1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Demorec Problem

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rdy2bz, May 10, 2009.

1. rdy2bz

rdy2bz New Member

Hi Proasm,

nice work! I'm using your UT2004-Tools for ages on my LAN servers, never had a problem.
    But recently I had to delete your AutoDemorec from the server packages because of a weird problem.

As soon as the match starts, all players are thrown off the server and have to re-connect via the online-connection (lower Tickrate) and the server starts dong this kind of things:
    Code:
    Fixing up ../Textures/AS_FX_TX.utx from 2 to 1
    Fixing up ../Textures/CubeMaps.utx from 2 to 1
    Fixing up ../Textures/XGameShaders.utx from 2 to 1
    Fixing up ../Textures/PlayerSkins.utx from 2 to 1
    Fixing up ../Textures/Shiptech.utx from 2 to 1
    Fixing up ../Textures/UCGeneric.utx from 2 to 1
    Later I noticed the same problem when I start demorec by hand via the UT2Vote59 Admin menu.

So I wonder if this is related to UTVote?
    This happened with UT2Vote57, too, after the server ran perfect for years. I did not change the configurations.

2. ProAsm

ProAsm Active Member

Hi,

What version you running ?
    If not 4.2 then use that rather:
    http://www.proasm.com/files/ut/DemoRecord42.zip

Do not have it as a Serverpackage but as a ServerActor as its a Serverside Only mod.

[Engine.GameEngine]
    ServerActors=DemoRecord42.DemoRecord

Try that.

3. rdy2bz

rdy2bz New Member

In the log-file, this line comes next to the 99 lines with "fixing up ...":
    Code:
    DemoRecord42: Starting DemoRecording for: 36-0807-2124-XGame.InstagibCTF-CTF-Citadel.demo4
    I had it put as ServerActor, not as ServerPackage.

The problem appears when starting the Demorec by hand via UT2Vote Menu. I will try to get more details when this problem occurs. I just wondered if this problem is known yet.

4. Wormbo

Wormbo Administrator Staff Member

I think this "fixing up" is a UT2004 thing related to the fact that the dedicated server uses stripped-down sound and texture packages.

5. ProAsm

ProAsm Active Member

ahhhhhhhh, hang on, this is a different demo recording session.
    The DemoRecord mod records only demos on the server for admin tracking etc.
    The demo recording you speaking of from the UT2Vote menu is the one in the Client or Settings menu and that only does a recording for the client and has nothing to do with the server.
    If this is kicking the player then he needs to check what its clashing with.
    Dumb question but you are running a dedicated server and on a seperate PC at a seperate location ?

Last edited: May 12, 2009
  6. rdy2bz

rdy2bz New Member

Well, I think I was not able to make myself clear:
    I run the dedicated server on a separate PC (Windows, but atm I migrate to a Linux to see if the problem persists) in a LAN environment. A dozen of clients connect to the server through a simple switch. Nothing special there. No firewall, no routing.

I usually administrate the server through the UT2Vote Admin only. Up to the last LAN, everything was fine. I ran DemoRecord and UT2Vote without problems.
    But then the problem occured. I read through the internet and found someone saying this was a DemoRecord problem. So I disabled DemoRecord and tried manually. I logged onto UT2Vote as an admin and started the (hopefully) server side demo record through the UT2Vote admin menu. The same problem.
    The disconnects appear in the moment the match starts. The dedicated server begins to fix up the textures.

The code I posted above is taken out of the server log-file.

Anyway, I only hope this isn't related to UT2Vote. I'd hate to move to another voting&administating tool after years of satisfaction with it.

@Wormbo: hmm, what are the implications of this? Don't I even have a chance to solve my problem? Does this mean, it is independent of UT2Vote?

7. ProAsm

ProAsm Active Member

Ok I misunderstood you.
    If you had no problem for years, now you have a problem, then something has changed.
    You need to find out what has changed.
    Can you post you UT2Vote ini file and server bat file or startup commandline and we can look from there.
    The 'fixing' of the textures I have seen before without UT2Vote or Demorecord running.

8. rdy2bz

rdy2bz New Member

The files are attached.
    Any hint or suggestion that may help is more than welcome.

At least, if you say the fixing appears independent from UT2Vote, I can continue using it. :)

Attached Files:

9. ProAsm

ProAsm Active Member

Just some issues which may or may not effect the game:
    In your UT2Vote59.ini file:

[UT2Vote59.UT2VoteConfigs]
    DefaultGameName=XGame.xDeathMatch

That is wrong and should read the game name and not the game class.
    This is something that changed in 5.5 so that you can have multiple XGame.xDeathMatch's but with different GameNames.
    So in this case it should read:
    DefaultGameName=DeathMatch

The 3 games: Mutant, Last Man Standing and Vehicle CTF I see you have remarked out.
    Dont do that as UT2Vote needs all its 'default' games to be present as it uses them as its base reference.
    Rather just make them HideVote=True if you dont want them shown or people to vote for them.
    Basically you can add games but never remove the default ones.
    Mutators you can remove as you have as thats ok.

Except for messing with bDisDemoRec= I see nothing wrong anywhere else or any reason why you having these problems.

Just a question and dont shoot me down but you not running an AMD server by any chance ?
    I ask because everytime we've had problems with people being kicked like this the problem ends up being the AMD and when switched to an Intel the problem goes away.

10. rdy2bz

rdy2bz New Member

Many thanks for finding the errors. It's hard to see your own errors.

Yes, it is an AMD. Athlon XP Barton, to be exact. Well, maybe I get my hands on an Intel some day to try. Let's see.

11. ProAsm

ProAsm Active Member

ahhhh, do that, try an Intel machine and please report back whatever the result is ;)

12. rdy2bz

rdy2bz New Member

It took me ages, but finally I was able to run it on an Intel P4 (Windows), too.

The "fixing up ... 2 to 1" still is there. So it doesn't depend on AMD/Intel.

13. rdy2bz

rdy2bz New Member

I also was able to test that. I replaced them with the original game sound and textures. The result is, the the fixing up still appears, but now it says "fixing from 1 to 1":
    Code:
    Log: Fixing up ../Textures/Mech_decayed.utx from 1 to 1
    Log: Fixing up ../Textures/AWGlobal.utx from 1 to 1
    Log: Fixing up ../Textures/UCGeneric.utx from 1 to 1
    Log: Fixing up ../Textures/CubeMaps.utx from 1 to 1
    Log: Fixing up ../Textures/XGameShaders.utx from 1 to 1
    and it goes within some milliseconds, to the clients don't loose connection anymore.

Well, it's not a clean solution, but it works, so I consider it as solved.