DM-Gravadyne7

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
If you haven't seen it, you can check out DM-Gravadyne7 at:

http://www.planetunreal.com/fragadelic/utmaps/gravadyne7.htm

It's also in the NaliCity last 30 days list (it was released in October right as they were transferring their site).

Viewdeck out to the sun and trapdoor:
Gravadyne7_ViewdeckFore.jpg

The experimental anti-gravity chamber up to the redeemer:
Gravadyne7_GrvLftEntrancethumb.jpg

Somebody getting gravitationally degaussed ;) :
Gravadyne7_GravDegauss0.jpg

faderide

Far beyond driven
Did I hear somewhere that this was your first map?
Either way......wow!
Nice piece of work. Only thing that bother me was falling off and receiving too much fall damage, but after playing a few times and learning my way around the map this was no longer a problem.
Impressive.

Btw...you seem to have some experience with gravity zones and
scripting....you wouldn't happen to know how I could alter or eliminate falling damage in a specific zone?

hmm

hey balton, what you doin' in here ;)

faderide -

ya first map, but i spent a fair amount of time on it, being somewhat obsessive, well screw that, extremely obsessive ;)

yeah, i decided not to worry too much about the falling damage because once you know your way around it feels so good (to me anyway) to be able to jump and fall and bounce of things with a real feeling of gravity and inertia instead of making it nice and soft for the first-time player. That might well insure lots of people never play it after the first time but oh well lol ...

To eliminate falling damage in a specific zone, there are a number of factors you could experiment with ... Of course the most obvious is alter the architecture to make the falling distance less. You can also go into the zoneinfo's properties under ZoneInfo and decrease the ZoneGravity parameter. You can also adjust the ZoneTerminalVelocity, but you can get into some weird behavior using that, so thoroughly test anything you change that way. The other thing you could do (like i did in DM-Gravadyne7) is to make sure there are plenty of jumpboots available in the area, as Jumpboots and Shielding both greatly mitigate falling damage, jumpboots particularly, but then you have to be careful that the boots don't disrupt the flow or unintentionally make it too easy for players to reach somewhere they're not supposed to reach from that particular area of that map. HTH.

hey lugguge

i get a 404 when i clink on that link btw ...

revelation: people are incredibly fickle so make your map however you want to. Was on a gameserver the other day where DM-Gravadyne7 was running ... 8 players, no bots, 2 spectators (including me). It was a total blast watching how that many human players interracted with the map. Fascinating.

Anyway (the fickle part) -- in the course of just that game i heard 2 people say they hated the music, and another guy say he loved it.

At the end of the game one of the players said "Bring on a real level" and his bud said "Amen!", and somebody else said "shutup, loser!" and then a while later i checked my Hotmail and the admin had sent me mail earlier saying she was getting lots of positive comments since putting it and DM-PianoHorror into rotation and she thought Gravadyne7 was one of the more intelligently-designed maps she'd seen in a while.

Go figure. ;)

LXIXGTO

"Cruising At The Speed of Iron!"
Re: hey lugguge

Originally posted by navboy
... she thought Gravadyne7 was one of the more intelligently-designed maps she'd seen in a while. Go figure. ;)
I'll go along with that. Gravadyne7 is a very fun map in
my humble opinion. It is refreshing to see a map with something
more to offer than just hallways, lava, and rooms etc ...
This one is staying on my hard drive. :)
As you asserted, everyone will have their own preferences. I
agree that a first time player might get discouraged at first
by falling and dying so much. But anyone who spends some time playing it and using the jump boots to their advantage has to
admit that it is a very different kind of map. A real feat for such an
old game. :D
Thanx for sharing Gravadyne 7.
Keep up the good work!

:biorifle:

:cool: