1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

UE2 - UT2kX Easy weapon texture/skin tutorials.

Discussion in 'Modeling & Skinning' started by ZippyDSMlee, Aug 31, 2008.

1. ZippyDSMlee

ZippyDSMlee New Member

I want to do basic weapon skinning and texture changes correctly, I have the DDS plug ins and photo shop and even tho paint shop pro is so much easier to use I know photo shop is better.

But I know of no easy to follow tutorials.
    Halp me...or I'll be asking lots and lots of stupid questions later (other than just lots.....) :p

this is for UT3 as well, since UT3 stuff is very much like UX, any working U2X and UT3 tut should do as long as its simple for mushy brains(me) to understand...which might be imposable, thus why ask for tuts less explaining that has to be done :p.

2. ZippyDSMlee

ZippyDSMlee New Member

3. AsToRoTh

AsToRoTh New Member

As far as I know the only way to re-skin is to actually create a new weapon. If its a stock weapon you should/may still be able to get hold of the source code from UDN.. failing that you will have to use UCC or similar to extract the code for the weapon... add your textures to the "mod" folder and then recompile.

Love that flame effect tho... would look pretty sweet in game... if you are going to go to the trouble of recompiling tho you may as well alter some of the other code too such as the weapon fire effects etc just to make it a bit more unique....
    This might help http://www.angelmapper.com/gamedev/tutorials/coding1.htm

Last edited: Oct 7, 2008
  4. ZippyDSMlee

ZippyDSMlee New Member

yup yup as you can see in my pics I do have the skin installed on the weapon, however I am looking for tutorials that go over the image editing portion of skinning.

5. AsToRoTh

AsToRoTh New Member

ahhh yeah I should have guessed looking at the screenshots LoL. Cant really help with PSP... Photoshop user myself so Im not sure if the process is the same... Basically I export the skin/texture as a DDS, open it in photoshop and immediately clone/duplicate the base layer. After this I then start using the marquee tool to select areas I wish to change... that way if I screw up I can just do a select all... return to my original layer and start again with the "copy to new layer" tool.

Cant be much more help than that other than to suggest looking into tutorials on masking and layers in PSP.

6. ZippyDSMlee

ZippyDSMlee New Member

I have Photo shop as well..but it's GUI is like putting my dck through a grinder :p

Do keep going on about how to do stuff in PHS they have alot in common, ya I learned about layers and duplication the hard way working on pictures in PSP over a 3 week period and I do believe I have got the basics down, but I lack knowledge and sense and style..and I haz saggy ballz :p But I still need all the info I can get.

How dose PSH blend in ranges on a imported pic so you can apply a decal to a skin without losing the effect?

7. AsToRoTh

AsToRoTh New Member

Transparency and or blending effects are what use mostly. Little bit of transparency goes a long way to let say a metals texture show through it ;)

8. ZippyDSMlee

ZippyDSMlee New Member

Can you blend ranges in PHS? In PSP I can basically take a skin down to all its highlights and then boot them a tad then make it a top layer and it brings out the highlights alil.

I can do it for the dark as well and play up the darker features, altho I must admit its a imperfect process as it can add or subtract contract to the over all skin.

9. AsToRoTh

AsToRoTh New Member

Yeah Im pretty sure you can.. in fact Id say (with no authority) that anything you can do in PSP you can do in PS too. Off the top of my head Im not 100% sure how you would do that but yeah at a guess you could use the likes of lighten, colour burn etc in photoshops blending modes... If Im honest whenever Ive created new skins using photoshop I tended to "paint" highlights and shadows on myself rather than using the ones on the original skin but Ive left scratches on armour and stuff. eg. If I wanted to leave say some lights from an original skin I would simply "cut" that area out to a new layer and push it to the top.
    If you have any specific PS related questions Im sure myself or others on here would be happy to help... or at least point you towards a tutorial that could help.

As an example of highlights and scratches etc showing through heres some skins I made a long while back.. each skin probably took in total about an hour to make.. give or take as cropping out the various parts can get tedious LoL....

[SCREENSHOT]http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/5997/sskinpackty5.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

As you can see the colours of the skins and decals have all been changed from the originals but the highlights and shadows remain.

Edited....

I just found this Click Me its not a skinning tutorial but relates pretty well to your last question about highlights etc.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2008
  10. ZippyDSMlee

ZippyDSMlee New Member

I suck at painting I can barely section off stuff and colorize them LOL

Enhancing highlights and shadows is what I try to do now sometimes it works sometimes not so much and I have to go to the area copy/paste it and then erase around it then blend it end for whatever effect I am going for.

BTW do you know how to implement animations?*dig dig dig*
    [​IMG]

Would like to implement a simple LCD animation with soem fo the following text
    "What are doing Dave?...."
    "Why we not shoootingz things?"
    "ZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz"

I dunno it might be to much to fool with but dam it be funny :p

11. AsToRoTh

AsToRoTh New Member

hmmz... you could go the route of an animated texture but it is a long winded process depending how may frames you wanted. http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/Legacy:Animated_Texture
    Cant remember off the top of my head how you would go about getting the gun to use it tho... think it could involve editing the .u or .int file... its a long time since I did any work on 2k4.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2008
  12. ZippyDSMlee

ZippyDSMlee New Member

It will give me something to naw on.

looks like its "supposed" to to link up in the editor if you name it right and you an set some animation properties in the editor and it will "work" or so it says LOL

13. AsToRoTh

AsToRoTh New Member

Yeah it does work you just have to remember to get the naming convention right. Used it once or twice to make the odd animated texture (flashing images in maps, stuff like that).