1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

DNF @ E3, Satan Buys Mittens

Discussion in 'News & Articles' started by RaptoR, Jan 26, 2005.

1. Mix

Mix So Fresh and So Clean

For some reason I'm thinking that last I heard they had basically gone completely custom as far as engine. Of course I could be suckin' on the phat pipe again...

2. bid

bid New Member

'Pulled an Ion Storm' and 'Sucks like Daikatana' has become a part of every PC Gamer's vernacular.

BTW adding new code to UT, which is 6+ year old technology, is like my grandma getting breast implants.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2005
  3. elmuerte

elmuerte Master of Science

DNF is using UnrealEngine2 with a rewritten render path afaik, and maybe some other things.

What a bull****, Daikatana wasn't a terrible game. It wasn't very good either, the press pretty much killed it because they where expecting "the best game ever". (because that was the idea some of Ion Storm where giving out). Kinda like what happened with Fable, except they put out a warning/correction that Fable didn't contain everything they promised.

Ion Storm's second game "Anachronox" however is a great game, it's even one of my favorite games of all time.

4. JaFO

JaFO bugs are features too ...

but wasn't that Daik#tana's mistake ?
    It wasn't bad, but it wasn't quite good either as it was using just terribly outdated technology & gameplay at release, which turned it from what could have been acceptable to something that just wouldn't do anymore.

5. Deep Qantas

Deep Qantas New Member

I believe he was referring to the other Ion Storm. So that would be 'Pulled an Ion Storm' and 'Sucks like Deus Ex: Invisible War'.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2005
  6. RegularX

RegularX Master of Dagoth Lies

That might be what bid was referring to ... I personally was referring to "license an engine, but then rewrite the renderer and lighting" :)

7. RegularX

RegularX Master of Dagoth Lies

Same here. Wish they'd write a sequel.

8. ^DaRk^AgentOrange|PuF

^DaRk^AgentOrange|PuF Banned

haha i see what you did there you turned Duke into Puke because you don't like it lol funny guy :)

9. bid

bid New Member

Sorry!

I'm sorry, but I only said 'Sucks like Daikatana' cuz 'John Romero's Heartbreaking Squandering of the Good Will of Gamers and Five Years of
    His Life' doesn't exactly roll of the tongue.

10. W0RF

W0RF BuF Greeter, News Bagger

... so... has anyone here been made anyone's bitch lately?

... er, I mean, DESIGN IS LAW!

DNF OMFLOLBBQ :rolleyes:

11. Caravaggio

Caravaggio Custom User Text goes here.

Suck it down!

Er....

12. SynthDude2001

SynthDude2001 New Member

I'm still hopeful about DNF....and as has been previously mentioned, 3DR had said that they were not planning to show off any screenshots or the like until they were ~6 months from release. They'd also mentioned before that they don't particularly like E3, so who knows, this could finally be it (unless this source is wrong about DNF actually being shown at E3, but I guess we'll see)? I've always thought (in recent years) that they'd shoot for a January 2006 release to coincide with the 10th anniversary of Duke3D...

I'll probably buy it in any case.

13. Sarevok

Sarevok ...

good one 3d Realms, I almost fell for it

14. W0RF

W0RF BuF Greeter, News Bagger

sweet, Darth Malak...

15. Sir_Brizz

Sir_Brizz Administrator Staff Member

Ever read WHY they don't particularly like E3?

As I recall they brought a very unpolished version of one of their games to the expo, and got terrible reviews of it from around the press. I guess they didn't like that very much, and we haven't really seen much of DNF since 2001...so what can you expect.

16. SynthDude2001

SynthDude2001 New Member

You're probably right. I guess we'll see anyways. It's not like we're hurting for games to play right now. :)

If it ever comes out and is good, I'll buy it. Otherwise...oh well.

17. Caravaggio

Caravaggio Custom User Text goes here.

Now that I think about it, if I were them, I'd never release it. Seriously, this is a sure ticket to brand recognition. If they want people to know the name of 3d realms for the next 100 years, all they have to do is never release this game. Go make something else, this is just advertising.