1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

UT3 DM-Plaza - Massive, Action Packed

Discussion in 'Content Releases' started by Lungri, Oct 18, 2008.

1. Lungri

Lungri New Member

DM-Plaza - Massive, Action Packed [PICS][PC-DL][UPDATED]

Name:
    DM-Plaza

Version:
    1.1 (If the preview screenshot isn't high res, you have the wrong version)

Compatibility:
    UT3 Version 1.3

Description:
    "A stunning deathmatch arena with unique features, brilliant flow and design, high caliber graphics, and plenty of health, and power-ups. Made for large scale Team Deathmatch battles, ideal for 32 player competition."

Comments:
    My MSUC phase 2 entry...it turned out totally awesome. A blast to play, lots of action. Lots of style, deployable items, no global post-processing effects, no claustrophobic-hallway architecture, smooth flow in layout, and other features to make for better gameplay...things rarely seen in maps. The screenshots don't do it justice, it's gotta be played to see how it really all fits together and works.

See the included readme for additional notes...enjoy

Screenshot:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Credits:
    All Me
    Thanks to Epic for the UT3 editor

Download:
    Download here -
    http://www.fileplanet.com/files/190000/193339.shtml

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2008
  2. hal

hal Dictator Staff Member

Looks very festive.

3. _Lynx

_Lynx Strategic Military Services Staff Member

Umm...yeah... Lots of color...

4. Cr4zyB4st4rd

Cr4zyB4st4rd I make awesome ©

Colourful, not seen in UT3 much :d

5. PsyXandeR

PsyXandeR Member

Too much colors. Way too much.

6. Kantham

Kantham Fool.

Weeeeeeeed

7. Darkdrium

Darkdrium 20% Cooler

DP would enjoy that, wouldn't he?

8. Lungri

Lungri New Member

Let me know what you guys think...after you play it, not just glance at the screenshots...I bet you prefer all your maps in blurry shades of beige, eh southpark? :p It's a lot of color in panorama but each area is actually pretty unified...it's a hella good map, trust me

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2008
  9. cooloola

cooloola A good samaritan

Try not acting like such a douche, satureated greeb, blue abd yellow is not what i call unified. And just by looking at a screenshot you can tell if the map will play well or not.

10. Lungri

Lungri New Member

Of course people are defensive about their work...but No...you can't...a screenshot can only tell you so much and mostly about the angles, and these ones are pretty complex either way...not weapon placement or how it actually plays...and that wasn't even what he was commenting on, just knocking it without trying it...a little slide-viewer toy is not a game machine. On the ground, from first person, each area is sectioned off as it's own little spot, and each is actually pretty unified...And There's not nearly enough maps with color...99 and even 04 were way colorful, UT3 is all monotone and 'gritty'.

Please play it before you decide, that's all.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2008
  11. PsyXandeR

PsyXandeR Member

You are well aware of the fact that even in a such colorless game like UT3, color has to be used with caution? If Not, it will result in psychodelic if not crappy lighting. Use only 3 lightcolors - 2 main ones and 1 additional which is supposed to be an eyecatcher. Orange, cyan and either green or red work just fine.

12. Lungri

Lungri New Member

When you make a map use whatever colors and lighting you want :rolleyes: ...How're you gonna tell me a math formula for lighting...where's your map at?

These ones work pretty well I think...And just because color isn't used in UT3 doesn't mean it shouldn't be...I think people just aren't putting enough style and flavor into their maps....The closer you get to photo-realism the further you get from artistic expression anyway....psychedelic color is a good thing in my book...but, as I say in the notes...I stay away from making it too garish or bright, and keeps a feel of night time, and could be an real area that just has high electricity bills...it's varied overall, but so is the map itself.

Did you play it yet? We can debate over my screenshots all day

13. PsyXandeR

PsyXandeR Member

Of course you can use whatever lighting you want :rolleyes:... unless it turns into big piece of junk. Honestly how many lightcolors did you use? 5? (that's what I counted oh pics by the way). About that red door on pic1, extensively used red is bad. Check out this tut - http://teamvortex.planetunreal.gamespy.com/DavidM/lighting2.html , its quite educating. :rolleyes: Try not to use such agrresive light, done down the saturation a little bit.

Anyway let me now download the map and I will get you some more feedback.

O btw, answering your question ... ever wondered what's hidden in my sig ?

Last edited: Oct 19, 2008
  14. sneh

sneh -

I didn't think the screenshots were that bad.

I'm surprised how strongly everybody is reacting.. Since he isn't aiming for photo-realistic, I don't see what's so wrong.

But ok I agree, it looks a bit Unreal. (This is a map for Real 3 isnt it?)

15. hal

hal Dictator Staff Member

I'll be checking out all the phase 2 entries, so I'll remember to leave some feedback when I get to this one. I wasn't being negative in my comment, just noting that it was very colorful. :)

16. Lungri

Lungri New Member

yea, it's not called Starkly Real tournament. I think it really steps out from others by actually being colorful. If everyone read some FAQ on how to do lighting every map would look the same, and usually does Alex. I'm confident in my own artistic, and gaming senses to do it my own damn way, really, when you make a map do whatever you want, but TRY this one before you go on and on about it.

It's a bad trend this generation that everything looks desaturated and kind of bland. I'll say in UT3 I flat-out don't like Epic's mapping style. They have a couple decent levels...gateway, Deimos, Sanctuary, but they're monotone for the most part. It seems a lot of map makers are just sort of emulating this style, and because of that a lot of maps tend to look the same...cluttered with static mesh...same tones and colors...way too much post-processing...The games that really represent gaming have actual color to them, but for some reason they keep making this gritty gray rubble stuff these days. I don't think people are really even into it, I find a map like this much more visually appealing. It's clean, yet complex, and in game the colors blend together great, and things that are bright are supposed to be.

Also if those are your maps, I've seen some of those screenshots before Alex, I actually liked that someone was using strong color, Why are you telling me not to? Yours are brighter, and I'd say UT99 doesn't blend light as well as 3...they stand out a bit too much with light flare, but it's the choices that count.

As far as how many different colors? Like a million...when I say unified though, in each area you're looking at only about 3 primary. As for the red and green doors...Play the map, you'll see why they're bright red and green.

Thanks to everyone who's actually playing it though, 74 downloads and it's not even on the MSUC site yet :D...let me know what you think.

17. PsyXandeR

PsyXandeR Member

Guess what - I'm not really against of saturation, that's fine with me. I was just giving a hint, that's all. As for stong colorin my new map, I will probably change it, it's way to colorfull. However, getting back on topic, 6(!) lightcolors are way too much especially when they don't fit together.

Yeah I've checked out your map :) Firstly - I think that layout is oversized. Badly. It would fit in UT2004 much better. As far gameplay is concerned, I find it quite good for some random server spammage that can be quite fun but it doesn't really work if you kept competitive gameplay in mind.

Talking about visuals, I didn't really like them. Everything has a perfect cubic shape - not good, add 45 degree / curved surfaces to make it look pretty. Cyan buildings on a background look strange. Way too strange. If you were aiming for originality, and I'm quite sure you did, forget about using weird lightcolors. That's common mistake - " OMG I want to maek my teh levelzor or1g1nal, I'm g0nnah add green, purple, orange and pink. ololol" If you truly want to make it look original, you will have to do that with actual geometry ( making things that has never been done before). So there you go :)

BTW I had no intention to sound harsh but apparently I was. Forgive me for that. :eek:

EDIT - Whatever you wish ^^ I don't really want to argue with you on that matter. If you choose to ignore, please do so. I don't mind.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2008
  18. Lungri

Lungri New Member

There's no max on light colors...I really like how these ones blend together Huge layout is great...I like large battles, and hate claustrophobic-hallway style maps where you just wander around and can't tell one area from another...no need to be insulting with it. It's hella fun, has a great flow and pace of battle. I dunno what 'competitive' play you're thinking of...MSUC is competitive playing :D. The gameplay is hectic but still tactical, good angles, good cover, good flow...a lot of thought put into how things fit around. Maybe you don't like this much maneuverability? Despite being big, it's fairly broken up into sections where actual battle happens...as I said, if it ain't your style, oh well.

The geometry is pretty complex, especially in how it transitions to different areas, and nuances about how you can move around/what you can hop up to with boots. I love those background buildings, and I was going for originality, but not with just lighting...with overall variety/artistic style, visual and architectural, but you're just being a dick about it...It's original in both geometry and style, the lighting isn't just multi-colored and bright for the sake of being so...give it a good look, get passed your weird pre-bias, maybe you'll have fun, maybe not...at least after a few pages of telling me all about it you finally gave it a try, :rolleyes: Thanks

If it's not your style, whatever, but chill out...especially for having made a bunch of maps with bright/more uniform color yourself...I don't get it. Get into a few rounds of First-to-100 TDM with 32 bots, and I bet it's your favorite map...

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2008
  19. Thrallala

Thrallala Wait, if you're here then that means...

Alright, when I first saw the screenshots I thought it didn't really look too good so I didn't download it. However after reading some comments I decided to give it a go anyway and here's what I thought (Please don't take anything I write here personal, these are just my thoughts about your map, nothing else)

1. The map is way overscaled in some places
    2. I got annoyed by the overly loud water sounds in the middle of the map (atleast I think it was in the middle, lol... quite a massive map :p)
    3. The Paladin is way overpowered and imo should never be found in a deathmatch map
    4. The giant doors didn't work properly at sometimes
    5. I don't think placing 3 armor parts next to eachother on several places is a good choice
    6. In the middle of the map, you have some underwater area or something, I took a trip down here but I couldn't find a way up? Also, the walls in the water area appeared completely black for me. Could be my computer.
    7. You have some strange colorful lighting in this map, in some places it's ok, but in most cases it looks totally out of place.
    8. You have a big clocktower in the middle of the map, it looks really wierd with the bright pink color.
    9. I felt that there where way too many powerups available (even for such a massive map).
    10. The visual appearence of this map did not please me at all, I've already mentioned the scale issue which is a big part of the visual appearence, but also... the texture work isn't really appealing and you have some wierd mesh choices (some good aswell though)

Those where the bad comments.

What I liked about the map was, it sure as hell is action packed and if I don't think of the visuals, the map was indeed pretty fun to play. I also liked some of the effects you've used, like the trees which turned techy force field when you walked throught them, was pretty cool :).

And again, please don't take any of this personal.

20. Lungri

Lungri New Member

1. which places?
    2. Yea...I was trying to figure out a good balance because the default maps always have their ambient sounds too low to hear...just turn down your ambient volume
    3. I thought it was a good choice for a single vehicle to be in a map. If you think about it, it's actually the weakest of all the vehicles (except maybe the nightshade)...everything else can run something down quickly and is ultra maneuverable, and has a much higher rate of fire. With the amounts of health an armor in-game, I've seen bots survive a direct shot and just bounce away pretty often, which is still pretty funny...plus when you rumble outside with it you can take out a few people but it's balanced so that you still can't really hold onto it for how many angles people can get at you, and the link guns aren't in places where you can hide it too easily.
    4. How so? There's one or two where the bots won't really understand them, but they open soon enough and aren't frequently used. I've seen them stay open a gap once for some reason, but that's throughout many playthroughs.
    5. Why not? You realize UT3 is horribly fatalistic...max armor and health brings you roughly to the level of a standard FPS...you can survive a at least a little while with it, if you keep moving on to the next. Longer life=longer firefights=more fun. It's really just lame to spawn with a single enforcer, 100 health (which is means dead in a second) and just go to it...all 3 armor-sets are in front of a spawn point.
    6. Might be your computer, what are your settings at?...there's an obvious way up but certainly not if it's all black...you gotta go underneath the path towards the LRC. It's meant to be sort of a slow down if you go into it...it's provides some cover in the center, and there's goodies down there, and to get out you have to move out of the center area as the downside for re-upping on armor and health.
    7. Where at? It's not supposed to be realistic of course, but I thought the map stuck to a single style of lighting well...which part are you thinking of? Which area really stands out from another as being too weird?
    8. The clock hands you mean? I think they balance the blue color that's on there well
    9. Maybe...I prefer it more active, and in each area where they're at, they're meant to suit that area/add cover
    10. Oh well...it's just not some people's style. Which areas do you think were over scaled? Which parts don't fit the range of the weapons given to you in that section? You'll note that in every place, even though it looks big, you can get through it, or around it from a different angle, quite quickly.

Thanks for all the feedback...I don't take it personal...constructive criticism is a good thing. It'd be great if you'd elaborate on these points. Since it sounds like you're having some weird glitches on it...are you running at 5/5 on detail? That might work it out.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2008