Disappearing Terrain

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

pseudosafari

Feb 16, 2004
Hi.
I've nearly finished a Chizra-styled temple map for UT2k4 but after zoning I've found a problem with my terrain. In all the zones where the terrain occurs or is visible from I set bTerrainZone = True under the ZoneInfo, but when moving through from the main outside area to a hallway that shows a smaller section of the terrain I have problems. When viewing the terrain from a zone I set up beneath the entranceway to the hall the terrain appears entirely black as if no lighting has been applied to it, and then as I get closer and move into the hallway itself the terrain completely disappears. :(

Is there more to making terrain visible with collision when zoning than the bTerrainZone parameter? It has really got me baffled.

Thanks to anyone who replies.

If anyone wants to take a look at the map in the editor I've posted a beta at unrealplayground

http://www.unrealplayground.com/download.php?mapid=11089

_Lynx

Strategic Military Services
Staff member
Dec 5, 2003
Moscow, Russia
beyondunreal.com
If I rememver right - the outdoor maps a never zoned to avoid such problems. They consist of one zone. Check Antalus or any big terrain-based map like ONS-RedPlanet, ONS-Severance, ONS-Dawn, ONS-Torlan or AS-Junkyard.

Ironblayde

Director of Misanthropy
Feb 24, 2004
The primary reason that outdoor maps don't use zoning is that it's impractical; such maps are far too open to partition with zone portals. Zone portals can be problematic if they intersect a segment of terrain, though. To use one of your examples, Lynx, DM-Antalus does have a little bit of zoning, in the underground room that houses the Super Shield Pack. Notice that the terrain is kept entirely in one zone, though.

Pseudo_Safari: You'll have to either move your zone portals so they don't intersect your terrain, or else create a separate terrain for each zone. For an example of a largely outdoor map that uses zoning with separate terrain actors, see DM-Aristocracy2004.

Twrecks

Spectacularly Lucky
Mar 6, 2000
In Luxury
www.twrecks.info
You can only see/interact with terrain who's "terrain actor" is in that zone, with the bTerrainZone=True naturally.
Also, never place a terrain actor inside a solid brush, as that is a NO ZONE! :)

edit, stupid statement about windows removed.

Terrain should not extend past the zone its terrain actor resides, or clipping may occur. Any zone you want to see terrain from/in set the bTerrainZone to true.

Last edited:

pseudosafari

Feb 16, 2004
Thanks all for the advice. I moved a few zone portals around to get the terrain showing inside and now it's working fine.
Cheers!