1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Defence Alliance Moves To Red Orchestra

Discussion in 'News & Articles' started by Sir_Brizz, May 19, 2006.

1. Sir_Brizz

Sir_Brizz Administrator Staff Member

In a surely ironic twist of events, the popular UT2004 mod Defence Alliance has decided to make the move over to the Red Orchestra engine. Red Orchestra, of course, was the winner of the MSUC and received an engine license, which they used to release a standalone version of Red Orchestra on Steam.
    They are also looking for some help on the mod.
    If you think you can be of some help to them, head on over to their page and get in contact with the team.

2. Sir_Brizz

Red Orchestra modding community grows with Defence Alliance

Thursday, 18th May 2006

Tripwire Interactive is excited to announce that the modding community for Red Orchestra is about to take a major step forward. There are already a number of realism mods logged for the game, only a week after the launch of the SDK. These include “Burning Sands: Afrikafeldzug 40-43” and “Campagna Italiana: Road to Rome”, already starting into production. The new addition is the renowned Unreal Tournament 2004 mod “Defence Alliance”, which will now make the move from UT2004 to RO as the first total conversion mod for RO!

As put in more detail by the DA team:

“After years of development and experience using the Unreal Engine tools provided by Unreal Tournament 2004, the Defence Alliance Team is proud to announce a shift in the Defence Alliance universe. Defence Alliance 2.5 will be a completely new experience from what previous versions provided to our trusted players!

With the recent success of Defence Alliance 2 on Unreal Tournament, Defence Alliance 2 version 1.6 will be ported to Red Orchestra. The Unreal Tournament 2004 version will also be updated and it will be the last version which will address all the latest issues that were noted in our last version.

The new version, DA 2.5, will be built entirely for Tripwire’s Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45, using the SDK recently released through Steam. It will introduce a completely new and unique gameplay. While we cannot reveal a lot of information now we can at least tease you by saying that finally FPS meets RTS the way it is supposed to be.

We are currently looking for experienced modelers, 2D artists, level designers and programmers that can help us in our new development cycle. Defence Alliance 2.5 will be available through Steam® and will require Red Orchestra in order to work.”

About Tripwire Interactive

Tripwire Interactive LLC was formed by the team that created the original Red Orchestra, the award-winning mod for Unreal® Tournament 2004, in February 2005. Although the founders and staff of Tripwire have many individual game credits to their names, Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45 is Tripwire’s first independent title. Red Orchestra won Phases II, III and IV and the Grand Finals of the NVIDIA $1,000,000 Make Something Unreal Contest – every phase it was entered in!

For more information on these mods:

Burning Sands: Afrikafeldzug 40-43 - http://www.burningsands.org/

Campagna Italiana: Road to Rome - http://www.campagna-italiana.com/

Defence Alliance 2 - http://www.planetunreal.com/da/2/

3. hal

hal Dictator Staff Member

That's interesting. Is there a bigger potential audience as a mod for the Red Orchestra retail game than UT2004?

4. Hans Oberlander

Hans Oberlander New Member

Meh.. Bad move.

5. Alopexau

Alopexau New Member

If this means it will also be distributed/played through steam, I am going to be VERY angry.

6. Bazzi

Bazzi Wearing pink

Uh, let's say the RO team can make some slight modifications to the engine *cough* that help DA ;)

That'd be a possible reason for switching.

7. Zenny

Zenny I'm gonna steal your girlfriend.

Seems like DA is taking a page out of Urban Terror's playbook. Hopefully they will fare better...

8. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Oh lord.. This was my favorite UT2k4 Mod too.

9. zeep

zeep :(

Good for them. I haven't gotten RO:O yet but i will. I think it's good that mod's are coming out for RO:O. The DA devs are creative and do excellent work. In the end modding here and there is good for experience and will at least make their resume look better. ;)

Good luck to them all.

10. ]-UnderTOW-[

]-UnderTOW-[ -_-

Huh. Didn't see that coming. How popular is RO:O anyway? Is it popular enough to warrant a TC for it? Well, i wish them the best of luck.

BTW, Steam is now a very functional and great online delivery system, no matter how much anti-Steam people try to convice others otherwise

11. Dest

Dest DA Team

hey UnderTow, what are you up to these days?

12. Mætlöaff

Mætlöaff New Member

Well, there's a good amount of people playing RO, and the port would be mostly porting the assets, since all of the UT2k4 code is in the RO engine.

I hope this pans out well for them and any other mod that jumps ship. I think it's probably not *quite* as popular as UT2k4, but RO has a strong fan base and there's enough potential new players. That, coupled with the fact that it's a newer, more capable unreal engine build that they would have indirect access to makes it easy to see why they switched.

Good for them.

13. dub

dub

I'm so confused... RO engine? Is'nt RO running on the UT 2004 engine?

14. Sir_Brizz

RO is now running on UE2.5 and it actually has many visual effects that UT2004 doesn't support.

15. DA|aBsOlUt

DA|aBsOlUt DA GOD

Guys, thanks for all the comments. The 1.6 version will be available for both UT2004 and Red Orschestra. Patch form in UT2k4 and a full version with retextured maps and visual enhancements (thanks to UE2.5) for RO.

We have met and know the people at RO, excellent people and we believe this is the best move to do currently. We hope DA 2.5 will be a great project.

Thanks!

16. Wilsonam

Wilsonam Tripwire Interactive: Designer/CFO

Well, we think it is a good move for all concerned (we would!).

We can give the DA team close support - as well as the other mods around. Epic will be happy as it is all Unreal engine work (and Unreal licences).

As for Steam - well, it will give the DA team visibility with 2.5 million users per week. And if you don't want to pick it up through Steam, there will be other ways to get it too!

17. RichyB

RichyB Faceless

From what I have read and seen I say it’s a great move. I look forward to the new version of DA, good luck guys.;)

18. dub

dub

I see. But to be pernickety, it's not the Red Orchestra engine but the 2.5 UE, then :p

Makes it sound like RO created an entire engine.

19. Sir_Brizz

Well, it's the Red Orchestra specific version of UE 2.5, I can't say it's on the UE2.5 engine, because it's not. It's on Red ORchestra, which is on UE2.5 :)

20. ]-UnderTOW-[

]-UnderTOW-[ -_-

By that logic, would you refer to the HL1 engine as simply the Quake 1 engine? :p

Same ol'. Finally coming to an end on our current project at work.