Defence Alliance FilePlanet Exclusive

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

zeep

:(
Feb 16, 2001
Visit site
Fileplanet only offers to post news and host servers if the mod is theirs exclusive right?

So what if the DA crew wants to make use of that? They're not saying BU isn't good enough, they're just trying some other route jeez.

It's not that they doubt the BU community, they're trying to get more people to play the mod thats all. I'm sure they all still love and respect BU.

Anxious to see your mod guys, good luck.

Caravaggio

Custom User Text goes here.
Oct 2, 2002
US
Visit site
Blah blah blah, no offense to the team but I probably was going to forget to try it for a week after it's released anyway, that's how I am with mods. Not playing it for a few days won't kill you, any given UT game usually gets delayed by entire months after it's initial release date.

Manticore

Official BUF Angel of Death (also Birthdays)
Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Optimum Trajectory-Circus of Values
->->->->->->->->->->->->

JaFO said:
I just hope the team does realise that the kind of public they will attract with the exclusive does not have the kind of patience for bugs, unbalanced gameplay and missing features that real fans have. So releasing a beta to these guys (and girls) is going to do more harm than good.
Generally I would say that this is a "Here we go again" FP/VP thread but the above quote actually makes a hell of a lot of sense...........
DA|aBsOlUt said:
Guys, please this will not turn into a flame thread. Lets put some facts down, UT2004 community does not have a good reputation of playing mods even though most of them (mods) are super high quality and great gameplay - look at RO.

A week more to wait will do nothing to the rest of the public and will hopefully attract more people to play our mod that we worked hard.

So please dont turn this into a flame thread. Patience and thank you.
One of the only facts that comes up regularly when FP gets mentioned is RO. I would like to know where you sourced the facts about the UT community not liking mods. Personally my experience of this community's reaction to MSUC makes me think otherwise.

This happens every time. RO has its merits but it seems every time there is a FP release it ends up being a thread about how RO is a great excuse for using FP.

This mod isn't RO.

I wouldn't be downloading anything from Vileplanet myself, and there is a difference between flaming and having an opinion....

Last edited:

DA|aBsOlUt

DA GOD
Oct 24, 2001
www.planetunreal.com
I would like to know where you sourced the facts about the UT community not liking mods.

If you read my post carefully again you will notice that I did not use the verb 'like', instead the verb 'play'. A fan might 'like' a mod but will not 'play' it because there are no servers/players online - quite common in UT200x mods.

Now to reply where I got the info/facts about this...Numbers dont lie and all I know is that other MODs in HL/HL2 get higher publicity rather than an ultra-high quality - both in gameplay and graphics - mod such as RO.

http://www.gamespy.com/stats - A good (not the best) source to see some stats.

Thanks for your reply and your opinion.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2003
Australia
Man, it's surprising with the level of intelligence demonstrated here with the common poster. Wait, not it isn't. You people just seem to bitch for the sake of bitching.

The FP exclusive is JUST for 1 freaking week and is not only for paying subscribers only. You people that complain about FP, when was the last time you acctually used it? I prefer not to use it, but when i have to, i have no problems. Sometimes wait a few minutes, do something else, then download. They have improved their system a lot. Boycotting a mod simply because they want to advertise to an external crowd. Knock off this holier than thou bull**** and grow up.

Manticore

Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
]-UnderTOW-[ said:
Man, it's surprising with the level of intelligence demonstrated here with the common poster. Wait, not it isn't. You people just seem to bitch for the sake of bitching.

The FP exclusive is JUST for 1 freaking week and is not only for paying subscribers only. You people that complain about FP, when was the last time you acctually used it? I prefer not to use it, but when i have to, i have no problems. Sometimes wait a few minutes, do something else, then download. They have improved their system a lot. Boycotting a mod simply because they want to advertise to an external crowd. Knock off this holier than thou bull**** and grow up.
Thanks for the flames. The last time I was directed to FP was last night and I was looking for patches for an old (non Unreal) game. Although I have a (free) subscription I chose not to use it as I didn't feel like waiting and being bombarded by adds while using a download manager that is proprietory and taking up my precious hard disk space.

Some other people here said they may boycott the mod but an equal number said that they wouldn't download it from FP but would wait the week. So thanks for the broad generalisation. Next time read the posts before you comment about other peoples' levels of intelligence.
hal said:
Yes, considerably, but that's okay. :) We've always served up more Unreal files than even sites like FilePlanet, but it all gets back to the original point of wanting to reach an audience other than the core Unreal Tournament audience. I understand that.

There are lots of angles to this, and the mod team can hardly be faulted for trying to do what it believes will benefit its effort the most. Sure, it puts off some fans and it would be nice for mod teams to think of the Unreal news sites that work very hard to promote the modification while places like FilePlanet sit silent. But the bottom line is that some mod teams feel like the hardcore Unreal gamer isn't supporting them by trying out their mod.

In an ideal world, news sites and mod teams would support one another because of the undeniably large numbers of hardcore Unreal players who played modifications. The reality is that some mods appeal to gamers who have Unreal* lying about somewhere in their PC and aren't really involved in the day to day happenings of the community.

I wonder then, is mod news worth reporting to Unreal fans?
Perhaps the question is: "When should BU report on these mod releases?"

Maybe when they are released to the general public and not to subscribers/registered users of certain sites which advocate exclusivity.

If it wasn't for BU I wouldn't know about 99% of the Unreal modding that goes on. In my experience other Unreal sights don't handle as much mod news as this one. Personally I don't have the time to go through all my mod site bookmarks regularly to see who is releasing what.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2002
Denver Co. USA
Visit site
Manticore said:
Thanks for the flames. The last time I was directed to FP was last night and I was looking for patches for an old (non Unreal) game. Although I have a (free) subscription I chose not to use it as I didn't feel like waiting and being bombarded by adds while using a download manager that is proprietory and taking up my precious hard disk space.

You don't need their download manager to download from FP.
Though, the waiting and ads are lame.

I get those on FileFront too though, and many other download spots.
________
Washington medical marijuana

Last edited:

Mad Max RW

Road Warrior
Nov 13, 2003
www.duckandcover.net
Manticore said:
If it wasn't for BU I wouldn't know about 99% of the Unreal modding that goes on. In my experience other Unreal sights don't handle as much mod news as this one. Personally I don't have the time to go through all my mod site bookmarks regularly to see who is releasing what.

Seconded. This is by far the top Unreal site out there, and I make a point to check it at least once a day. BU is the central hub of the community. Not the Atari forums, or the many file depository sites like UT2004HQ, or the cookie cutter copy and paste news Gamespy sites. Everyone should be incredibly thankful a site like this, which also provides many fast (and FREE) downloads, constant updates, and a wide scope of coverage, even exists. So many administrators of other sites, past and present, would have told exclusive chasers to get ****ed.

Manticore

Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Plumb_Drumb said:
I understand that but they will still pimp it and you will still have to put up with pages of convoluted navigation and waiting and being saturation bombed with adds to the point where I, at least, think it's all too much trouble and my time is being wasted...

RichyB

Faceless
Jun 17, 2005
United Kingdom
Plumb_Drumb said:
Though, the waiting and ads are lame.

I get those on FileFront too though, and many other download spots.
FileFront is by far the best download site around and when i download from FF i dont even notice the adds, maybe there not there.:)

Gnome

The Gnome that knows
Feb 23, 2003
Indianapolis
wormhole.tauniverse.com
I personally prefer fileplanet to filefront... filefront requires about 18 times more effort with all the clicking through the various pages, and it has a TON more ads and popup attempts (they get blocked, but it's still the principle) to wade through. And I've had several occurances where I lost connection to filefront mid-download for no reason, even with a download manager. Sure you don't have to sign up or wait in line frequently on filefront... but that doesn't make up for the crap you don't have to put up with (as much) on fileplanet.

That said, I can't blame the DA guys for doing an exclusive. Why not get your mod plastered on the front page on one of the largest gaming sites around for free? I'd say the number of people who refuse to play the mod ever because of this move is less than the number who would never play because they didn't know about it, so just go for it. If you really hate fileplanet that much, just wait the damn week.

Jul 26, 2003
Australia
Manticore said:
I understand that but they will still pimp it and you will still have to put up with pages of convoluted navigation and waiting and being saturation bombed with adds to the point where I, at least, think it's all too much trouble and my time is being wasted...

What ads? You mean the unobtrusive ads off to the side that i just completely ignore. I'd hardly call that saturation bombing. I don't get any pop ups and i don't get any seperate ad pages inbetween links that gamespy.com has. Fileplanet used to be good, then it turned to ****, now it's ok. It's not as bad as it used to be and once you've gone through the process once, it's pretty easy and straight forward. Their servers also fast and more reliable than some of the other sites.

dub

Feb 12, 2002
I don't understand exclusives, even though I feel Hal's post is most to the point.
If the argument is that through file planet, you reach a large(r) audience, why not host it on FilePlanet and other sites?
Surely that way you would reach even more people and make both sides happy.
UNLESS of course you can only host your files on FilePlanet if you make it exlusive to them, in which case F' FilePlanet :)

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
|dub| said:
UNLESS of course you can only host your files on FilePlanet if you make it exlusive to them :)

That's part of the deal, as I understand it - there's a window of exclusivity. FilePlanet uses its front page to promote files that are exclusive to them to promote the value of being a member.