1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Doom3

Discussion in 'Unreal 2' started by iddQd, Aug 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GotBeer?

GotBeer? The nozzle is now calibrating

Longer even than Unreal2? That game gives you time to take a pee break and make a sandwich!

2. iddQd

iddQd Yours truly

Fun thing is that I got better FPS in DOOM3 than XMP and I play D3 at 1024 Medium.

3. BaRrOw

BaRrOw DA HOOCH!!

Nothing personal, but I hate you.

4. Pro^Kp

Pro^Kp [DCSB]Callisto/Talon|Se7eN

Thats a Bit Low end inst it?

5. Apathy

Apathy The original

The load times can decrease if you extract all of the pak files but it causes trouble when trying to join a pure server.

6. Xaero

Xaero Who Dey!

for a laptop..no. ;)

7. b4nd1t

b4nd1t bulletproof

Doom III: Help, I Can't See ****!
    http://www.somethingawful.com/articles.php?a=1832

kinds of sums it up

8. FurociousFa

FurociousFa Banned

i swear you guys
    its SIMPLE

TWO REASONS WHY THEY DONT USE FLASHLIGHT+WEAPON (they have a mod for it if your that big of a *****)

1. It takes away from the atmosphere, and the helplessness of knowing you can't fight back if something jumps at you

2. Lower fps, it would take your frames down even further

kthxstfu

9. Zetto

Zetto XMP Beta Tester

meh, if u dont want to see what u shooting at, by all means, DONT use the mod :D

When I get Doom3, I am pretty sure gonna use some mods. Swapping flashlight and weapons is stupid ;)

10. Bleeder

Bleeder Co-Founder, U2XMP [Ч] Clan

Actually, yes, that is somewhat low-end if it's supposed to be a gaming laptop. They have had laptops with Mobility 9700's in them for months. Laptops with Mobility 9800's have been available from places like Dell for a few weeks now. EDIT: Those new Mobility 9800 laptops are priced outrageous :eek: EDIT2: GEEZ Ati already announced Mobility x600's too, supposedly available this month or next :cool:

Last edited: Aug 9, 2004
  11. washuu

washuu A Lazy XMP Beta Tester

Seeing your friend scared as ****... going back and forth between flashlight and gun... is worth keeping :D

12. Xaero

Xaero Who Dey!

For a laptop within my price range AND having an AMD processor... yes

:lol:

I'd love to be able to afford an Alienware laptop...

13. FurociousFa

FurociousFa Banned

bleeder -9800 pro is actually based on x800 tech, and yes dell is overpriced..go make your own laptop : )

xaero - alienware sucks.

14. damn

damn New Member

"We've mastered teleportation and spacetravel, but we'll be damned if we can put a flashlight on a gun"

15. Dragon_Myr

Dragon_Myr New Member

Dell = $500 for a 512mb DDR stick to bring a comp to 1 gb. Overpriced to where it's disgusting is what I say.

Alienwares look weird and that little glowing alien face seems to piss off prof's pretty easily. My big Sony logo doesn't, but then again this laptop is a POS anyway. I wouldn't have bought it but the deal with a register glitch was too good to pass up.

Now I'm stuck in a hard decision. Click to buy Doom 3 for $35 or close the window and not buy it. Hmmmm...

Last edited: Aug 9, 2004
  16. b4nd1t

b4nd1t bulletproof

well the flashlight is just one issue, and I do like the solution to improve fps.. "turn of the light" whitch btw would not help at all, since it is proberly rendred anyway, and theall the shadows and light effects are surely the ones that pull the most out of your fps.

about the atmosphere... it kind of stinks, cause you cant see **** anywhere. Im pretty sure you could do a nicer atmosphere with more light, cause it is not remotely nice as it is now. A game like Painkiller could do it, and it wasn't that fun either, but it was much more fun than Doom3 is (and it looked better to)

and I can't figure out why ppl get scared playing doom3 when everything is so obvious.. u take one step into a room, and the light go out for some odd reason.. a zombie spawn right behind you, appears out of nowhere and some zombies appear from the dark places of the room... kill them and the lights (or atleast some light) comes back on... collect stuff and move on to the next room.. where everything repeats itself again.

it is a piss poor game, but for some odd reason it keeps scoring 90%+ in the reviews

17. [xF]PR3D470R

[xF]PR3D470R My Vengeance Is Everlasting

Anyone with an ATi Video Card needs to read this
    Also, instead of using WinRAR to edit the file, notepad works just as well.

18. iddQd

iddQd Yours truly

Bandit. I can agree that it is sometimes obvious whats going to happen and sometimes the gameplay gets too repetetive. But hey. There was a watercube at some place of the map, having a beast within it, which looked lifeless... I had my friend sitting next too me and I said, hell yea I can bet that one's gonna move! I walked towards it and yes, it banged its head against the glass. Me and my friend got scared as hell even if we knew what was going to happen.

Point is one can really destroy the gameplay in d3 with a few things. D3 can only be experienced in the right way with: high volume, dark outside, atleast medium graphics settings and atleast marine difficult level. Without one of these four the game is pointless and you really cant blame D3 anymore for being a bad game. It's the suprises in the game that makes my adrenaline pump not the monsters that I see walking towards me (thou the bosses and those insect babies are creepy like hell), the sudden flying boddies... the vents and boxes suddenly falls upon me... the psycic effects like the mirror in teh first bathroom and so on.

Dragon myr, we're talking about 35 bucks here. If you don't lack money I say thats a great buy, just make sure you play under my four golden rules I stated above, otherwise the experience might lack and dissapointment be a fact.

19. b4nd1t

b4nd1t bulletproof

well the game lacks the "fun" aspect, trying to scare ppl all the time gets boring pretty quick, and with the constant darknes, you just know that something will happen, so it gets pointless pretty quick.

LowTax of SA has written a new article about Doom 3 and I can only agree with him
    http://www.somethingawful.com/articles.php?a=2304 :2thumb:

20. iddQd

iddQd Yours truly

I agree to some points too, still I think the good overwhights the bad in D3. Now this all was just my opinion :).

Then maybe we shouldn't make it sucha big deal... its still just a game, no revolution.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.