UT2kX DM-Reincarnate-Alpha01

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

MeanyMortal

They call me Berjj
Oct 2, 2004
Sweden
EDIT: Download link didn't seem to be working properly, updated with a working link.

Wow, it's been a long time since I last posted anything new here. I'll brush the dust from the shelf and make this quick.

I'm working on a new Ut2004 map, it's actually based on an old layout I worked on back in 2005 or 2006 but lost due to a disc crash. In any case, this is the very first playable version, meaning it consists solely of very rough BSP shapes. Navigating the level can be a bit tricky since there's no light to guide your eyes (yet), just simple lighting placed around at random to let you see anything at all. Bot support and pickups included.

What I need to know:

- Does the layout work? Does it need tweaking? Does it need to be heavily reworked? How can it be improved?
- Does the item placement work? How can it be improved?

Personally I feel like some floors could use a bit more height variation, but it would otherwise work well.

Download link: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?j33otc5xm5kdp5p

See screenshots below.

Attachments

• ReincarnateOverview.jpg
    ReincarnateOverview.jpg
    644.8 KB · Views: 19
  • 2012-02-08_00003.jpg
    2012-02-08_00003.jpg
    345.9 KB · Views: 22
  • 2012-02-08_00002.jpg
    2012-02-08_00002.jpg
    421.5 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

hwkwndl5

Sep 10, 2005
a very nice layout, great mobility from on part of the map to the other. the bots are slaughtering my ass on masterful, so that's good. you typically put small health vials and adrenaline along walls or in tighter place, some places not, most i agree with. you planing on a lift jump opportunity for say double damage or super health? i'm looking forward to beta

Tux Android

Voice Pack Penguin
May 19, 2011
Philippines
Played the map in ALPHA and enjoyed it. Looks fine with any of the old PCs and very good details (must be a good basic I think). I guess you could get some more jungle-themed decors with variations if needed much.

Apr 11, 2006
Took a look about, I liked it overall.

There's a couple of places where, dodgejumping and walldodging about caused me to hit walls, possibly unncessarily. I tend to walldodgejump everywhere for mobility, so it might just be me.

The lower "trench" section with the health vials seemed like it might benefit from an elevator to the upper area, or possibly just a small dodge-ramp or ledge so you aren't stuck down there. That seemed like it was a rather risky area for not much reward.

MeanyMortal

They call me Berjj
Oct 2, 2004
Sweden
Thanks for all the feedback and sorry for the late reply.

I'm aware that some areas a very tight and narrow, I designed the level this way on purpose in order to increase the effect of splash weapons such as the Rocket Launcher and Flak Cannon. Most levels nowadays are weighted heavily towards long-distance fighting dominated by Lightning Gun and Shock Rifle duels. I didn't want the same thing for this level.

In general, feedback has been positive from most people who've replied to me, but here are some of the things I consider changing:

- Adding a Link Gun to the Health Vial trench by the 50 Shield and also enabling players to wall dodge/ramp dodge out of it.
- Add some slight height variety and slightly narrow down the corridor connecting the Flak Pit with the Rocket Room.
- Shrink down the 100 Shield room slightly and reconstruct the Ramp room containing the minigun.
- Add a very narrow cliff-like passage between the catwalk in the 100 shield room and the lightning gun opening.

I don't have any plans for adding liftjumps or a damage AMP in the level at this point, but that might change in time.