UE1 - UT Deus Ex: New Vision - Mapper Needed

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

DaveW

Jul 30, 2008
United Kingdom
I'm the developer of a mod for Deus Ex called New Vision (ModDB Profile here). New Vision is a retexturing mod that replaces the original Deus Ex textures with high resolution versions.

The mod adds a serious amount of extra detail to the maps in Deus Ex, and unfortunately this makes a lot mapping errors alarmingly obvious. Issues such as upside down doors, major texture misalignments, previously blurry textures being used where they shouldn't - all these errors show up with the new textures which decreases the impact of the mod.

None of these are elements can be fixed within the texture files, which is why I need the help of a mapper (or mappers, ideally) to alter then on a per-map basis. But in addition to this there is the potential to add another level of detail to maps, adding extra elements to graphically enhance the environments using the new textures.

I would need the mapper to be able to fix texture issues and add detail based on my instructions and your own ideas - for example, I might show you this:
56511623.jpg

But you might want to add your own ideas to it.

You would need a copy of Deus Ex, which uses UnrealEd1 - however there is a hack that should allow you to use UnrealEd2 if you prefer.

Please contact me by e-mail or PM if you're interested in working with me on this.

Thanks,
-Dave

Last edited:

Spiney

Jun 12, 2010
This is also a great chance to redo lighting, as the early New York maps used only white lights. In later levels they used colored lights and the difference in atmosphere is significant.

One problem with this though... every mission is a self contained map, so everytime you alter one level you'll revisit you need to alter it in all the maps, which is a pain in the ass.
Though I'm sure there's a clever way to make it go easier
eg. use the same map geometry and find a way to transfer al gameplay entities somehow, before saving it as the mission name...

Wish I could help, I fiddled a bit with the maps before, but I don't have time for such an undertaking at the moment.

Have you considered asking the revision guys? http://www.moddb.com/mods/deus-ex-revision

Last edited:

DaveW

Jul 30, 2008
United Kingdom
Very true, the lighting in some maps could really use some work. The Revision team has probably figured a way around the revisited maps issue (something like you suggested perhaps), though I'd imagine they're too busy to work on this as well given the development time of their own mod.

Foufoune_Rose

ǝsoɹ‾ǝunoɟnoℲ
Well, I'm quite interested by your modification.
I'm a fan of Deus Ex, have replayed it multiple times. I liked DXIW too, on Xbox and pc (amazing lighting system, too bad that the gameplay was wrecked with the console's ideas).

I manipulate Ued with ease since Unreal, and I can show you some work of mine from Unreal to UDK. I'm searching for a project to work on this summer (and I couldn't get into the Duke Nukem Reloaded team ;_; ).
I will have much spare time for myself from June. Even if I'm not implicated to the project, I'd like to give you some help.