Does anyone here use an X360 with Media Center?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

DarkED

The Great Oppression
Mar 19, 2006
Right behind you.
www.nodanites.com
I've been considering installing Media Center on my desktop and I was wondering what the real benefits are (besides streaming music over network) to doing this and connecting my 360 to it?

Something I'd probably be interested in doing would be watching Divx videos over the network. Can the 360 do this?

NRG

Master Console Hater
Dec 31, 2005
I use Windows Media Connect 2 to share folders with the 360. Streams music while playing games flawlessly and watching movies on it generally works pretty well too. Never tried Media Center... probably never will since my 360 is just collecting dust now.

NRG

Master Console Hater
Dec 31, 2005
Yep. I don't think file type support is too broad however. I never tried anything besides MP3 when it came to audio, but I haven't had much luck with anything but AVI or WMV in terms of video. That was a while ago though.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
I never managed to get it working (it just connects/disconnects for an eternity).
As a result I've used TVersity instead, which IMHO is superior as you can stream anything from your pc. Latest version also does YouTube-videos in addition to podcasts and RSS-feeds ...

http://tversity.com/publishers/

JaFO

Nov 5, 2000
'cause we is pc-geeks, so the default options never are good enough ... especially if MS made them ;)

Besides ... with WMP you're forced to use MS-only formats, whereas the likes of TVersity can make anything play on the console of your choice (provided your media-server is powerful enough).

JaFO

Nov 5, 2000
don't count on it.
I've seen new PS3-packages (one with a 160 Gb harddisk for 450 Euro), but they're still hideously expensive when compared to the rest of the consoles.

edhe

..dadhe..
Jun 12, 2000
Scotland
www.clanci.net
I just use the WMP11 connection, which i find much faster to use than media centre which just does me head in.

however i've also hooked my pc up to the 42" with hdmi, which means watching .mkvs is easier - since no conversion's required.

You can play divx as long as it's streamed.

TVersity? avoid imo. Overcomplicated piece of trash that prefers to break over anything else.

ZenPirate

Living Legend (and moderator)
Nov 21, 2000
New York
don't count on it.
I've seen new PS3-packages (one with a 160 Gb harddisk for 450 Euro), but they're still hideously expensive when compared to the rest of the consoles.

meh. buy the cheapest ps3 you can find, and put in your own hard drive. mmm 500gb goodness

JaFO

Nov 5, 2000
Overcomplicated piece of trash that prefers to break over anything else.
At least it works ... Mediacenter simply refuses to work and (as usual with anything made by MS) there's no solution because there's no way to fix anything on either end.

Tversity's been fine for me as it at least does its job and whenever it didn't it was relatively easy to fix.

// buy the cheapest ps3 you can find
the "cheapest" still is 390 Euro ... and that's not exactly the kind of money I intend to spend on a console with just one potentially fun game (little big planet) and no redeeming features (not a fan of blu-ray DRM).

Last edited:

BillyBadAss

Strong Cock of The North
May 25, 1999
Tokyo, JP
flickr.com
Tversity is still where it's at for me. I am a bit upset to find out it won't stream to the iphone anymore with the free version. Having long poop sessions and watching funny shows was heaven.