UE1 - UT Editor Crashes on Start up

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Lord Damage

Jul 16, 2010
Hey guys, I've owned Unreal Tournament GOTYE for coming up to 10 years now, and I decided it'd be a nice idea to reinstall it one day and have a go at mapping once more.

However, even though the game installs and runs perfectly well on this Vista computer, the editor will not start up at all. A friend of mine has also installed it, and it appears to work fine on his (also running Vista).

I have tried it with the following version numbers: 432, 436, 451 and 451b.

As I've read around on the internet, 451 is known to break the editor and gives an error on launch. I got the exact error described by other people running this version.

However, when running any other version, this is the error I'm receiving:
ued2error.jpg

I've not seen this error before back about 8 years ago when I last used the editor.

To reiterate, I've tried this with versions 432, 436, 451 and 451b. I'm running Vista, and running as admin/compatability mode has no effect. There are no addons or mods installed, and I have already tried a complete uninstall/reinstall from disk with no effect.

Is there anyone who could tell me what is happening here?

EDIT: I've also tried the FAQ solution of deleting Editor.ini, Unrealtournament.ini and User.ini, but the problem persists.

Last edited:

Lord Damage

Jul 16, 2010
Some additional info also, the Editor.log file appears to start going crazy as soon as it gets to the Mesh Browser viewport:
Log: Startup time: 1.281632 seconds
Init: Input system initialized for U2Viewport0
Log: Opened viewport
Log: Bound to SoftDrv.dll
Init: Input system initialized for U2Viewport1
Init: Input system initialized for U2Viewport2
Init: Input system initialized for U2Viewport3
Init: Input system initialized for MeshViewer
Critical: UFireTexture::ConstantTimeTick
Critical: UTexture::Tick
Critical: (FireTexture UnrealShare.Effect18.FireEffect18)
Critical: UTexture::Update
Critical: URender::DrawLodMesh
Critical: (LodMesh UnrealShare.8Ball3rd)
Critical: DrawMesh
Critical: URender::DrawActorSprite
Critical: URender::DrawActor
Critical: REN_MeshView
Critical: UEditorEngine::Draw
Critical: (Cam=MeshViewer,Flags=8832
Critical: UWindowsViewport::Repaint
Critical: UWindowsViewport::OpenWindow
Critical: WBrowserMesh::RefreshViewport
Critical: WBrowserMesh::RefreshAll
Critical: WBrowserMesh::OnCreate
Critical: WM_CREATE
Critical: WWindow::WndProc
Critical: WWindow::StaticProc
Critical: PerformCreateWindowEx
Critical: WBrowser::OpenWindow
Critical: WBrowserMesh::OpenWindow
Critical: WEditorFrame::OnCommand
Critical: WM_HSCROLL
Critical: WWindow::WndProc
Critical: WWindow::StaticProc
Exit: Executing UObject::StaticShutdownAfterError
Exit: UGalaxyAudioSubsystem::ShutdownAfterError
Warning: glxStopOutput() failed: 6
Exit: Executing UWindowsClient::ShutdownAfterError
Log: DirectDraw End Mode
Exit: Exiting.

Does this mean there's something wrong with the mesh browser? And if so, can it be disabled or worked around?

Last edited:

Lord Damage

Jul 16, 2010
I've already tried deleting unrealed.ini, Unrealtournament.ini and User.ini. None of them have any effect, and the same error still appears and creates the exact same log.

Last edited:

Lord Damage

Jul 16, 2010
The rendering option? No, I'm using Direct3D with my Nvidia 9600 GT card.
Or do you mean something else?

Last edited:

Lord Damage

Jul 16, 2010
I haven't updated it I'd say for about 6 months or so. The graphics appear okay in game aside from a few glitches here and there such as the minigun's muzzle flare not being visible.

I've tried setting the graphics to Software mode also, but this doesn't seem to change anything.

_Lynx

Strategic Military Services
Staff member
Dec 5, 2003
Moscow, Russia
beyondunreal.com
Well, googling the "Critical: UFireTexture::ConstantTimeTick" brought up a possible solution:

The fix is simple. Right-click on My Computer, Properties, Advanced, Performance Settings, Data Execution Prevention, select "Turn on for essential Windows programs and services only". What exactly is causing this is unclear yet. Maybe because of the high amount of assembly code in fire.dll.

Also if you're using AMD multi-core CPU there's an utility from AMD that fixes timing issues on multicore CPUs: http://support.amd.com/us/Pages/dyn...cd2c08-1432-4756-aafa-4d9dc646342f&ItemID=153 (and this issue does look like cause by timing judging by "ConstantTimeTick")

Last edited:

Lord Damage

Jul 16, 2010
_Lynx, you've done it!
Not quite sure which of the two caused the fix, but after removing Data Execution Prevention and applying that AMD Processor fix, the editor is launching fine! :D

Massive appreciation to you for this, now I can go about mapping some good old '99 maps and Nostalgia myself back to 2000.

Lord Damage

Jul 16, 2010
...although after installing the patches up to and including 451b, now I can't move inside the editor... Gah, I'll need to stick with 436 it seems.

Edit: I patched it back to 436, and now I can move in the editor once more. Really, is there any benefit at all to patch 451 and 451b? Bleh, stay away from 'em.

Last edited: