1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Do you like the new-look BU?

Discussion in 'Site Discussion / Suggestions' started by Selerox, Aug 10, 2005.

?

What do you think of the new BU design?

1. Awful!

24 vote(s)
    13.6%
  2. Bad

36 vote(s)
    20.5%
  3. OK

38 vote(s)
    21.6%
  4. Good

38 vote(s)
    21.6%
  5. Great!

40 vote(s)
    22.7%
  1. PsychoMoggieBagpuss

PsychoMoggieBagpuss Gone.

Typical. Selerox. Response. ;)

2. daloonie

daloonie sex boobs nude

Quoted for plain TRUTH!

3. Burning Fish

Burning Fish My brain hurts!

The way Selerox says it is a bit harsh, but it's the truth. I also made a face of disgust when I saw BU popping up with this layout.

4. Selerox

Selerox COR AD COR LOQVITVR

But. It's. True.

I prefer to think of myself as consistant :D

5. UnrealGrrl

UnrealGrrl Enemy flag carrier is Her!

im not being nostalgic, im being honest...

the old design said "BEYONDUNREAL"

the new design says "GAMING WEBSITE"

also if you go to FileWorks or Modworks and compare, for those complaining about readability, the old design seems much easier on the eyes and easier to read.

and why anyone cares how technically compliant the website is vs. how it Looks, Reads and Feels seems ridiculous. almost any webpage can be made compliant if desired. but the end result, what the user sees is what matters.

fact is the old website never looked "broken" in firefox or IE to me. now it appears broken with text spilling out over the menu box interface in both browsers. hope that can be fixed.

also ive been lookig at a bunch of portals and cms to use on my new website and this looks like similar to alot of the cookie cutter designs i've seen...

im sure management has its reasons, but one of my fave things about BU is its uniqueness and its lost some of that in the look-n-feel dept. with this design.

theres nothing "wrong" with the new look, its just lost some of that special something... will wait and see how the tweaking and updates develop ;)

ps. hey if youre not using the old design anymore can i have it? ill make it blue not grey :) ;) :)

6. hal

hal Dictator Staff Member

I think it's already being used. ;) http://www.planetunreal.com/

7. Sir_Brizz

Sir_Brizz Administrator Staff Member

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned that the old design was simply a "grey" hack of the old GSI sites.

8. hal

Well, I don't know that I'd call it a hack as much as I'd call it a similar concept. Not surprising given Matt's previous work for Gamespy.

Matt's a pro, and the old design was very cool, but like he said, things shouldn't necessarily stay the same.

I have a good feeling that we can roll out some things that fans of the old style will appreciate. :)

9. Mix

Mix So Fresh and So Clean

Damn rip off artists!
    ;)

Last edited: Aug 12, 2005
  10. Sir_Brizz

Sir_Brizz Administrator Staff Member

I would be less remiss to say that GSI stole the idea from what PU was already doing :) Every GSI site looks exactly the same now, which wasn't the case back in the old days.

Mix did an awesome job on the design, I'm not trying to discredit him. All I'm saying is that alot of the people complaining are saying that it now looks like every other gaming site out there. Well, before it resembled all of GSI's sites. You can't get away from a design that looks like another design. There is simply too much on the Intarwebs for that.

11. Starry Might

Starry Might bFemale=True

Something I forgot to mention yesterday: Another thing I don't like is that Malcolm and Selket's faces on the "UT 2007" and "UC2" skins (respectively) are obscured by the picture at the top middle of the page. :eek:

12. Birelli

Birelli meh...

The layout might have resembled GSI sites, but IMO the design or maybe more clearly the graphics didn't. What I miss the most in this new design are those nifty graphics for the menu and news seperators and the background image behind the dates and things like that. Those little touches were what made the old design really stand out. I mean the current design really does look a lot like PU now - that is to say it's just a bunch of different colored boxes in the background with one pixel borders around them. It's just blah. Bringing back some of those old little graphical touches (maybe new ones but similar concepts) would go a long way towards getting a new design while keeping the look of the page unique and stylish.

13. EXE-973

EXE-973 New Member

BINGO... It looks like Jolt and gamespy and all the other generic looking sites. Before it just had all those special touches. Sure it looked simular to other sites, but all the special love and care made it stand out. The site has personality. The new look is missing that personality.

14. Maktaka

Maktaka New Member

Much more professional looking design. I just wish there was some more color. Although the old design was cluttered, this design is rather bland. I was hoping that one of the skins would change more than just the background, but to no avail. Life is about more than shades of grey and silver!

15. TossMonkey

TossMonkey brown bread?

It runs faster and is better technically but I prefered the old colour scheme with the random backgrounds behind the logo. I tried to change the skins but thought it wasn't working until I noticed the subtle background image. I also did the face of disgust when I loaded the page up, more disgusted at the fact that I thought I clicked the wrong link but then realised it was Bu and got disgusted some more.

You've taken away sparkys world/breakfast, now you take away the nice front page and personality of the site, what's next? avatars? POTD? news posts?

Bad BU! BAD! :tdown:

16. hal

Yes.

17. utw-Mephisto

utw-Mephisto Guilty

I really like it. I can understand that people might not like it, thanks god we all have different opinions and a different taste etc. But to say it is disgusting is a bit exaggerated don't you think ?

18. Zur

Zur surrealistic mad cow

19. cocito

cocito over cometed to a GAME

its ok
    i dont like how the text over runs the borders look all messy

20. FieldMedic

FieldMedic Less good UT Player ever

when reading the articles in the new website main page, the color used (for every skin, that 's the same problem) is not a very good choice in my opinion because the news/articles background should not be of the same color as the menus on the left and on the right.

The result of that lack of difference in colors is making the whole website as a real mess for the eyes.

But the overall build is interesting with those background artworks available with the different skins.

Only this color similarity is visually not appealing and should be changed, even if it is just a bit.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2005