UT3 DM-Saturation [1on1] [PC] [PS3] [20 Brush Contest]

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Cr4zyB4st4rd

I make awesome ©
Aug 8, 2008
P'Boro, UK

Saturation_Map_Preview.jpg

Version: Final (v1.0)
Compatibility: Patch 2.1

This map is an entry for leveldesign.nl's 20 brush contest. Maps to be designed with 20 brushes or less. Saturation has been completed with 18 brushes and 2 lifts (count as a brush each)
I wanted to do something different, colourful and fun.

Player Count: 2 - 4

Credits:
+Me
+Epic for UnrealEd and UT3
+Evillair for his eCel textures

Homepage: http://Cr4zyB4st4rd.co.uk

Review: 20 Brush Contest [UT3/UDK] 1st place - http://www.leveldesign.nl/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=102
Sjosz said:
DM-Saturation 84/100

Gameplay: 32/40
There is a lot of layout to be had here, with several floors, some catwalks, some liftjumps and a very circular flow.
The level has an interesting and impressive layout for 20 brushes, with plenty of height variation, z-axis combat in select locations and lift-jumps. I like how the layout offers multiple paths pretty much anywhere and how it guides me around the layout without me paying attention to it.
Weapon placement is smart throughout, as is ammo and health placement, and I'm quite fond of the liftjump for the body armor pickup. Seems to be plenty of pickups to make anyone spawning in have choices before being confronted with an opponent.

Technical: 16/20
Solid brushwork and AI works throughout, but use of light actors is excessive.

Visual: 18/20
This level uses a theme, or a variation on a metal/industrial theme I have not yet seen before and it does it well. The level is cleverly trimmed using trim in materials, and these materials, combined with the lighting work, is surprisingly easy on the eyes.
The sky works well, but it also highlights the one visual element of the level I don't like (though I understand why it's there), which is that all the geometry in the level ends at precisely the same point, which, for all the visual things the level does right, seems jarring.
Still, overall the visual quality of the level is quite astonishing for the limitations given, and the use of new materials in an existing theme makes it look fresh and unique.

Creativity: 16/20
Clever use of theme and brushes throughout. The twist on a techy theme by adding the separate wall colours made the level look fresh.
PC Download:

FTP -PC - 15MB .rar

PS3 Download:
FTP - PS3 - 10MB .JAM

Last edited:

Darkdrium

20% Cooler
Jun 6, 2008
Montreal
I just had a quick run through:

My performance is brutally and mercilessly murdered when I look at any of the two lifts... So in the end I played without bots.
I think some textures could do with being higher resolution, particularly the white square tile if it's possible because it contrasts a lot against the high resolution guns.
There are a few unexplained blobs of light in certain places that do not have a visible source, and because of the simplicity of the design they look weirder than they would in a fully decorated map.
Some trim texture misalignment issues but I suppose that's due to the limited brush count. That's really minor so I'm just saying it.

That's it for now, I think the main thing in all is the texture resolution if it can be fixed, then the lifts (I accept that I have an older computer but I still hit 62FPS everywhere else but there.)

Cr4zyB4st4rd

I make awesome ©
Aug 8, 2008
P'Boro, UK
I noticed one mistake where I accidentally changed a material as such it ended up being wall nut wall+light.
I get drops looking at lifts although I have no idea why. Only dynamic lights are a select few directionals less then any other map I've made.
Problem with the textures is the pack is from quake, as such the resolution is 256x256 to 512x512 if that, a few are 64x64 filled a ton. Didn't have the time to touch up or recreate them unfortunately.

Thanks for the feedback and giving it a play :)

Last edited:

HedgeMaster

May 3, 2009
Just gave it a try.

Nice, original design. Map feels somewhat crazy, many unusual architectural solutions here.
Graphics feel fine, but that may be only my little HOLP fetish. Still, low-res textures don't hurt really thanks to their simplicity and applied shadowmaps.

DeathoX 8

Beta Toaster
Jan 20, 2008
Just tried it, you've got a nice layout for a 20 brush map man, it's quite extended :)
It's a bit too extended for my taste for a Duel map, personally I found it fine with four players. The gameplay really flows well, the only things that I would have mapped differently are the lift speed (it requires a timing too precise for my taste to perform liftjumps, but that's probably because I just like lifts that give plenty of air time) and the health placement (I think that it's a bit too concentrated near the Shield Belt and Shock Rifle, which are some quite important items by themselves. I found myself coming a bit too often in that zone when I was low on health). I would also have made the 50A crates shorter so you could double jump on them, right now it's a bit too complex to grab for being just a 50A and bots seem to pretty much ignore it.

I think that the eCel texes looked fine, it doesn't matter much if they are low-res since they are very clean. It's when you used very dirty and detailed textures that the low-resness stands out the most.
The map looks nice for a 20 brush map, the only thing that looks a bit out of place in my eyes is that pillar texture with the black zig-zag in the middle, I'd have used something a little more solid-looking.

Overall a nice and very fun to play map, GL for the contest :)

Teridax

Fresh meat.
Nov 2, 2008
Just downloaded this today. I liked the simplicity of it, and the gameplay flows really well. I really liked how the map looked. I don't know what it was about it specifically, but it just looked really good.

The bots handled themselves decently, although there was one point where they got stuck on one of the lifts. It only happened once, though.

Great job overall. I hope this map does well in the contest.

Cr4zyB4st4rd

I make awesome ©
Aug 8, 2008
P'Boro, UK
Just tried it, you've got a nice layout for a 20 brush map man, it's quite extended :)
It's a bit too extended for my taste for a Duel map, personally I found it fine with four players. The gameplay really flows well, the only things that I would have mapped differently are the lift speed (it requires a timing too precise for my taste to perform liftjumps, but that's probably because I just like lifts that give plenty of air time) and the health placement (I think that it's a bit too concentrated near the Shield Belt and Shock Rifle, which are some quite important items by themselves. I found myself coming a bit too often in that zone when I was low on health). I would also have made the 50A crates shorter so you could double jump on them, right now it's a bit too complex to grab for being just a 50A and bots seem to pretty much ignore it.

I think that the eCel texes looked fine, it doesn't matter much if they are low-res since they are very clean. It's when you used very dirty and detailed textures that the low-resness stands out the most.
The map looks nice for a 20 brush map, the only thing that looks a bit out of place in my eyes is that pillar texture with the black zig-zag in the middle, I'd have used something a little more solid-looking.

Overall a nice and very fun to play map, GL for the contest :)

Thanks. Originally I wanted the 50 to be easier to reach, however I had issues when fighting in that area when they were smaller as such kept getting stuck on them, or jumping up and being where i didnt want to be. They're walldodgeable or hammer jumpable aswell as the lifts to hopefully allow most people to obtain them.
As for lifts I modified the speeds quite a bit although didn't want them too fast otherwise players hit the map roof. If the lift jump isn't too easy a lift jump + walldodge works fine, especially for the 50a.

As for that pillar, originally it was the same as the wall textures. But I didn't like the way it blended in. Needed something to make it just stand out a little more.

Thanks for the feedback though :)

Just downloaded this today. I liked the simplicity of it, and the gameplay flows really well. I really liked how the map looked. I don't know what it was about it specifically, but it just looked really good.

The bots handled themselves decently, although there was one point where they got stuck on one of the lifts. It only happened once, though.

Great job overall. I hope this map does well in the contest.

Thanks. I think the lighting really helps it look better, and if you have PP/bloom etc on, it has quite a nice pop to the contrast too. If not that, maybe it's because there's some colour in it :p

Bots are always a pain. I hate them :(

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
simple and very good map!

Hope everyone likes pastel bright colors and dark gray/blue skies! Just kidding and congrats on winning the contest. I like the layout, ramps, weapon placement, z-axis, smooth flow, shadows, lighting and music to help bring out the atmosphere. I like the what seems to be original trim (or at least looks different to me) in here. The lift jumps are fun and I liked that one tight corridor you fall down into in the lower section. I noticed an ever-so-slight slow down when looking across the map and moving, but really not bad at all and very slight on my 2-year old system. I played with 3 players, but more could be more fun.