Doom

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
Also written with four letters.

attachment.php

Attachments

• monkey-grabs-katy-perrys-boobs.jpeg
    monkey-grabs-katy-perrys-boobs.jpeg
    68.9 KB · Views: 100

DarkED

The Great Oppression
Mar 19, 2006
Right behind you.
www.nodanites.com

Right, because someone putting a racist or inappropriate comment in their code has NEVER happened before :rolleyes:

He apologized for it in the very next post:

Ok, I have just read the stuff on the Something Awful and Badgame forums.

First of all, I want to say sorry for anyone who got offended by this joke. Unlike some people were advertising it on said forums, It was never my intention to spread white supremacy subliminal messages with it. It was just a joke, a bad joke I must admit. Worse than the Real Gore stuff. And yes, I will remove it on the upcoming version 18 that comes out next week.

... so no, this is not really a big deal.

Meh. This isn't the first time someone has whined about their first-world problems and someone else jokingly said "well, why not kill yourself?" This is the internet, people - shit like this is just going to happen. Zero fucks are given by me.

Leilei, by your logic, every Unreal map CliffyB ever worked on is bad and we should use console commands to skip them just because he's always been a cocky asshole.

Sorry, but no. Reality doesn't work that way. You can enjoy content a person has created and it doesn't mean you need to align your personal views on complex issues with theirs, or even like that person at all.

Personally, I think Sarge is pretty awesome, but whatever.

When the project itself is best known for the showcase of "GO FUCK YOURSELF" level of brutality

... Which is exactly why Brutal Doom is awesome (plus the increased spawns, enhanced weapons, iron sights, alt-fire modes, reloads, gib sprites, NC-DE HUD seen below, etc., etc.) Blowing legs off of Imps with a shotgun and then kicking them in the head while heavy metal is playing is a fantastic way to relieve stress :D

[SCREENSHOT]http://i.imgur.com/npeKZvg.png[/SCREENSHOT]

The hires packs are just a novelty.

I don't use gzdoom or any HRP. I play with zdoom and the original sprites/textures. It's better that way.

what are you talking about?

Don't worry, I don't even think leilei knows what he's talking about.

no one cares about the guys personal life.
the mod is cool.

Exactly.

Last edited:

Arcturus

Not From Bloody Starcraft
Jan 23, 2000
Totally Not Korhal IV
I'll have my Doom with only DOOM.WAD or DOOM2.WAD loaded and nothing else "featured on Kotaku" thanks. Not in any "HD version" either. Hell I can still complete the games with just using only the keyboard, so a source port doesn't matter!
Woah careful guys we clearly have a hardcore Doom super pr0 in our midst here.

Brutal Doom is great. I don't always play it, but its sometimes fun to mess around and blow off some steam with. HD packs invariably look shit, though. Personally I use GZDoom with mouselook and such, but with filtering turned off. Generally I play megawads and stuff myself. I'm currently playing Memento Mori at the moment, its ok, but kind of simplistic and ugly looking, as is the case with a lot of early WADs. Still fun, though.

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Doom is a fun game :) Still play it from time to time (well, more doom2 I guess). Last megawad I've played was Invasion2. Always enjoyed this one.

Haven't played dos doom in ages. Why bother with all those source ports lying around.
I think I switched to Zdoom back in 99, it was fun. Zdoom had f.e. jumping enabled... something I dearly missed out on in dos doom. And then there was boom, pboom, doomsday, Legacy (nice sp), Skulltag and so on...
Brutal doom can be real fun btw.

Jan 20, 2008
New Zealand
Sorry, but no. Reality doesn't work that way. You can enjoy content a person has created and it doesn't mean you need to align your personal views on complex issues with theirs, or even like that person at all.

The reality is that you can choose to filter what you take in by what you think of the person who makes it. You're rationalising the guy being a dick because you admire him, but other people don't have to make the same excuses.

Same goes for CliffyB, of course. Aren't there lots of people here who have been turned off Gears or Bulletstorm because of his console peasant attitude? It isn't black and white, but it's a factor in the balance.

DarkED

The Great Oppression
Mar 19, 2006
Right behind you.
www.nodanites.com
The reality is that you can choose to filter what you take in by what you think of the person who makes it. You're rationalising the guy being a dick because you admire him, but other people don't have to make the same excuses.

Er ... What? No, I think I was doing exactly the opposite, in fact. I don't consider the two examples leilei posted to be that big of a deal; who did it and how I feel about that person has nothing to do with it - they're just not a big deal, period.

What it boils down to is people need to stop overreacting on the internet.

Same goes for CliffyB, of course. Aren't there lots of people here who have been turned off Gears or Bulletstorm because of his console peasant attitude? It isn't black and white, but it's a factor in the balance.

No, that is an entirely different set of circumstances. Lots of people hate Gears and Bulletstorm because of their consolitis and Epic dumping on the platform that made them what they are, but that's also what the rest of the industry was doing at the time and Epic was simply following the trend. It wasn't one guy, it was the industry as a whole.

My CliffyB/Unreal example was much more relevant to the discussion.

-Jes-

Tastefully Barking
Jan 17, 2005
DM-HyperBlast
. . . Well this sure turned into a clusterfuck.

Seriously, I make two simple comments and everyone starts raging. :rolleyes:

-Jes-

Tastefully Barking
Jan 17, 2005
DM-HyperBlast
It would have ended there had leilei not come in and made this thread his personal crusade against Doom mods and modders.

Nah, just a very big grudge against Mark and his personal army at ModDB. (who regularly bash anything not BD compatible)

It's ok, most people who regular ZDoom forums do.

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
I make two simple comments and everyone starts raging. :rolleyes:
you're not at fault here Jes.
I didn't even notice your reply until after saying my piece to Leilei.

it just struck me as ridiculous that he would come in here and basically accuse anyone who ever used Brutal Doom of (somehow) supporting the (alleged) personal views of the guy who made it; as if we all stood around and watched a woman get raped or drove the getaway car after a murder. we're not complicit in hate crimes, we just downloaded a mod. a fun little mod for a silly old game. I never even heard of the guy, like I honestly pay attention to the personal lives of the people who work on mods I've downloaded.

god damn ridiculous...

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
It's still the best source port by most accounts, and is still under active development. The feature list is huge. It can even do true room over room.

If you want hardware acceleration, physicalized floors and ceilings, and other nice 3D features you can use GZDoom, which is ZDoom with a GL renderer.

Yeah Gzdoom is great. First time I saw the "room over room" feature in doom, well it was hard to believe. Incredible what they've managed changing in Doom.

For example vox vehicle pack

And this Winter fury