Do you like the new-look BU?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

What do you think of the new BU design?

• Awful!

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • Bad

Votes: 36 20.5%
  • OK

Votes: 38 21.6%
  • Good

Votes: 38 21.6%
  • Great!

Votes: 40 22.7%

• Total voters

G-Lite

ftw
Jul 25, 2000
g-lite.kochen.nl
Problem with el_muerte/brizz/pjmodos' version is that the backgrounds don't line up, because the containers are bigger than expected on my PC.

There's simply no easy solution for a translucent background. You can still adjust it to use the old background hack, which would probably save you some bandwidth for transferring just one image instead of two. But it'll never be perfect or horribly slow.

I was going to suggest a full width version, but then I discovered the liquid set of stylesheets. Nice. :)
I think I'll go with plain. ;)

Btw, to keep the folks happy, maybe you can use some php on the classic stylesheets to rotate the banner image like it used to. Shouldn't be hard I think. :)

edhe

..dadhe..
Jun 12, 2000
Scotland
www.clanci.net
\o/ rotation.

p.s. Is it just me or shouldn't the top cell be the most latest news, so you actually take notice and read down. Instead of ignore the non-change?

pps shouldn't the top bar scroll down with the page? It'd make it much better :) (tomshardware.com uses that).

G-Lite

ftw
Jul 25, 2000
g-lite.kochen.nl
edhe said:
pps shouldn't the top bar scroll down with the page? It'd make it much better :) (tomshardware.com uses that).

Don't you dare waste my screen estate!
What use would that be anyways?
I don't think you can do it in IE without it slowly jittering along; IE doesn't support position: fixed. It'd have to be some lame javascript.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
edhe said:
Except that the only method of doing that and getting it to work in IE is the messiest flippin hack in the world, since IE doesn't support position:fixed; at all.

When I said we weren't using tables, I didn't mean at all. I meant that the site wasn't designed around the use of tables anymore.

And hal knew what I meant about "next redesign". Sorry for the confusion, I was half asleep when I posted.

edhe

..dadhe..
Jun 12, 2000
Scotland
www.clanci.net
Still, in a window, when i browse (OMFG I USE DINWOS LIKE THEY'RE MEANT TO BE) all i see every day is the same damn thing :B

Before scrolling down. Then i scroll back up to get to the forums. ... Bit pointless really

/nark.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
well it's not really that big, it wouldn't be that encroaching. All I'm saying is that there is no really good cross-platform solution to doing that that isn't really messy so far.

pine

Official Photography Thread Appreciator
Apr 29, 2001
IRL
Visit site
The old look was just awesome and the new design definitely isn´t an improvement. That being said, it´s still quite good and seems to load faster now.

Syri

Who are you calling short?
Aug 18, 2000
Nottingham, England
hal said:
For anyone who missed it from page 2:

We're not going to do all of those skins, but that's the code I believe we are going with, and the Classic skin should be of interest.
the liquid classic skin on there is nice, has the best looks from the old design, mixed with the nice layout of the new. I'd go with that one as my personal choice

Nemephosis

Earning my Infrequent Flier miles
Aug 10, 2000
It's not even the new layout I mind so much as the fact that it doesn't even support 800x600. People do still use it and likely always will.

If you say you are looking into fixing it, then I believe you and will wait (im)patiently. But to be honest, I don't notice any difference between BU and the mitrrored "improved code" site hosted there.

Manticore

Official BUF Angel of Death (also Birthdays)
Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Optimum Trajectory-Circus of Values
Possible Firefox bug?

Although the homepage looks fine in FF it doesn't appear to want to load with the reader poll Gametype! graphics/bars so I get the numbers only. If I load the page up in IE that doesn't happen and I get the bars as well.:eek:

Wowbagger

Curing the infection...
May 20, 2000
Sweden
Visit site
I hate to complain about a site that looks very proffessional and has had alot of work put into it but still i have to agree with the majority.

It looks like any other gamesite and not Unreal at all.
The news arent as easy to spot at first look as the old one (hard to explain)

In the link you provided Hal all of the skins had a more toned down left menu color, much better. (the left hand blue color is way too much on the eyes)

8-4-7-2

Mar 6, 2000
Germany
That classic skin looks good. Mixes the new design elements with the superior old look
Much easier on the eyes too :tup: