Then it goes into the whole setup of the "morter line." Which is basically a semi-circle of mortars at about 50 meters apart. Usually 5 or 6 are in a semi-ciricle. And to get even MORE technical ;) the Second mortar is the "command" mortar. And usually fires 1st.

[C22]-Acolyte

Ai kotoba afuro to gunsou!
Jan 20, 2002
INF-land
Visit site
I would also like to see APCs, as they would make good missions like get the APC out from the enemy territory or something like that. The driver is chosen from the team at random and only that guy can drive the damn thing. Break the vehicle and that's it. Mission over. You lose. The APC would have maybe a machine gun or something of the sort but it needs a crew member to use it. The opposing team would have some sort of single shot antitank weapon and mines. These weapons would have a massive bulk and a limited number available that using them against personel would be very foolish.

The APC would also be very vulnerable and wouldn't survive without the help from the other team members (searching for mines etc.). Also to make it realistic the 1st person view from inside the APC wouldn't be all that great, but also 3rd person view should be disabled.

Be it the objective or not, it should be so that if a vehicle is destroyed it does not respawn.

[C22]-Acolyte

Jan 20, 2002
INF-land
Visit site
Nope. It should be disabled totally. If it's hard to to see from them in real life then it has to be hard in Inf too... As real as it gets. No exceptions. You can always open the drivers hatch ... If you have a death wish.

Last edited:

[C22]-Acolyte

Jan 20, 2002
INF-land
Visit site
And now imagine driving an APC (or maybe even an MBT!) that has a very tiny slit where you are supposed to see where you are driving. Doesn't sound too tempting, does it? Instant balancing!