Do umods work for you?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Al[Demiurge]

Oct 23, 2003
www.demiurgestudios.com
We're putting together a real installer for the mod and are debating if we should go with the so-called "umod" style distribution. I thought I'd conduct a quick, informal poll here. Do people like downloading mods using the "umod" system, do they work for you? Which if these do you like best:

1. UMods (.ut4mod files)
2. Zip-files
3. Traditional installer (installshield or whatever)

Thanks for your feedback!
Al

tgranholm

May 20, 2004
Finland
I like Zip-files. I extract them to my "UT2004Mods&Mutators\mod/mut name" folder and copy-paste files from there to the directories they go manually to make sure nothing is overwritten.

If I ever want to uninstall a mod/mut I can easily check the "UT2004Mods&Mutators" folder to see which files belonged to the mod/mut so I don't destroy any wrong files.

I know it may not be the best way to do it and not many mods overwrite files, but I like to play it safe.

I don't mean I wouldn't use a Umod installer if you made one, but I would prefer an alternative Zip-file, if possible.

But, if most want Umods then I'll use them, no problem.

Last edited:

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
.ut4mods work ... they just need to be tested properly on a 'clean machine' (= a pc with just UT2k4 and no mods) before release (*).

However considering the new directory-structure for total-conversions in UT2k4 a .zip-file would be acceptable as well.

A real 'windows-only' installer should be avoided at any cost, simply because it stops the Mac- & Linux-users from being able to download & play your mod.

http://wiki.beyondunreal.com has enough info for people to solve any problems with the .umod-system should they appear.

(*) in an ideal situation you'd have to test each install-package on multiple platforms as well a patched & unpatched UT2k4 ...

Seymour Gibbs

May 30, 2001
UK
I like umods best - they're fast and allow you to easily uninstall components if you need to upgrade or reinstall.

But don't forget, only a .zip version will make server admins happy because of the bare-bones nature of the dedicated server install.