1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Detecting new commands through code

Discussion in 'Programming' started by Unrar, Dec 8, 2001.

1. Unrar

Unrar New Member

Hello:
    I wanted to add a new command to a single player style game.
    For example I want to use a "P" to represent my custom command which is supposed to enable some type of magic.

Basically I wanted to make a new command bind it to a key and be able to capture it in my source.

I was looking at PlayerInput in PlayerPawn.uc but based on the parameter that is passed in it doesn't look like a good place.

My best alternative looks like
    ProcessKeyEvent( int Key, int Action, FLOAT Delta ) but for some reason I can't seem to get it called even when I inherited from the HUD.

Anyway. Before I spend a lot of time going in circles what is the best way of doing this? Should I keep playing with ProcessKeyEvent or is it more convenient to try this a different way.
    Thanks

2. eXoR

eXoR Lead coder

If you are making a mutator, use mutate. For example, if you the name of your command is DoSomeStuff, then add this function Mutate to your mutator:

function Mutate(string MutateString, PlayerPawn Sender)
    {
    if (MutateString ~= "DoSomeStuff")
    DoSomeStuff(); // Your own function where you do your things.

Super.Mutate(MutateString, Sender);
    }

if you are making a gametype, you could consider making a default mutator that is used with it, or you could use exec functions like this:

exec function DoSomeStuff()
    {
    // Your stuff here.
    }

Then, if you are using a mutate function, bind the command to the key using this console command:
    set input <keyname> mutate DoSomeStuff
    or if you are using an exec function:
    set input <keyname> DoSomeStuff

That's all. Hope this clears things up for you,

eXoR.

3. Papapishu

Papapishu 我是康

4. Eater1

Eater1 Coder

Oh, and... I don't think anyone mentioned this: you can also place exec functions in PlayerPawns. This may be better for you since you're making a single player game.

Eater.

5. Wormbo

Wormbo Administrator Staff Member

You can also place exec functions in weapons. Then they are only executed when you have the weapon selected.

6. eXoR

eXoR Lead coder

In my mutator I spawn pickups for players when they spawn, the exec functions are in those pickups. Works fine, altough since my mutie is offline only I don't know if it'll work online.

7. Unrar

Unrar New Member

Thanks Everybody for the information.
    This is great!!!!
    There is so much information on Unreal but it is so hard to filter out what you want. In fact I was unclear on what to research. When I asked the question I didn't even know what I should have been asking.
    Thanks Again. This is all very helpful.