UT3 DM-SiegeReactor-beta5 [Pics, PC&PS3 link] please comment and rate

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

SolStryke

Jan 21, 2008
DM-SiegeReactor-beta6 [Jan 30 Update] [Pics, PC&PS3 link] please comment and rate

Name: DM-SiegeReactor-Beta7

Version: Beta 7
(Updated with this version)
New Route to the Shock Rifle room
Adjusted stairs to Flak Cannon
Added sounds for lifts
Added more detail meshes
Adjusted lighting

(PS3 specific)
reduced some pipe meshes and a couple effects in the reactor chamber to improve frame rate

Gametype: DM

Recomended number of players: 5-10

Compatibility: 1.1 patch

Description: Takes place within the confines of a reactor facility that was used to power a long forgotten Liandri war machine. Recently this abandon reactor facility was rediscovered and reactivated for some unkown purpose. Are the Liandri begining to add to their army, and what kind of war machine would require that amount of power?

Comments:
I think I have taken care of pretty much everything that was suggested. As always tell me how it is. PS3 players I need to know if the reduced meshes and effects in the reactor chamber have helped reduced the frame issues. If all goes well the next release is final :D

Screenshots:

Here are the new batch of screenshots showing some of the new weapon placements.

[SCREENSHOT]http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg187/SolStryke/ScreenShot00012.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

[SCREENSHOT]http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg187/SolStryke/ScreenShot00002.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

[SCREENSHOT]http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg187/SolStryke/ScreenShot00009.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

[SCREENSHOT]http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg187/SolStryke/ScreenShot00014.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

To play this on the PC put the DM-SiegeReactor-beta7 files into the following directory:

My Documents\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\Published\CookedPC\CustomMaps

Credits: Me, Myself, and I.....ohh yeah and some company called Epic :D

And last but not least the Download link (PS3 ver is there as well, just DL the appropriate version for you):

http://hosted.filefront.com/SolStryke/

Last edited:

EisWiesel

... !!!
Jan 19, 2008
www.ut436.de
really great map, reminds me of some singleplayers from half-life/doom etc :D

could you add some of these computer-terminals from the package LT_Deco? they would fit really good in that map... there should be also more weapons and pickups

[VaLkyR]Assassin

Kidneythieves and Poets of The Fall Fan
Jan 20, 2008
Blackpool, England, UK
valkyrgaming.com
Tried it, it looks really nice, and plays generally well, but it feels like I have to spend too much time finding a decent weapon when starting from some spawn points, and I get caught out just using enforcers against a much more powerful weapon. Part of that is me of course :p Overall it's very cool though! :D

Grogan

In my opinion, the weapon situation in that map got worse since beta 3. Fewer and harder to come across it seems. Oh well, I mostly play it instagib anyways so I don't really care about that so much. I love the map itself.

Trynant

Manic Brawler
Jan 31, 2002
Quiet Island
trynant.wordpress.com
Looks great but the play could be better.

I still think the item layout could still use some work, along with some modifications to the level-layout as well.

IMO the stinger jump-pads are too "hidden." It took me a long time to see the corner in which they were hiding in. I'd suggest adding extra lighting or movement (I mean movement in the artistic sense) around the jump pad platforms near the base of the room.

For that matter, it seems that a hard-to-reach destination like where the stinger currently is should harbor a power-up rather than a weapon. I'd swap the Invisibility and the Stinger.

There's still rocket ammo in the map but no rocket launcher. Honestly this map could use more weapons (no flak cannon or rocket). The lower level of the siege-reactor is extremely barren, an addition of a weapon there would be good.

Last thing, the flow of the map is rather jolted. The upper level circles into itself while the lower level and the siege reactor bounces the player (considering the jump pads, literally bounces) back to the upper level. An additional route from the upper level to the lower level would really help the map's flow IMHO. Perhaps simply adding a large hole into the floor of the bio-rifle room leading to the sniper-rifle room would work.

So those are my thoughts, I hope they help.

SolStryke

Jan 21, 2008
thanks for the inputs. I actually thought i had gotten the weapon layout better. For adding more weapons, the only weapons not in the level are the flak cannon, avril, and redeemer, everything else is in there.

The jump pads to the stinger are a little harder to see but the stinger is a stronger weapon I think. I do see what you mean and maybe the invis/stinger swap would be a better deal. There is a rocket launcher in there as well. Its on the back side of the reactor. You have to walk past the armor vest and you'll see some stairs that take you to a grated floor that hugs the wall around to the backside

There is a elevator that takes you down from the bio rifle room into the sniper rifle room. No need for a hole in the floor :D

Once again thanks for the suggestions, Ill take all into account and see what I can do. I'll get this puppy locked pretty soon I think.

Last edited:

[VaLkyR]Assassin

Kidneythieves and Poets of The Fall Fan
Jan 20, 2008
Blackpool, England, UK
valkyrgaming.com
There is a rocket launcher in there as well. Its on the back side of the reactor.

Funnily enough, in spectator mode at the start I found it while flying around the level to see the layout, but during gameplay, I was never able to find it, as it never seemed to flow that way or come into sight... I'll replay it again tonight to see if I can come across it during gameplay.

SolStryke

Jan 21, 2008
Hey all, just wanted to let you new I posted the new update. As always enjoy and comment so I can get this baby fine tuned

Trynant

Manic Brawler
Jan 31, 2002
Quiet Island
trynant.wordpress.com
critiques

Okay, I've played Beta6, and finally found the spot where the Flak Cannon is (yay me). I have two criticisms.

1. There is only one viable entry way into the basement area (through the siege reactor room), and only one entrance really stifles the flow between basement-to-toplevel-to-seigereactor. The bio rifle room is a good exit, but as far as using the lift to get into the basement its difficult and hard to find. I strongly recommend "opening up" a large space between the sniper room and the bio room that a player could easily jump down instead of jumping down onto a lift only to be elevated back into the bio room (yes I know you can quickly scamper off the lift but instictively this is counter-intuitive IMO).

2. The stairwell to the Flak cannon is really hard to find in the map. It took me several double-takes of the siege reactor before I found the thing. Adding more walkway to the flak cannon would help, because right now its rather hard to see and to get to.

Also, as I recall there aren't any sounds for the elevators, it would help to add some.

Otherwise I like the map a whole bunch (even if the slow field is a cheap piece of crap :p), and would love to see the final result.

Grogan

This map is just great now. One thing I really like about it, is the speed. It moves faster than most other maps. I just played a couple of rounds of this with Instagib, with 10 bots and had a blast.

Also, the purple glow from the reactor on some surfaces in certain places in the map is a nice touch.

It does seem to flow better now as well, the placement of jump pads makes it easier to get around now.