eleven years ago today the world changed for ever

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

M.A.D.X.W

Aug 24, 2008
Weird.
I don't think remembering or mourning or even being sombre about 9/11 is nationalistic or bad. I'm not even American, and I'm not a very sympathetic person but I think 9/11 was obviously a tragedy, I mean, 2,750 people are dead and a very cool building was destroyed. Seems like something that should be remembered. Obviously the media is going to obsess over it every year, they'll give the people what they think they want. I'm not sure how that's a problem for the individual though?

It doesn't have to have anything to do with politics, it's about the people. Separate it from everything else and it's just a lot of innocent people who died, I don't see the problem paying respect to these people even if that's completely pointless and meaningless.

It seems pretty weird to me, to see a 30 or 40 year old guy make a post implying that regular American citizens deserved to be killed because of actions their government took.

Jokes about 9/11 are obviously funny, but only because it's black and transgressive or whatever, but if people actually don't give a fuck about the 2,750 people who died then that's sort of a matter of concern really.

I think there's a sort of an american-guilt these days, especially with liberals, you know, like they're afraid to seem even a little bit nationalistic in remembering this event. Obviously you don't want to look like some right wing weirdo, but it's definitely always OK to feel something for some humans who are dead.

I'm a tiny bit surprised by Beyond Unreal people's apathy about this, you don't have to care, but I don't see the point in advertising the fact that you don't care when there is people who do care. It's like a contest to see who's the most edgy or something.

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
I'm a tiny bit surprised by Beyond Unreal people's apathy about this, you don't have to care, but I don't see the point in advertising the fact that you don't care when there is people who do care. It's like a contest to see who's the most edgy or something.
what if it's honestly how we feel?
there's no contest here that I'm aware of.

it's a forum.
a public forum.
with a topic about 9/11.
and within said topic, people are allowed to post their sentiments.

trust me, I remember watching 9/11 as it unfolded live on TV and being horrified.
I was then glued to the post-coverage for days during the cleanup and rescue. there was about a week where I didn't really sleep, and when I did sleep all I saw were the images replying.

I remember feeling terrible and confused and despondent.
it's terrible and confusing and sad. ok? there I said it. it sucks that those people died and I feel for their families.

but how many times can I say it? I've certainly said it before. you can only feel that way for so long, especially when you weren't personally affected. because then I began to see what we were doing (as a country) in response to 9/11. and it became difficult to stomach.
I saw the hyper-reactionary political/military machine begin to fire up and literally go crazy.

we (as US citizens) signed away some of our most basic legal protections under the guise of increased national security. we made the experience of going to the airport and flying into a joyless clusterfuck. we turned our back on the Geneva Convention and our own Constitution. we shipped away thousands of young men to die in Iraq and Afghanistan even though those countries were not involved in the attacks.

you can only be sad and sulky for so long.
at some point you have to acknowledge the reality of where our obsession with this event has taken us, because has nothing good has come of it.

M.A.D.X.W

Aug 24, 2008
what if it's honestly how we feel?
there's no contest here that I'm aware of.

it's a forum.
a public forum.
with a topic about 9/11.
and within said topic, people are allowed to post their sentiments.

trust me, I remember watching 9/11 as it unfolded live on TV and being horrified.
I was then glued to the post-coverage for days during the cleanup and rescue. there was about a week where I didn't really sleep, and when I did sleep all I saw were the images replying.

I remember feeling terrible and confused and despondent.
it's terrible and confusing and sad. ok? there I said it. it sucks that those people died and I feel for their families.

but how many times can I say it? I've certainly said it before. you can only feel that way for so long, especially when you weren't personally affected. because then I began to see what we were doing (as a country) in response to 9/11. and it became difficult to stomach.
I saw the hyper-reactionary political/military machine begin to fire up and literally go crazy.

we (as US citizens) signed away some of our most basic legal protections under the guise of increased national security. we made the experience of going to the airport and flying into a joyless clusterfuck. we turned our back on the Geneva Convention and our own Constitution. we shipped away thousands of young men to die in Iraq and Afghanistan even though those countries were not involved in the attacks.

you can only be sad and sulky for so long.
at some point you have to acknowledge the reality of where our obsession with this event has taken us, because has nothing good has come of it.

I suppose. Like, I wasn't there to experience the political aftermath first hand. So I'm probably not as jaded with the whole thing. But I still think it will always be OK for people to mourn this, maybe more-so as an event abstracted from everything else.

Psst.. It's been 11 years. ;)

[overexplaining]Yeah but,.. the pic is of a Titanic Balloon slide" a mockery of a tragic event that happened many more years before this balloon became a thing. It was said that in another 100 years we would have these types of tasteless toys commerating 9/11 in an abstract way, so I replied that I give it another 10 years, not 100. [/overexplaining]. I did mean another 10 years, guess I should have typed that out.. sigh.

I mean, let's be logical here, we do have to wait for all the families of the deceased to at least be dead or close enough that they won't bother the people cashing in on the novelty items too much. Usually these things take about a generation say 30 years or so, but I give America about 20 this go-around.

"moral slide".. come on that shit was funny! :(

DRT-Maverick

Lover of Earwigs
Dec 4, 1999
Reno, NV
If you said something like this in front of my face I would have no problem at all killing you with my bare hands. I would take pleasure in watching your last breath escape your lips while I looked in your eyes and saw the life go out of them.

I wonder if you would say the same thing if it was your brother and close friends who died in those towers trying to save lives.

LOL this made me laugh.

Really 2800 bankers gone... :lol: See the IRONY?!

Do you remember what happened on December 26 2004? Or May 12 2008? They might not have been a terrorist attack but I bet you forgot already.