1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Does j00 play InstaGib?

Discussion in 'Original Unreal Tournament' started by Witty, Feb 22, 2002.

?

do you?

1. Yes of course

21 vote(s)
    43.8%
  2. No, it sux

11 vote(s)
    22.9%
  3. I am gay

2 vote(s)
    4.2%
  4. I 0wnz j00 in InstaGib (Witty gotta play u...)

14 vote(s)
    29.2%
  1. Clayeth

Clayeth Classic

It's ok, but now it's getting to the point that it's just about impossible to find a server that isn't low-grav, instagib or face-only.

2. -AEnubis-

-AEnubis- fps greater than star

Actually...

It is... considering I do all that same stuff in reg UT. I'd need a witness, or a demo to truly convey what I'm talkin' 'bout. I pop combos in the same ways, during dodges, jumps, etc. I also was the first one in my group that devised standing perfectly still as an efficient method of dodging. It's all about adaptation.

The only point I'd really want to convey in this matter, and I pretty well already did, is that you can't re-act to instantaneous. So there's more luck involved in dodging that, then a rocket you can see coming, hence, hitting somone with a rocket, in my opinion, takes more skills then IG.

You would never believe how easily I do this (on lan granted).

Actually, not entirely true, 'cause you have more air control when jumping. You really can't change the land spot of a dodge more then a persons width, which can be easily accounted for. I say easily, 'cause when you deal in a fireing transaction that happens that fast, it then becomes reflex, or instinct, I'm not thinkin' about it, I'm just doing it.

That's assuming I'm only thinkin' offense, which is never true.

Of course, that goes back to adaptation. But not dodging can get you fragged just as quick, so either way...

Point and fact, you can't react to something that happens instantaneously. It becomes a statistics game, yea you can do what you can to push the numbers in your direction, and skill can influence your preformance greatly, but there is more luck in volved their then in regs UT.

3. Lily

Lily Biatch

Re: Now I know why I hate IG...

A 3rd dimension to the game is fine, but I hate the way it was done with the x/loc. Amongst other things :
    - The warping around : makes me feel like I'm playing with a ping of 400. Anything more visual would have been better. That alone really gets on my nerves.
    - It can be used as an instant kill weapon. Stupid enough as it is, that makes people think it's ok to spend whole games trying to telefrag anything in sight. And I really don't want to play with monkeys trying to telefrag my ass for half an hour until they succeed. Just like with the impact hammer, it's funny once in a while, but gets old fast. Problem is, many many people do that with the x/loc. *yawn*.
    - It's unbalanced. The x/loc is more than just yet another option. You can almost walk in the air using it, kill opponents instantly, it can be used without limit of time or number of use, and at a very fast rate. Ok, it's not so easy to handle and everyone has it, but that's a bit overkill compared to everything else. The only thing that saves the x/loc from being completely brain damaged is the shock rifle because it works relatively well as a counter measure.

I'm sure I would enjoy regular CTF if it was not a x/loc contest most of the time (and if it wasn't the item used 80% of a whole match).

Lily

4. Lily

Lily Biatch

Re: Actually...

Point taken, and yes, I do agree, it becomes a statistical mind game once you remove ping, skills and immediate prediction off the picture. Still, I fail to see in which way this is any different with regular UT (about luck).

Btw, I like your "standing perfectly still as an efficient method of dodging". That's annoying as hell :)

Lily

5. -AEnubis-

Agreed.

I'm not saying that doesn't affect Reg UT at all. I'm just saying less, since there is non-intant projectiles in it. I think on lan, it's more impressive when somone juggles somone with repeated shock alt's, or doesn't let you touch the ground with single rockets, then it is to pop somone with repeated sniper rifle shots... that's all I'm really saying, and I prefer less luck then not.

And yea, I pissed some people off with that one, at first, they thought it was lag... lol...

I agree, that's why I said...

You seem to be one of the latter of the people mentioned in that quote. Sounds like I hit the nail on the head.

Another advantage to my lan gaming, is I play with people that are on my level, and don't spam gayness like that. When I played w/ stats online, the Tellefrag was my 3rd most fragged with weapon.

-13102-
    Shock
    Flack
    Tellefrag
    ImpactHammer

I never spam it though. My tellefrags are usually to the blind, because it's garunteed, and I never know how much life one has, and or that one attempt before I get into a fire fight, and grab a gun, because I got caught with it in hand.

Flying with it usually get's you excess fall damage, then forces you to whore ups. We don't play with ups, that eliminates that problem.

In pubs I can kinda excuse it not being aloud, but again, my opinion, I don't like playing without it. As well, I've played enough, I have a key to pull goo. Ever try to tellefrag somone that tossin' goo? Good luck. Prime Flak works as really good defense too. Shock ain't bad, but most people don't like it, 'cause they primarily use rockets, and that ain't no good, unless you gotta good connection and can follow the disc, dodge, then shoot it. Again, on lan, that ain't a prob.

Different rules for different situations. I'm spoiled, damn...

6. LordKhaine

LordKhaine I sing the body electric...

/me leaps into the $MP$-AEnubis/Lily thing

Both have good points, but I'd say I firmly prefer Normal weapons. People say IG is good to learn how to move, which is totally wrong imho. You must move totally differently in both games, in IG its all moving to avoid people getting a good shot in, while with normal weapons you must be careful not to leave yourself open to a combo or ambush. Theres more to movement in normal weapons than in IG. People often dont realise how much movement is shaped by the different weapons. If your foe has a shock rifle, you'll move far differently than if they had a sniper rifle. And to add more depth you must first work out what your foe is using.

The one point I agree very strongly with Lily on, is the xloc. I dont have a problem with it when people use it to move up ledges and around things, but when people spam it to death even in the open.... *shudder* Personally I'd be interested to see how well Ut plays without the xloc, I'd imagine it would be far more fun, esp on a lot of maps. Now if only the xloc had a charge time on it..... :hmm:

7. lophead

lophead 10100111001

I reckon instagib improves aim and accuracy dramatically. But I only play it offline with bots as target practice, because it is very ping dominated.

8. -AEnubis-

Don't have a huge prob with spam.

I hate loc spam too, dont' get me wrong. Even when trying to cover ground faster then walking, I don't telleport once ever second or less, nor do I throw rapid telleports playing the numbers game until I hit somone to frag. I throw long lobs, and meet people or places with it.

The only time I see major spam happen with it, and I don't play this much because of it, is in CTF. People know it's there, and hence spam and whore it all the time. The cool thing about DM, is half the time, on the rare occasion it is enabled, no one knows it really, and no one touches it. I love those games. But primarily, I play LAN, w/ friends that agree with my opinions, and hence no probs with it.

But, again I do agree with both of you, spamming anything sux.

9. 2COOL4-U

2COOL4-U New Member

InstaGib is da coolest!

10. Zubus

Zubus Guest

I love instagib!!!!!!
    :instagib:

11. Clayeth

Clayeth Classic

I love it when people try to telefrag me. When they start to get near me I begin loading up rockets then dodge forward, slightly to one side of them, do a 180, and fire at the disc. I either destroy the disk and they die, or it hits them with 4-5 rockets and they're dead.

12. Blorgg

Blorgg Active Member

When I see someone translocating my way I just ZzZAAAP 'em

oh wait...
    there's no tl with instagib :/

or is there?

13. Witty

Witty I hear only yes.

I don't think so. I've never seen one. :)
    But there may be a mutator.

14. Evc

Evc Represent

I used to hate it bigtime.

Its made my aim better and Im killin a lot more now :D

15. Witty

Witty I hear only yes.

yeah.... I tend to play a certain speed for a couple of days, then up it 5%, then play till I'm dominating again, then up it 5%, and so on. I can now play somewhat effectively at 185% speed, tho it's hard to have 70% of the team's kills on Godlike at that speed :D

16. Phydeaux{RoA}

Phydeaux{RoA} Phydolike

There's a good reason for that...

LGI is *fun*... You don't spend the majority of your time getting around, you spend the majority of your time killing, being killed. In our arena, CTF LGI 135/35, you do it all at speed with the agility of an acrobat and the lethality of an assassin. But team-based matches between seasoned CTF LGI vets is the ultimate - two experienced teams using every trick in the book and always working on new angles. You get used to new things - map awareness, flag coverage, bob and weave, subtle misdirection and brazen daring. It's the fastest game around and is fueled by equal parts adrenalin and dry ice.

The thing is that anybody can get into this game, and that's why I think there has been such an explosion of CTF LGI servers.

17. Witty

Witty I hear only yes.

LGI ownz... especially at 150% speed :D

18. Evc

Evc Represent

The faster the gamespeed, the better for me :D

19. NeoNite

NeoNite Worst hack fraud ever

eh not anymore... ig has become repetitive and boring :)
    yah well ok it's fun... and all that.. but that's it...
    nothing special.
    Colorinstagib is a nice mutator...
    or the railgun mutator...
    or combine shock arena with "oneshotkills".. for example.

Or the minigun mutator from excessive. THis one is a real killer :)
    Much more fun than instagib. Godlike bots will simply own you.
    Oh yeah I always play ut at a gamespeed of 125% and 65% aircontrol :)
    Used to play at 150%.. too fast I guess.. if you don't combine it with low gravity?

20. Sekhmet

Sekhmet the Destroyer

Godlike bots with miniguns..*shivers* They would own me, im sure.