Decompiling .u files from America's Army.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

[W]General

Jun 9, 2004
Today I tried to open a .u file from the game America's Army in UnrealEd 3.0 that came with UT2004 when I installed it. So I open UnrealEd 3.0 and click the button that says when you hover over it, "Actor Classes Browser". When that is open I go up to "Open" and pick one of the .u files. Then it comes up with some sort of critical error and closes the editor. I went to http://www.planetunreal.com/gamebots/uscript2.html and read around. I'm new to this. That link there said for me to do what I did, but then an error came up. Is this because UnrealEd 3.0 is in the UT2004 folder and is associated more with UT2004? I've spent the last 5 hours looking around for stuff to help me. The reason I would like to edit the .u files in America's Army is because that some console commands are disabled during different types of play. I also hope to find new console commands that aren't known to the public within' these files for personal use. For instance, in single player any console command may be used, but in multiplayer only certain ones are allowed. I would like to somehow edit one of the .u files responsible for this and allow all console commands to be allowed on multiplayer so players may spawn objects together instead of doing it on single player. I would really like to get someone to help me because this would be amazing for the America's Army community. Thank you!! :D

BinarySystem

Banned
Jun 10, 2004
A lot of cheating would be possible if those console commands were available in multiplayer. As you may (or maybe not) know, the US Army has gone to great lengths to prevent cheating on their game, because they have invested money in it as a recruiting tool, and they don't want it to get a bad reputation. One of the things they have done to protect against cheating is disabling many console commands.

They also appear to have altered the package file layout somewhat which prevents it from being opened by publicly available software. I would speculate that this is to prevent people from finding a way to cheat through script. I don't believe that the US Army has any interest in any type of game mods for America's Army.