1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

elevator action

Discussion in 'Infiltration Development' started by Guest, Feb 3, 2000.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

ok guys, i'm trying to make an elevator for a map of an office building sort of deal. so...i've got an elevator mover that goes to each floor when you tell it to, works good. the elevator triggers tells the mover which keyframe? forgot the word, well anyway, the triggers tell it which to go to. it needs doors inside though, which i would think would be easiest to do by attaching them to the elevator, but in order to do that, i'd need to combine an attach mover with the elevator mover kind of deal. i asked this over at the pu forums too, but the server seems to be screwed up or something, so i haven't been able to check for a little while. any help'll be appreciated, thanks guys
    Lost

2. Billdog

Billdog New Member

You're on deep water. The Elevator stuff never worked well enough for Epic to us it in a map.
    If the mover don't call its event at each arrival, you'll need a trigger matrix.

------------------
    -> If you haven't seen this, you know nothing about Infiltration: The Roadmap!
    -> Are you having trouble with the Editor or is it the other way around? Kick this!

3. Billdog

Billdog New Member

You're on deep water. The Elevator stuff never worked well enough for Epic to us it in a map.
    If the mover don't call its event at each arrival, you'll need a trigger matrix.

------------------
    -> Are you having trouble with the Editor or is it the other way around? Kick this!

4. INF_Neo

INF_Neo Infiltration Sound Engineer

Matrix?

5. Guest

Guest Guest

what do you mean by "call it's event at each arrival"? right now the elevator itself seems to work (ie if i activate the trigger the elevator will come to me). it's really the doors that i'm having trouble with now, how do i make them go up and down with the elevator itself and then open and close relative to the elevator rather than open and close in absolute coordinates. (don't know if that makes sense, but...)
    Lost
    by the way, i love this board /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif i can get an answer in about an hour for most questions. guess that's also why i can visit it 5 times a day and it still takes forever to read everything new :)

6. MiscMan

MiscMan The Grand Elitist

You might have to script something. Like have it so that you have two movers for the doors. One makes it follow the elevator, the other opens to doors. Make the part the you see something like 1 unit thick(i'll call it A). Have that follow the elevator. The other doors wait at where the elevator will go to(B), so you would have to leave some sort of gap for it to fit into. Then using a trigger, make it(A) go to a different keyframe than any of the floors(ie. off the level), and have doors B seperate. I'm not sure how this will look visually. But i think it would work, or i dont know what i'm talking about /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

7. RegularX

RegularX Master of Dagoth Lies

Well, I haven't tried this myself, but I guess you might be able to do something like how they worked in HL.

For one set of motions, you would use three triggers and three movers. One that opens the first set of doors, one that activates the ele itself, and then another one waiting for the player when they reach the end point which opens the second level doors.

If you go to Rust's Half-life editing there is a great tutorial on this. I'm not sure how well it would translate to UT, since I have yet to try it.

8. Guest

Guest Guest

i was trying to do it like a real elevator is--two sets of doors, one pair on the inside and the other pair(s) on each level. you know, so you see inside doors rather than the elevator shaft when you're riding it and so you see doors rather than a big hole in the wall when you're waiting for it to come to you. so what is the url for this half-life site?
    Lost

9. Guest

Guest Guest

ok, so i found rust's half-life site, but i only found 2 elevator tutorials. neither one had doors, but that didn't matter much since i couldn't understand a damn thing they said (i've never done any non-unreal editing) thanks for it though
    Lost

10. Guest

Guest Guest

ok miscman, i finally understand what you mean, and it is pretty similar to what i want, except rather than the door disappearing, i want it to open up. either way, i can't think of a way to make them go to whichever vertical keyframe i want and then go to the next keyframe which would be the opening (or disappearing) of the doors. the elevator mover lets you choose which frame to go to but then i would have to make it go to that frame +1 so that it goes to the floor and then opens up. i don't know, my head hurts
    Lost

11. Billdog

Billdog New Member

I'm surprised about how many mappers think that the movers have to have space. They never do.

You'll only need a single mover brush as elevator doors when it moves, the real ones can easy be left at each floor.

Call it's event: When the mover has finished it's keyframes it calls it's event like a delay trigger. You can make a lot of stuff with that event.

I'm not sure you can toggle warp zones, but if it's possible, why not make the elevator without the elevator mover? Then you'll also have less trouble with the floor buttons inside the elevator.

I don't know how well a elevator mover handles multiplay.

12. Guest

Guest Guest

ok, yeah, i was going to use the event as a way to open the doors.

what do you mean by a single mover though? if the doors are left on each floor then you would be able to see the elevator shaft as you go up and down. actually, i might be able to texture the entire shaft to look like the doors, but anyway, how do you mean?

and with the warp zones, i'd rather not do that because i tried them in my last map, and it was the worst experience i've had with the editor. it took a few days to finally get it to work, and even they i had to use teleporters or something. i used 2 different tutorials, and neither one worked right, so now i have no desire to ever use a warp zone again /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
    Lost

13. RegularX

RegularX Master of Dagoth Lies

Sorry, bad memory clouded the post /infopop/emoticons\icon_wink.gif.

I thought one of them explained the use of using triggers invisibly to control where people land when the elevator ends. Unfortunately, you're right, similarity between the two engines is, well, pretty non-existant.

The main point though, and like I said I haven't tried it, would be to set a second trigger inside the where the elevator would land on the second floor. On your map it will be in mid-air. Same concept as controlling a door opening and closing with two triggers. I suppose one with a large collision radius would work as well.

In short (which this isn't /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif ), I would make the elevator work sans doors first. Then add the doors in to react where the player will end up.

14. Billdog

Billdog New Member

Remember the Nyleve/Dig teleporter? The doors close hermetic and in the new map they ARE the same brush. If you use a sheet textured like the closed doors and let that move with the elevators, you'll get the same effect with only one brush, since you remove it in 0 sec's the same time as the doors open. It don't have to be a sheet, but they're cheep. A good effect just to get the elevator feel could be to delay the door opening ½ a sec after the *ping*.

------------------

15. Billdog

Billdog New Member

Remember the Nyleve/Dig teleporter? The doors close hermetic and in the new map they ARE the same brush. If you use a sheet textured like the closed doors and let that move with the elevators, you'll get the same effect with only one brush, since you remove it in 0 sec's the same time as the doors open. It don't have to be a sheet, but they're cheep. A good effect just to get the elevator feel could be to delay the door opening ½ a sec after the *ping*.

------------------

16. Sylvester

Sylvester New Member

I also need an realistic elevator, but I don't need the inside doors(some evelators don' have them)
    Can someone tell me how to make an elevator that comes to the level you're on when you push a button, goes to another level when you push the button again and stays on the level it is on unless a button is pushed?

Thanx
    Sylvester out...

17. Guest

Guest Guest

ok billdog, i guess i'm just dumb, but i still don't really understand how you say to do it. so the doors close and then i pop up a sheet on the inside that looks like the closed doors? ok, then the elevator moves to the new floor and i make the sheet disappear and then the new doors open? is this what you mean? because if it is, then how do i get the sheet to follow the elevator up and down? i guess that's the only thing i don't get.
    Lost

18. Corin

Corin New Member

Ok, I got laost waaay back there, like the 2nd post or so, but check out DM-Matrix, it's elevators work fine.

19. Guest

Guest Guest

yeah, well the elevators in dm-matrixed are what i don't want. i want only one elevator that goes to each floor
    Lost

20. Guest

Guest Guest

billdog...please...dying............