DOM or Something Like It...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Here's one of those topics that either dies from a tremendous lack of interest or stimulates some decent debate. I know I'm a little blind (perhaps naive ;)) but what exactly is wrong with the DOM 2.0 game type (UT2003)? I'm guessing a lot of people think there's something wrong because it is the lowest supported game type in the community. I have my own theories, but I'd like to hear everyone else's thoughts and opinions before I wade in! :D

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
I think two of the major gripes are that there are only two control points and that you have to hold them both are the same time. I'm sure a lot of the hardcore UT DOM players were disappointed with it because of these two changes, but it would be very difficult to create the timing thing with anymore than two CPs. If one or even two more CPs were added, it would have to revert back to UT rules. Personally, I don't mind it at all and if I want UT DOM then I'll play UT. It's nice to have a new gametype for UT-type games. Which reminds me, I need to try Invasion and Mutant whatever for UT2003 sometime soon, hehe. And try some more mutators, change my bots and........

Gui

AD Cop
Feb 7, 2002
Mega-Tokyo
www.ozone4.com
:lol: @ at the last sentence of Skaarj's post

Dunno why this gametype doesn't interest players as much as DM or CTF: I personnally never really liked it in UT1 anyway... Problem is the rule change: though I think DDOM plays better than classic DOM (remember, I'm not expert of this gametype :D ), the hardcore DOM players didn't obligatory follow the move, hence the apparent lack of interest... Maybe players simply disliked the changes in gameplay :)

[OMEGA]_UK

blargewoodenbadger=true
Aug 2, 2003
I personally think UT2 DOM is better. The UT DOM was/is great, but for me I always come back for more in the UT2 version. I think it makes the game more exciting and challenging, and those "last second saves" I get are a buzz (sad I know). But yeah as Skaarj said any more than two CP's would be a bee-atch to time. Maybe I prefer it because its similar to playing CTF; certainly feels like it, cept you aint running off with a fecking flag to score, you have to use good old defense tactics and fight like a bugger to hold the CP's in those fast DOM maps and run like hell (metaphorically of course ;)) on those big maps (Suntemple) when the opposing team holds them.
I reckon that Epic could have used a gamestyle similar to BR, where once a team scores they spawn in seperate areas, equal distances from the CP's. Just a thought...

barballs

Packed with Unreal goodness
May 3, 2003
Arizona
www.redbrick.dcu.ie
it wouldn't be all that hard to make a mod for that. The groundwork is already there! Toughest thing would be creating a C and possibly D meshes like the originals :)

I belive that there is a distinct possibility that even if the "old-skool" version was brought into Ut2003/4 It might not take there either.

Another issue is the HUGE lack of maps. Its sad, because I really do like the gametype. Think I'll do a DOM map as my next map! :D