DM-Murkwood released :)

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

jon

Feb 14, 2000
Visit site
Well here is
http://www.combatmaps.com/combatmaps/html/download/maps/tdm/DM-INF-Murkwood.zip
My attempt at a UT forest. If it seems small or you can spot the joins at the edges, please remember that it is a UT forest. Like always, as soon as I finish a map I start to see things I could have done better, well maybe next time.
Another mega thankyou to Dark Sniper for the quick and painless INF conversion. Thanyou :)
now what shall I do now.

Freon

Braaaaiinss...
Jan 27, 2002
France
www.3dfrags.com
really nice in deep
but I've found a few bug/strange things
- rops on one on the tent are non solid but the not the other
- there are 2 waterfalls :con:
- maybe too bright?
- you don't get frag for shooting/stomping rabbits :D

jon

Feb 14, 2000
Visit site
I think the rope thing is an invisible wall thing.
Two waterfalls, yeah, I did think of making a little tunnel for the water to run into on the other bank but it could have caused a BSP and well, you can't be at both ends at once, I did think of loosing them completely, cause they look pretty bad but they don't come into view very often so there they are.
Brightness is a weird thing. When I turn on my computer, for about the first 10 mins I can't see a thing in the map, then over the evening it gets progressivly brighter until I can see all the horrible edges. just about everone has a different brightness or gamma setting on their screens. I actualy thought someone was going to complain because it was to dark. Its an alnmost impossible thing to judge. I bet if everone were to submit a screenshot they would all be different.
Shooting the rabbits is bad for your soul
and standing on them just messes up your boots ;)
I was going to ask DS to take out the axe next to the bunnies on the table, but forgot, little bit off AH excess there :)
But hey, only three errors so far, thats already an all time record for me :D

roboman35

Soviet
Jul 22, 2001
San Francisco
Visit site
For some reason when I run down the creek I die all of a sudden when I get to one spot.

BTW, how are supposed to get out of the net trap?
*Mumbles something about how he got caught by the net and fell in the spikes*

jon

Feb 14, 2000
Visit site
If you wait the net comes down again, I think I set it to 30 seconds, its just there to make you feel silly hanging around ;)
never died in the creek before.

LAMER_7267

strange and... unusual.
Jan 11, 2002
right here...
Visit site
Great map! :tup:

I just love the traps! Dang it's cool to walk around staring at the ground looking for traps and then when you least expect it, you get killed by one of those über-1337 bots! :D
The one thing I don't like about this map (perhaps it isn't about the map :eek: ) is that I feel sick when I play it. I mean all those trees make me feel dizzy... :con: Ah well, I love this map so I'll have to adapt! :p

RAZZ

aka FURY13RT
I cant believe how good it is.
This map is another amazing piece of work.

kept saying to my self "traps? what traps? :con: I dont see any..."
then I saw an arrow land in a tree just two inches in front my face :eek:

Shooting the rabbits is bad for your soul

aww, cmon!?
their wild and dangerous animals you know.
*reloads Desert eagle*
I finally got an exceuse to use this thing :p

DredDamo

Nov 30, 2000
www.damodred.net
Sweet. i'll have a review of this luvly treed map by tomorrow. I think i would've used another layer of leaves, and slightly taller trunks...you can see where the trunks end in a few spots...but you mentioned there'd be bugs :p

More forest! More forest!

so uh...what're those humps supposed to be, other than obvious places of concealment? :D They're a leetle regular to be hills...

Link up on the RM page, to FilePlanet.

D.

mute_dammit

Just mute, dammit!
Sep 11, 2001
Lushus. The traps are excellent (hope it works online). Is there a reason you can't climb on the very top of those rocky hillock things?

jaymian

Sweet Merciful Crap!
Jan 25, 2001
If a tree falls in the forest, does it make a sound?

Great map AH. I too found the bsp deathtrap along the back fence near the stream. Honestly, I'm surprised your maps aren't loaded with them. Your maps are so complicated, I'm sure you have some trick to get good rebuilds. Stop holding out on us:) With half as much complication, I get twice as many bsp errors. I love all the little details you added. The map looks great, and by far the best unreal forest EVER. You used some very nice textures, to help hide unreals lameness:) Let me see now, you beat a forest, so another "impossible" map idea. Here's a few: oil rig, detailed city map, haunted manor, and an indiana jones map. Oh wait, forget it.
Jaymian

BulletSponge

may also be used as a GrenadeMagnet
Jul 20, 1999
Re: If a tree falls in the forest, does it make a sound?

Originally posted by jaymian
the bsp deathtrap along the back fence near the stream.

With a little help, I took a screenie of the location of the bsp of death. I seem to get hung on the corner of the fence shortly before falling over.

I hope this helps a little.

Great map, btw :)

DarkSniper

Do something other than design levels?
Jun 6, 2001
Tennessee
www.combatmaps.com
Man I have been unable to post all day for some reason. Would not let me log in.

But anyway I just wanted to say Thanks Angelheart for yet another awesome gift to the INF community. This map is sooo sweet. Already goes to number 1 on my favs list poor panzer has to go to # 2. hee hee

Guys I tried to find all the errors I could when I converted it. But for the fence bsp, I would say just avoid it. :) I am amazed at the complex geometry that AH has pulled off here. And I aplaude him in his effort. The map is the finest example of a heavily forested map that we have. And it runs amazingly well to boot. What more could you ask for? This I think is enough to forgive the occasional error.

To Freon: LOL thanks, and I wish!!!! :D

Oh, I did not attemt to path any of the tunnels in an attempt to keep bot loops at a minimum. The bots should do okay, just tell them every now and then to do something.

Once again THANKS Angelheart!

BulletSponge

may also be used as a GrenadeMagnet
Jul 20, 1999
Document it, so it'll be upgraded to a "feature."

Call it something like the "rusty nail sticking out of the fence with a mutated instant-kill tetanus virus on it" trap.

This is quickly becoming my favorite Inf map, even if I am still falling in that spike pit from time to time.

-Sponge

jon

Feb 14, 2000
Visit site
I'm glad most people seem to like it, I think it suits the INF style game quite well, as much as it shows how bad the standard UT game fits into a realistic setting. I knew that I wouldn't get all the
BSP errors and like you I'm just as amazed that there arn't more. That could be a lot to do with mesh maker again. I also hate all those silly things you have to do to keep poly counts down, roll on U2, but then I guess there'll be so many forests we'll get sick of them. Anyone notice how the bots nearly always avoid the pit trap by springing it and then jumping it. Creepy hey :) and I love the way they die when the spikes hit them, I set the traps to falling death rather than decapitated. And don't those bots look great compaired to some of the other better know mods.