1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

editor crashing - convert to brush from mesh

Discussion in 'Modeling & Skinning' started by JonnyOd, Jun 23, 2004.

1. JonnyOd

JonnyOd New Member

I'm building an environment shell in 3ds max - importing it into Unrealed as a static mesh then trying to convert this to a brush to build the bsp shell. (deleting the static mesh).

This has worked in most cases but lately I've had more and more problems - when I come to convert the static mesh to a brush the editor crashes. I've tried everything i can think of to resolve this but i can't work out why it works sometimes and not other times.

Does anyone know any way around this or could suggest anything to try? I'm not sure whether it's an unrealed problem or possibly something in the original exported mesh.

thanks

2. [SAS]Solid Snake

[SAS]Solid Snake New Member

You shouldn't even be making a BSP brush this complicated, it'll run far to slow.

3. JonnyOd

JonnyOd New Member

i have been thinking that - i've been trying to get a balance with how much of the environment should be bsp / static meshes.

4. JonnyOd

JonnyOd New Member

i've simplified the environment shell and opted to import the mesh as a brush (.ase format) but i'm getting the same crash at times when i come to subtract the bush.

the message when the editor crashes is 'Runtime error'

anyone help?

5. Fraz

Fraz New Member

You HAVE to apply materials to your mesh. If you even have one face that has the default green bubbly texture on it, then when you convert to brush then it's guranteed to crash.