Effective use of 3rd Person View

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Eric_UT2000

Jan 8, 2002
geocities.com
A cool idea would be a new MOD that makes 3rd Person but raises the camera up a bit so you can see what u are shooting and adding a crosshair that instead of being in the middle of the screen be projected on walls.

Pxtl

Lord of the Files
Jan 30, 2002
Ontario
Visit site
Howbout laser beam?

A simple point crosshairs might be insufficient - a laser beam or crosshairs at several distances might be better (a-la Starfox) - Try playing Rockets Q3 (the basis of Rockets UT) in chasecam, it does it well. Still, the lack of cast shadows is ever a problem in UT, as casting shadows of floating crosshairs on the floor, though slightly obsurd, would be a great way to make the player's aiming defined (shadows help locate floating objects in 3d space).

Fighting Fool

Oct 26, 2001
www.angelfire.com
If you want a really cool 3rd person game, here's something that's worked really well for me. Combine the Half-Pint and Laser Sight mutators.

Half-Pint:--> http://www.fileplanet.com/index.asp?section=623&page=5&file=38334&download=1

Laser Sight:--> http://planetunreal.com/modsquad/asp/breviews.asp?273

The Half-Pint mutator makes all players half their normal size and starts all players off in 3rd person perspective. The Laser Sight mutator gives you a way to aim even when veiwing from behind your character.

Why this is so bad-ass :cool:... Use these two mutators with all the really cool player models that are available for UT, like the Space Marine, JarHead, etc. Now you get to see their animations in all their glory when you taunt or die. Also, you can use the sniper rifle to snipe and actually :sniper: kill things, instead of getting close-ups of your characters butt.

On the downside, it gets hard to ID teamates from far away, since everyone is so small.:hmm:

Sleepy_the_Jackal

Jan 12, 2004
I think I know what kind of 3rd person view you guys might be looking for. If any of you have played Jedi Knight 2 for PC, it has (in my opinion) the best ever 3rd person shooting. It features a sort of view above the player, and the aiming is very smooth. I would use that for reference if I knew how to do a mod such as this. :p

Last edited:

Xzibit

Feb 1, 2000
Visit site
Jehuty said:
How come the Half Pint Umod says it requires the UT demo? I cant install it.

Ok, now a lesson on how to hack the UT's "Manifest.ini" file, so you'll be able to install it:

- Open the Manifest.ini file.
- On the "[Setup] tab", create a group called "Unreal Tournament Demo", under the last group. It should look like this:
Group=Unreal Tournament Demo
-Now, head to the end of the file, it's time to insert the "group properties". Just copy and paste it there:

[Unreal Tournament Demo]
Caption=Unreal Tournament Demo
Version=322
Requires=UnrealTournament

Now, you'll have the UT demo installed ;)

EDIT: Dammit, I just realised it's a bumped thread... I guess my "lesson" for UT won't help at all... :(

Last edited by a moderator: