1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

decrease ping with less graphics???

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by DialAJunk, Feb 21, 2002.

1. DialAJunk

DialAJunk fl;ksisj

Does reducing the texture quality, dynamic lighting, etc, etc. decrease ping times?? I am starting to play online again and want the smallest ping time I can get. I usually get 140-200 with all effects as high as it can go, except I use no detail textures.

I know I will have to try this but, in general, does it help?

Thanks in advance :)

2. Rukee

Rukee Coffee overclocks the overclocker!!

I was going to reply....but then I looked at your avitar and thought...well...**** you!

3. Rukee

lower ping by lowering detail??......I don`t have a clue....but have had people tell me running in a window increased there ping....how I have no idea..:rolleyes:

4. DialAJunk

DialAJunk fl;ksisj

Alright cool.
    THanks.

and don't forget......
    <-------- :p

5. -Penfold-

-Penfold- New Member

I'm not sure that reducing the graphics will improve your ping too much (in this case). I think that's more a function of how busy the net is, how fast the server is, and how far the data has to go.
    (though I'm no MCSE, so I could be completly wrong)

But, hey, framerates are important in single- and multiplayer, so why not. And it certainly won't raise your ping.

I, personally, prefer high frame rates over pretty graphics. The ol' PII 400MHz w/ Voodoo3 needs ever frame it can get, so the graphics are near the lowest settings, and running at 640x480. Near the same settings on my P4 1.4GHz Gf2 MX400, but that's because it is typically the host computer in LAN games, and the hosts framerate has a much higher affect on ping. (as I've noticed when slower computers host ping gets worse)

I guess I'll stop rambling and get to my point: if you want to squeak out every last frame per second, check out 3DSpotlight's Unreal Tournament Tweak Guide

Oh, and if you can't get into advanced settings because UT crashes whenever you try, simply run UT in 'safe mode', and try again.

6. DialAJunk

DialAJunk fl;ksisj

I didn't know that. I thought it was all the pipe of the host, but it makes sense since the computer would have to calculate all the players on board and such. I asked my previous question on a different forum and they stated that only positional data and identifation of brushes and players are sent through the pipe, not graphic quality. Makes sense... why would a server need to know how well connected computers graphics settings are? That would just add too much load.

7. Rabid Wolf

Rabid Wolf Piano Man Ghost

you might suffer higher % of packet loss, but not higher ping.

8. -Penfold-

-Penfold- New Member

I think the only affect on ping it had would be the difference in time of each generated frame.

okay, now I think a ping of 1,000 means a delay of 1 second which would make 1 ping a millisecond.

Meaning if you increased framerate from say 25 frames per second (or 40 milliseconds per frame) to 50 frames per second (20 milliseconds per frame), that would cut the time your computer holds the info until it sends the info by 20 milliseconds, reducing a 140-200 ping to 120-180 ping (given everything else stays the same) (~10% performance increase)

Of course, if you've got 50 FPS right now and increase it to 75 FPS by dropping graphic quality you only decrease ping by about 7. (~3% performance increase).

And 75 FPS -> 100 FPS means a reduction of only 3 ping.

Where, if you're on a LAN with say a ping of 40 at 25 FPS, the difference in ping is much greater (percentage wise)

A 20 ping reduction now means cutting the ping in half, on the client computer. The same situations on a host computer would result in cutting the ping in half for all computers (well, those that were running at 40 ping with the host at 25 FPS). This is why, when hosting, I drop graphics to reduce ping, reduce any host computer advantage, and increase the entire networks performance.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2002
  9. SpiritWalker

SpiritWalker Tattooed Beat Messiah / Prime Mover

I understood that..but know my head hurts:mad:

10. DialAJunk

DialAJunk fl;ksisj

Hmmm, Penfold seems to have a different view than others I have talked to. I will reduce graphic quality and see if it helps, even though I hate the way UT looks with low quality textures and such.

Oh well, not much I can do about the current state of the internet, but I hope UT2's online code is more optimized for quicker transactions.

11. -Penfold-

-Penfold- New Member

Well, I was just saying "ya, it will help a bit, but not much."

There's more of an arguement for higher framerate affecting gameplay than there is for it affecting ping, at 140-200 ping.

(I rarely play online because playing on LAN games makes high ping that much more frustrating)

So, if your framerate is high enough for play, use some of the graphics settings. But still consider the tweaking guide. Reflections or "ShinySurfaces" as it's called is a good one to disable. Dynamic lighting can really slow things down, depending on the situation (especially in openGL). Detail textures (a second texture superimposed on close walls) is also a good one to disable for older video cards. On many cards, there is little performance difference between low and medium textures, so don't bother with low. High can slow things down, though.

If your running at 25 FPS, doubling your framerate may slightly (10% isn't very noticable) affect your ping. But it'll more improve your gameplay itself. So if you're framerate is low, drop graphics levels for the framerate, not for the ping. If your framerate is already high, then increasing it will do very little to affect ping, so why dump graphics?

It's mostly a non issue (with ping), unless your talking about a host computer that isn't "dedicated".

Last edited: Feb 23, 2002
  12. DialAJunk

DialAJunk fl;ksisj

gotcha.

13. digital-warrior

digital-warrior Awake...

Actually, being on a 56k myself, it's very important to me to try and get my ping down as low as it will go. I sometimes reduce image quality to the lowest, cut dynamic lighting, cut edge smoothing, reducing what I have on my HUD, and lots of other things, including sound.
    Kinda made the game not fun anymore, especially when you cant tell what team your on or what teammate is who cause everything looks the same.
    I have played UT minimized and it dropped my ping from 450 - 200 before. I think it has a lot to do with how hard your video card is having to work, and if it uses the computers memory or its own. The less amount of memory your using while playing online the better. Most of these things also bring framerate up also, which helps make online play much smoother, instead of being choppy.
    Minimizing makes UT online choppy, but at a lower ping.

I have (for now) an old voodoo2 card that royally sux, and the above explanation is the only one I can come up with.

14. -Penfold-

-Penfold- New Member

Dropping from a 450 ping to a 200 ping is a difference of 250 ping or quarter second.

I don't know why playing UT minimized would help ping much, unless it was running maximized at 3-4 frames per second. But you said it ran at a higher FPS maximized. Do you you use a recent DirectX? Maybe the old Voodoo2 drivers have issues with the newer DirectX and increases ping somehow. By dropping out of full frame, perhaps your primary card (weren't all Voodoo2's auxilary 3D cards that could only run full screen?) taking over runs better with DirectX and increases ping...

Otherwise, it doesn't make sense that a lower framerate would lower ping. Unless it was just coincedence--that the ping was lowered because of other reasons not dealing with your computer.

15. DialAJunk

DialAJunk fl;ksisj

Well, I know that if a person is using a 56k dial up modem and it is a Win modem, (meaning it is using resources other than its own to connect, namely Windows, which in turn uses paging files RAM, and such), then decreasing graphics can help connection speed.

But I am on a stand alone modem (DSL). I have been playing more, and found better pings, they are just hard to find.

I was on a Instagib server, with too many people (about 15-20 on a reg. UT rotation), and everyone had a ping of about 180-200, there was a 2 second lag on shots fired. It was insane fun (i think the lag makes it even more insane in that particular situation) but I am just saying I don't think the ping always calculates into seconds. (that last part was for -Penfold-):)

16. digital-warrior

digital-warrior Awake...

I have 2 video cards, an ATI rage pro agp, and a VooDoo2 graphics accelerator, neither of which are compatable with Direct X 8 or above. If i'm not mistaken, I remember seeing in the UT log that Glide shuts down when I minimized. But, the screen becomes so choppy(low fps) that the game is almost unplayable...

17. Rabid Wolf

Rabid Wolf Piano Man Ghost

you must be the goddamn 1337est player ever!

18. Rukee

really!!
    I can`t see anything when it`s minimized down there in the tool bar!! :rolleyes: :p

19. -Penfold-

-Penfold- New Member

Ping does calculate into seconds. The hole point of ping is to determine delay. Thus it's necessary for the element of time to be part of the factor. Ping is measured in either milliseconds (thousandths of a second) or microseconds (ten-thousandths of a second) If it were microseconds 200 ping would be 1/50th of a second. I think it's safe to assume 200 ping (as rated in UT) is more like 1/5 second, meaning the ping is measured in milliseconds.

20. digital-warrior

digital-warrior Awake...

Ok, for those of YOU who do not understand......

I didnt mean minimized into the friggin toolbar......I meant minimized into a window......

Besides, Rukee has played me before, and he can tell you that the way I play UT, it may as well be in the Tool Bar.....