1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

UE3 - UDK Descent clone

Discussion in 'Recruitment' started by TWD, Nov 3, 2009.

1. TWD

TWD Cute and Cuddly

A descent clone is something I've been interested in for a long time. It's one of my favorite games of all time, and I still play it occasionally. I know I'm not the only one. In fact I've seen discussion about making a Descent mod before. It's just that nothing ever came from the talk.

I've actually been quietly working on something a little here and there. I did some coding over the summer doing a few of the simple parts to learn unrealscript, and I'm making a spaceship / pilot as part of a class at school. It's not a whole lot to show right now. I wanted to wait a lot longer before I brought it up. However, some new things have come to my attention, and I now believe that the time to talk about it is now.

Here's the design document that I started on google docs: http://docs.google.com/View?id=dcpmv6ff_6f3ngdghd

Please let me know what you think with your comments and suggestions.

2. NRG

NRG Master Console Hater

EFF YERH! This game was my childhood and is what got me into FPS. I'd love to help, but I don't really know anything about video design aside from gameplay mechanics.

In my opinion, I'd like to see it as true as possible to Descent 1 & 2: All indoors and experimental electronic/metal-ish music. Varying in well lit, pitch-black, spacious and claustrophobic rooms. I know that might feel Doom 3 with jetpacks though.

Personally, I'd be happy with Descent 1+2 with nothing but graphic/sound overhauls.

3. Wormbo

Wormbo Administrator Staff Member

Like D2X-XL?

4. Jefe

Jefe The Dark Rat

5. TWD

TWD Cute and Cuddly

Yup there's still people out there maintaining the original games, and keeping them working. D2X-XL isn't the only project like this out there. If you want to play the old game you should look at some of these projects.

My concept is meant to be more of a spiritual successor. I was always a little disappointed with the space sim direction things went with Descent 3 and Freespace. That's why I want to back towards what made the original so good, and put a heavier emphasis on the first person shooter element. I simply want to expand upon it and add all the great shooter developments that have happened since the original Descent was released. Things like a solid competitive multiplayer, co-op modes, and more inventive weapons.

I also want to take the whole look and feel of the original to a different level. I always got an adrenaline rush playing the original Descent. Especially when I would blow the reactor and the panic sets in. I want to take this dramatic feeling to an extreme. That's why I chose the music I did, and tried to create a darker world with more uncertainty. The environment is the most important character in the game. I want something with grand beautiful environments that make you realize that there's bigger more powerful forces at work out there. A place where you can never totally be at ease.

6. ambershee

ambershee Nimbusfish Rawks

I began designing a Descent style game not all that long ago, although the main issue with creating a modernised game, is that when you incorporate all these newer elements, you're going to start losing what made Descent, Descent. It's just like you mentioned before; Descent 3 is a perfect example of what happened to the formula when you expand on the existing featureset and incorporate elements of newer games.

7. Wormbo

Descent 3 had the same problems people experienced when they played UT2003 for the first time: You get stuck on complex geometry, visual clutter distracts your view. A Descent-specific "problem", if you want to call it that, was that the introduction of outside areas established an up/down direction for the first time in Descent history, with gravity, fixed auto-leveling direction and everything else associated with it. Ok, a weapon like the Bouncing Betty wouldn't make sense in zero-grav environments, but they are useless in most situations anyway.

The Unreal Engine provides features Descent 3's engine didn't have, such as BlockingVolumes to prevent the ship from getting stuck. Kismet makes things easy when it comes to scripting events like "fly along here and a wall opens nearby, releasing some robots, while you are trapped by a forcefield", etc. ;)

8. TWD

TWD Cute and Cuddly

The big reason why I'm deciding to push now is because of the engine. I've had plans in my head until 2004, but it's not until now that I've felt there was a good enough platform to do it on. As you mention Kismet is perfect for the sort of things you'd want to do in maps. You could make a really killer single player game with this platform. I also think that the graphics are finally to where they can do the idea justice. The newer lighting and effects features of the engine are perfect. I think you'll see why as things progress.

I'm working on the next steps, and want to start collaborating with individuals. I'm going to start contacting people directly tomorrow. If you're interested in helping out with the idea at all please let me know so that I can put you on my list.

9. Wormbo

I'd love to help, really! But unfortunately I don't even find enough time for Jailbreak lately. :(

10. Zur

Zur surrealistic mad cow

11. ambershee

ambershee Nimbusfish Rawks

It's what programmers do xD

12. DannyMeister

DannyMeister UT3 Jailbreak Coder

Hey! We need Wormbo! :lol:

I too have had a busy couple months here when I should have been pushing as many new features into Jailbreak as we could before the final round of MSUC.

Back on topic, Descent is awesome! A Descent style game with UE3 sounds great, and now that the UDK is out it wouldn't even be restricted to the UT3 player base.

Edit: Anybody played Shattered Horizon yet? I was wondering if it's no-grav free movement fps style was at all reminiscent of Descent.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2009
  13. TWD

TWD Cute and Cuddly

I totally understand that people are busy. However, that doesn't mean that you can't help out. Right now I'm looking at taking a month or two to develop the concept more with input from other people. I'm not planning on starting serious work on the project until the start of next year (aside from maybe a small proof of concept here and there).

So even if you just have ideas please send me a private message. I want to talk to people 1on1 to help develop the idea further. Also note that I was planning on this being a UDK game. I've known about it for quite some time, but I couldn't tell anyone.

14. RevBillyG

RevBillyG Taking over the world.

<--- Interested :)