[Deus Ex: Human Revolution] Not sure what to think (first gameplay teaser)

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
well, it obviously looks good.
but we knew that already.

I'm still curious how the switching between 1st- and 3rd-person will play out.

also, the part at the end where they dropped in the "transformers" robot immediately reminds me of Ghost in the Shell, which is exactly the sort of atmosphere that I thought Deus Ex was trying to aim for all along. in fact, I've always kinda thought that you could easily substitute the Deus Ex game for a Ghost in the Shell game by simply switching the title. it's got all the hallmarks: international conspiracy, cyber punk, augmented humanoids, etc.

[screenshot]http://www.stomptokyo.com/scott/nerds/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/ghostintheshell012.jpg[/screenshot]

[screenshot]http://thisdistractedglobe.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/03/Ghost%20In%20The%20Shell%20pic3.jpg[/screenshot]

[screenshot]http://www.slashfilm.com/wp/wp-content/images/ghost_in_the_shell_1.jpg[/screenshot]

Last edited:

DarkCrow

ლ(╹◡╹ლ)
Jun 13, 2004
Brasil
[SCREENSHOT]http://forums.beyondunreal.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=101207&stc=1&d=1281728656[/SCREENSHOT]

Attachments

• DeusEx.jpg
    DeusEx.jpg
    889.9 KB · Views: 358

NRG

Master Console Hater
Dec 31, 2005
I know there's a cam footage somewhere of somebody actually playing through both of those levels.

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
I THINK this should still be working. It's 20min of gameplay (controlled by dev). It looks to be EXTREMELY cool playing. I dislike the excessive awesomeness (too easy) of the instakills, but I'm glad I don't have to chase a dude twacking him with baton for two minutes when I had snuck up on him.

I'm actually very excited about this. It seems to be the ideas of DX (which were great) with some actual polish and actually made fun. Oh, and it's freaking gorgeous.

~Jason

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
Hmm, the gameplay actually looks okay. The art design and story still looks retarded as hell though.

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
how do you figure?

besides, we don't know much about the story yet.

As I explained in an earlier thread, Deus Ex takes place in 2052 (or something like that) and NYC looks even ****tier than it does now. This is a prequel that takes place in the 30s or something, and this city looks like its from 300 years ahead of the original. The scifi aspect looks extremely generic as does the setting, a double decker city. Yeah, the story could possibly be good from a technical standpoint, but their choice of generic scifi bullcrap doesn't give that much hope, and them obviously ignoring the setting, spirit, whatever of the original doesn't show much in hope of sticking to the original Deus Ex universe/timeline.

Okay, yeah, Deus Ex doesn't exactly have original scifi either, but it's not outfitted with %100 generic scifi stuff. It's depicted realistically where cities are basically the same, but a little more deteriorated and semi-outfitted with new technology.

Do I even need to explain the art direction? Orange? Seriously?

Last edited:

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
Deus Ex takes place in 2052 (or something like that) and NYC looks even ****tier than it does now. This is a prequel that takes place in the 30s or something, and this city looks like its from 300 years ahead of the original.
well this is something that can't really be fixed. because the first Deus Ex was made way back in the day. the graphics were only capable of so much, and the development team is made up of a lot of new people. I don't see how you would remedy this without making the new game look terrible. it's basically a (backwards) continuity issue.
unfortunately, it's just something you'll simply have to ignore.

blah blah blah, opinions about what looks original and what doesn't.

Do I even need to explain the art direction? Orange? Seriously?
this is all conjecture.
so instead of responding, I'll just ask; what would be your brilliant suggestion as to how they might improve it?

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
this is all conjecture.
so instead of responding, I'll just ask; what would be your brilliant suggestion as to how they might improve it?

Umm, make it like the original Deus Ex? Use a normal and realistic color palette instead of, "hay gaiz lets pick a random color to base everything on so we can look artsy and trendy and appeal to all the hipsters!"

well this is something that can't really be fixed. because the first Deus Ex was made way back in the day. the graphics were only capable of so much, and the development team is made up of a lot of new people. I don't see how you would remedy this without making the new game look terrible. it's basically a (backwards) continuity issue.
unfortunately, it's just something you'll simply have to ignore.

What? Can't really be fixed; made way back in the day; graphics? I'm not talking about graphical quality here, I'm talking about setting. You say, "I don't see how you would remedy this without making the new game look terrible." Are you implying that anything these days that doesn't look hyper-futuristic and surreal makes it look terrible? :con:

Yes, you're right, it's a huge continuity issue. This makes it obvious that they don't give a **** about sticking to the original. Kind of like Fallout 1 and 2 versus Fallout 3. Yes, you can argue F3 is a good game, (I think it's a terrible POS) but that doesn't change the fact that it's not the same franchise, feeling or universe at all.

Last edited:

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
so................ like I asked for the first time; what would you recommend to make it look better?

this is all conjecture.

Umm, make it like the original Deus Ex? Use a normal and realistic color palette instead of, "hay gaiz lets pick a random color to base everything on so we can look artsy and trendy and appeal to all the hipsters!"

Obviously it's all about keeping it true to the original, so that goes for the setting and story too if you want my suggestion on making that stuff better. Otherwise you might as well make a different franchise. Anyways, as Fallout 3 proves, (IMO) if the devs don't have their heart set on making a true sequel/prequel, then it's probably gonna end up not that great.

Last edited:

Mozi

Zer0 as a number
Apr 12, 2002
In the Borderlands..
www.mozidesign.com
Being huge Deus Ex fan (I have the original box at my desk at work, as a reminder of great game design) I am a bit uneasy looking at part 3.

Invisible war was a total slap in the face to Deus Ex fans. I rarely say this but that game was made for console kiddies (back in the original xbox days)... thanks Ion Storm.

This game has a way too many transitions between 1st person combat and 3rd person cinematic sequences. There are some nice nods to the original game but I dunno... watching it, to me at least it does not look like fun as all the cool stuff is out of your control.

Seriously Deus Ex was a masterpiece in game design. Part 2 flushed that down the drain. It's quite possible that the third installment may just throw more stuff out for a "new audience" or may tell the new audience to suck it and make a game comparable to the original.

Last edited:

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
Looks alright, I never played the original Deus Ex games, though I might have to look into them. Are they very good?

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
Honestly, DX3 is easily fitted into the original as by the time DX1 had happened, things are falling apart, whereas DX3 is really at the apex of things before it goes to **** (this game being set 25 years before DX1). The particular art style works exceptionally well with this idea of a civilization gone to excess before a collapse.

And since when did drab become the only idea of "realistic"? The greeks had an exceptionally stylized culture (for those with the cash, obviously) with ridiculously gaudy color schemes and excess of clothing and architecture etc. flourished during the renaissance with excessive decoration. Why does that sort of style being projected into the future=non-realistic? And again, the slip from neo-renaissance to utilitarian makes sense in the DX timeline, as in that span there were plagues, earthquakes and successions throughout the country.

As far as originality, while there is certainly a decent helping of Blade Runner, with its dense citiscapes it is a unique and original deviation in terms of actual aesthetics (BR being more a run-down, ad-centric society). There is certainly no other game that does this style and while there are a FEW movies that have a similar idea, I can't think of a single thing this is really derivative of.

Lastly: I've said it before, Deus Ex was full of interesting ideas that were handled extremely poorly and while I'm not a fan of 3rd person views at all in FPSs (one of my biggest pet peeves, actually), I think this game looks to replicate the massive choice and playstyle variations that the original did, only far far better.

~Jason

edit:
Looks alright, I never played the original Deus Ex games, though I might have to look into them. Are they very good?
They're worth playing, as the DX1 is MASSIVELY important in its originality of playstyle, though since so many games have utilized various concepts far far better since then (in more compartmentalized ways) it may be difficult to force yourself through.

Last edited: