Decent FPS

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Spiney

Jun 12, 2010
Class based and limited loadout based shooters bore me to no end. Add in crippled mobility and we're done.

I've been playing through the Id catalogue again. Or replaying Deus Ex for the 50th time.
Playing Quake with Darkplaces is pretty fun.

However, if you want a blast playing online I'dd suggest checking out TREMULOUS.
It's an uber generic looking, but criminally underrated FOSS game.
It's gameplay is loosely based on Gloom for Q2, featuring a unique blend of RTS base building and FPS action, with two completely assymetric factions.
The learning curve is pretty steep, but I'dd place this in my top 3 of favourite multiplayer games of all time.
some videos:
http://youtu.be/qLYSpXTLNIk
http://youtu.be/d-fMBBgA7LE

There's also WARSOW, if you like Quakeworld trickjumping on crack. I'dd rather play Quake 3 to be honest, but if you're looking for a shooter with freedom of movement, this is it.

XONOTIC the open source fork of NEXUIZ plays in a similair vain. It's a bit like a blend between Q3 and UT, but with a different feel than either.

RED ECLIPSE is based on Sauerbraten, it's a bit floaty and butterfaced for my liking, not unlike Sauerbraten.

URBAN TERROR is a counterterrorist shooter, like CS, but with plenty emphasis on freedom of movement. I'm not usually into semi tactical stuff, but this is okay.

The Tribes games are free, Quake Live is a polished Q3, The Serious Sam HD versions are pretty good. Though I've grown a bit tired of Serious Sam personally.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2004
Everytime i play Warsow it's barely got any players online. Not really worth it playing with like 5 or less players. I played quake live last night, first time in 3 months. First game was 15-5. Why do i bother playing CA on skill match? but still enough players in pubs to get into training yourself to be better. You'll never be pro at quake, though. Those young guys have superb reflexes.

Hey Spiney, are any of those games active? or all too tiny populated server and not worth it? i'd rather play a game that has 20-30 players in it if it's small instead of being owned by the same 5 guys every day.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Homefront was okay-ish until they sort of stopped supporting it once the team has vanished from the studio. Right now it's so easy to make my team win pretty much any game by base-raping the other team with tanks or drones.

Modern Warfare 2 still has a few players, but it's likely that it will have more cheater than the usual especially considering how long the game has been released, it's likely that there barely any support for it anymore.

Section 8 Prejudice for 15$, probably the most frustrating shooter I've played lately considering people are already experienced and play in squad with friends. You may be interested in that if you're looking for a FPS to play with friends and don't mind the fact that it takes many bullets to kill high speed targets, 1v2 scenarios are unlikely a win for the lone player.

EDIT: Now that I see the "kantham is mad at teamwork" tag, I guess you can say that. I'd rather have random teams than play with a random team against a bunch of people over ventrillo. Just saying. It's fair to put the organized teams against other organized teams.

Last edited:

DarQraven

Jan 20, 2008
Homefront was okay-ish until they sort of stopped supporting it once the team has vanished from the studio. Right now it's so easy to make my team win pretty much any game by base-raping the other team with tanks or drones.

Modern Warfare 2 still has a few players, but it's likely that it will have more cheater than the usual especially considering how long the game has been released, it's likely that there barely any support for it anymore.

Section 8 Prejudice for 15$, probably the most frustrating shooter I've played lately considering people are already experienced and play in squad with friends. You may be interested in that if you're looking for a FPS to play with friends and don't mind the fact that it takes many bullets to kill high speed targets, 1v2 scenarios are unlikely a win for the lone player.

EDIT: Now that I see the "kantham is mad at teamwork" tag, I guess you can say that. I'd rather have random teams than play with a random team against a bunch of people over ventrillo. Just saying. It's fair to put the organized teams against other organized teams.

Gotta love FPS pub servers.

Anyway, the only FPS I play a lot anymore are BF: BC2 and Quake Live.
BC2 when I just want to mess around and have fun with some friends or squad up with random players. Quake when I feel awake as fuck and I'm in for some high-adrenaline action.

I've dabbled around in Warsow, but seeing as my main gametypes are Duel/CTF and those tends to turn into a race/trials map more than anything in Warsow, Quake 3/Live fills that need a lot better for me. Quake CTF doesn't have the charm of UT's, but it's still really good.
Instagib clan arena is pretty exceptional in WsW, though. That alone is worth downloading the game for.

Then again, the reason I mostly stopped playing FPS seriously is my friends. Most of them are terribly hardcore and we'd be on even footing for maybe the first 2 weeks of owning a game. After that I'd be playing on a different level while they're still pubbing it up and doing versus is out of the question.
There's only so many times you can squad up and pubstomp a server before it gets boring.

DarQraven

Jan 20, 2008
Everytime i play Warsow it's barely got any players online. Not really worth it playing with like 5 or less players. I played quake live last night, first time in 3 months. First game was 15-5. Why do i bother playing CA on skill match? but still enough players in pubs to get into training yourself to be better. You'll never be pro at quake, though. Those young guys have superb reflexes.

Hey Spiney, are any of those games active? or all too tiny populated server and not worth it? i'd rather play a game that has 20-30 players in it if it's small instead of being owned by the same 5 guys every day.

I find it hard to believe that the age of the players is the deciding factor here. Typically, your reflexes don't start to diminish until past 30. Even then, only if you don't regularly do stuff that hones them again. That aside, reflex speed isn't typically the deciding factor in Quake, unless you're doing rail vs rail fights. Steady aim (LG god mode) and good prediction/map control are WAY more decisive.

It's mostly the fact that they're still in school and can dedicate 90% of their day to playing a game. Also, there's a lot of people that have been playing Quake 3 or variants of it for nearly a decade now. Those people will beat you, period.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2004
I find it hard to believe that the age of the players is the deciding factor here. Typically, your reflexes don't start to diminish until past 30. Even then, only if you don't regularly do stuff that hones them again. That aside, reflex speed isn't typically the deciding factor in Quake, unless you're doing rail vs rail fights. Steady aim (LG god mode) and good prediction/map control are WAY more decisive.

It's mostly the fact that they're still in school and can dedicate 90% of their day to playing a game. Also, there's a lot of people that have been playing Quake 3 or variants of it for nearly a decade now. Those people will beat you, period.

That doesn't work for everyone, i swear i have reflexes of an old man and i'm only 26 (by 30 i'll probably be so bad i should just quit gaming lol). Also if they have been playing since early quake days then it wont matter much because of expierience, but you wont be pro if you're just jumping in at say my age.

Fuzzle

spam noob
Jan 29, 2006
Norway
heh it's actually why I sorta prefer soul calibur over street fighter. The moves are a bit more deliberate, where as in SF you need to be able to change your plan in the span of a few frames.

Someone needs to make a cerebral, slow fighter. Tactical/strategy fighter! I suppose that's toribash, but that one's mostly a curiosity/novelty thing.

DarQraven

Jan 20, 2008
No, but jumping in at their age won't instantly make them pro either. That's my point. It's practice and dedication that makes them beat you, not age. Give a 14 year old one single game to play for 6 hours a day and he will be good at it.

Mar 6, 2004
No, but jumping in at their age won't instantly make them pro either. That's my point. It's practice and dedication that makes them beat you, not age. Give a 14 year old one single game to play for 6 hours a day and he will be good at it.

I wish i started when i was younger. I got into my first online FPS at 18 (Unreal 2 XMP), then i pretty much left it for cod4 and been playing cod4 since, with just a tiny bit of games here and there.

Mar 6, 2004
I have no excuse :( I've been fpsing since wolf3d and doom and I'm still a scrub.

See avatar.

Excuses are just barriers you give yourself to tell you why you are where you are. I hate them so much, but i am a hypocrite and live off them. Although if it's like 2AM and you can barely keep your eyes open or stay focused, then you can use that excuse card if you want.

DarQraven

Jan 20, 2008
Nah, excuses are perfectly fine as long as they're true.

For instance, I'm a pretty mediocre SC2 player, only gold leage ATM.
Now, I could give the excuse that I don't play nearly enough to get to diamond or higher.

However .. there's truth in that. It's not saying that I *would* be in diamond if I played that much, just that even if I had the talent, my measly ~3 games per week won't ever get me there.

It's an excuse, and it's valid. The only time when excuses are bad are when they contradict an aspiration of yours. If I had a serious goal to become a Grandmasters player, then I should not have an excuse not to be there.

/misplaced philosophy discussion

Kyllian

if (Driver == Bot.Pawn); bGTFO=True;
Aug 24, 2002
kyllian.deviantart.com
When the hell did you pick up S8P? Don't think I've ever caught you ingame
But yea, it can be a challenge to go up against the higher-leveled players since once you hit lvl85 you get 6 upgrade slots and 14 passives

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
I played at launch, I figured it wasn't my type. Still had the value for campaign and exploring some game mechanics, I guess.
I mostly prefer games where 2-7 bullets, it's generally dead.

Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
Kantham:
I mostly prefer games where 2-7 bullets, it's generally dead.

This boils it down to what I'm looking for.

Hit a player a few times, dead.

It's why I hate TF2, I hate chewing away at a player with nothing happening.

Last edited:

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
Not so sure about that, caught how the kits were tweaked and it seems BC2's Medic/Assault classes will have their weapons switched
Supposedly Assaults will have ammo boxes and LMGs while "Medics" get the assault rifles but can swap out the medic box for an underslung grenade launcher
The last time I played BC2 tells me that there's going to be even less medicing in BF3

You're kidding right? BF3 classes make a ton more sense than BC2 classes. Sniper+C4 is still "wtf" though.

Also there's nothing anywhere showing how the multiplayer gameplay will pan out. The class layout and team sizes and even the "Battlefield 3" name all suggest that it will be more like BF2 than BC2, which is a major good point and points to there being a lot more medicing than BC2. There will probably also be a lot more repairing and supplying than BC2 too. All around everything mostly looks to be going in the right direction, at least better than BC2, which was a slap in BF2's face. :lol:

If you say all that because you don't like class based gameplay though, that's a different thing and completely understandable. :)

Last edited:

Kyllian

if (Driver == Bot.Pawn); bGTFO=True;
Aug 24, 2002
kyllian.deviantart.com
I don't know what BF3 gameplay will be like, but I know how a bulk of random pubbers will be like, and they'll pick the M203 over a medbox

As for class based gameplay, some are irritating as hell, others aren't
TF2 I can't stand, MNC I like

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
I don't know what BF3 gameplay will be like, but I know how a bulk of random pubbers will be like, and they'll pick the M203 over a medbox

You didn't play BF2 then, did you?

There was a separate medic class, all they got was a med kit and basic assault rifle. Not even frag grenades. It was played a ton, had a good advantage and kind of abusable. (healing yourself)

I just realized that BC2 had regen life and BF3 might too. In that case you MIGHT be onto something there.

I hope to god it doesn't. I should go play BF2 and pray there is no regen in BF3.

Edit: Okay, I think regen life is confirmed for BF3. I guess I'll just have to pray it's balanced good and takes a while to regen. I'm betting the medic will still be a good class to play though, they have revive and can heal fast, good way to get points.

Last edited:

NRG

Master Console Hater
Dec 31, 2005
I hope to god it doesn't. I should go play BF2 and pray there is no regen in BF3.

Edit: Okay, I think regen life is confirmed for BF3. I guess I'll just have to pray it's balanced good and takes a while to regen. I'm betting the medic will still be a good class to play though, they have revive and can heal fast, good way to get points.
The trailer from E3 had percentage for health, so most people are hoping that means regen is out. (Could just be because it's a beta too though) Your health only regenerates so far in BC2, you still need a health pack to get back to full health.

-Jes-

Tastefully Barking
Jan 17, 2005
DM-HyperBlast
I've got several hours in the game. Haven't earned a single extra gun, achievement, or anything. Yes, I suck at it. And,yes, I never really followed the craze with getting the achievements.

Just STARTING the game every 2 hours gets you a new item.