DDay and MountainPass

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

mat69

just fooling around
Dec 9, 2001
Österreich
www.combatmaps.de
I present you two new maps by Cpl.Shepard.

Update:
On August 23th 10:00 AM (MET) I've changed those ZIP-Files
Please download the newer version.

The Mapper changed the Skybox and reskinned the cave, house and the bunker.

The first is called MountainPass:

Originaly from CM.de:
"This map is set in a circular and deep mountain valley. The main focus while making this map clearly layed on the gameplay as the map is not that beautiful: the map looks quite blocky. Despite this gameplay is very well. You can find cover everywhere and it ranges from bunkers and ruins to a lot of trees. Over all this might not be the most beautiful map but gameplay could be very interesting!"

This map is for the sniper in you, people who liked Vietnam will maybe also like this one, only that it is smaller and in a snow-area. Especially to be "the king of the hill" first seems interesting. With this I mean if you're on top of the hill you have a perfect sniping possision.

Important:Simply download both zip-files, rename them (remove the ".zip") and then run the EXE file, now you only have to choose a place to unzip the map.
I had to use RAR because otherwise I could not have splitt the map (500kb upload limit). It is a selfextracting rar so you do not need to have WinRAR or similar programs.

PS.: You now may ask, why I did not posted a link to the download at CM.de. This is caused by a ****ing page also hosted by our hoster which uses all time the download-limit. Don't know how and why, but it is so. The admin told us that he'll solve this problem soon. But hell we know exactly what soon means, two years teach someone lot.
PPS.: Thank you Jaymian and Zirb for your E-Mails! Feedback isn't only important for a mapper, and if it's only a message, that the map isn't downloadable, this is also important.

Attachments

• mountainpass-1.jpg
    mountainpass-1.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 60
  • mountainpass-2.jpg
    mountainpass-2.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 51
  • mountainpass3.JPG
    mountainpass3.JPG
    308.5 KB · Views: 48
  • DM-INF-MountainPass.part1.exe.zip
    459 KB · Views: 57
  • DM-INF-MountainPass.part2.rar.zip
    286.8 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:

mat69

just fooling around
Dec 9, 2001
Österreich
www.combatmaps.de
DDay

The second is called DDay:

Original from CM.de:
"This map is set at the famous D-Day and includes a small beach and a quite long valley behind it. There are a lot of bunkers and trenches to offer cover. Unfortunatelly the map looks very blocky and undetailed."

Yeah this map is undetailed, my first impression: A map for UT.
Like MountainPass it does not use INF's "Use-key".
But we (or at least me) have played lot's of maps which aren't really known of their beautiness ... but still played, because of the fun (fun, do you know what fun is Cleeus ;) ) you have on them.
I'm not sure if this map will make fun, but I know that it won't work properly with DTAS [edit: I meant RTS], because of creating two "bases". Give it a try, the file is very small.

Important:Simply download both zip-files, rename them (remove the ".zip") and then run the EXE file, now you only have to choose a place to unzip the map.
I had to use RAR because otherwise I could not have splitt the map (500kb upload limit). It is a selfextracting rar so you do not need to have WinRAR or similar programs.

Attachments

• dday-1.jpg
    dday-1.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 85
  • dday-2.jpg
    dday-2.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 79
  • DM-INF-DDay.part1.exe.zip
    439.5 KB · Views: 55
  • DM-INF-DDay.part2.rar.zip
    245.5 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:

jaymian

Sweet Merciful Crap!
Jan 25, 2001
That sucks with your host. I've been trying unsuccessfully to grab these maps for the last few days. Hopefully they were worth it. And I also hope the mapper at least signed their work;)

w00p

Windows at its best
Mountainpass is quite nice IMO.
Though, admiitedly slightly blocky, its still ok and detailed. This one may even hit a RAV2 server...

As for the DDay map, sorry, but that one isn't good at all. :(
I'm just going to say this: you are allowed to go under 16 units... And try to do some decent research when recreating a historical event. DDay was held at multiple places, was held on a dreary morining, was held at low-tide(long beach) and was not held during winter. I don't know how you managed to get snow into that map...
I'm sorry, but this is the truth...
Don't feel down because of this though.
Every mapper made some flunked out maps. Especially when starting out. But the fact is that most poeple don't even release their first maps.
Most poeple just build up skills in private projects untill they manage to make something they deem perfect. Then, you become a public mapper.
Though the mountainpass is a good map, I really wouldn't have released DDay.

Sorry again for the rant...
Who are you by the way? :)

Last edited:

jaymian

Sweet Merciful Crap!
Jan 25, 2001
Played them both. I don't care about the name DDay and it's significance. The map is still pretty cool. I really like the big bertha artillery gun. The map is a bit linear so the people who spawn in the bunker have to go through a maze to get out. Once you learn the map, shouldn't be too bad. The map could be more fun with DTAS as well. I really liked the MountainPass layout. The problem I have with the map is that it is blinding for me. This may be due to the opengl drivers or something. All I know is, no matter what setting my brightness is at, I get snow blindness. I really liked the cable car. Great idea in a map. Both maps seem to not have any grab movers. They are also missing the screenshots. I hope the mapper drops by for future maps so the community can give a helping hand.

mat69

just fooling around
Dec 9, 2001
Österreich
www.combatmaps.de
Yes that's true, the snow is really to bright, also for me. I set down the brightness very much, in INF and my Screen-brightness.

Ok, bad description, I meant that DDay won't work with RTS very well.

mat69

just fooling around
Dec 9, 2001
Österreich
www.combatmaps.de
ZIRB said:
Thanks but these exe/rar-files aint very mac-friendly... :)
Hmm, did not consider Mac while making those files.
The problem is, that I can't split zip-files and caused by the upload limit (500kb each zip-file) I uploaded rars which I renamed before.
What compressing-types are supported by mac?

I could send you both maps through mail when I'm at home.

w00p

Windows at its best
I'm sorry, I really didn't mean to offend or anything, but I just get irritated by stuff like that.
If you know you haven't made an accurate map, don't call it exactly the same as the event. If he'd call it beachraid or something unspecific that basicly could be held anywhere from korea to finland to even canada or so. But he defined it as something it is not...

and as for the snow-blindness, put on ski-glasses ffs. :p

Vega-don

arreté pour detention de tomate prohibée
Mar 17, 2003
Paris suburbs
Visit site
just from the pictures , as i uninstalled inf for the moment, mountain pass looks very promising , its a theme i always enjoyed , with andes its the only mountain map but this one looks better.

can't wait to play 2.9 with it

:notworthy

das_ben

Concerned.
Feb 11, 2000
Teutonia
Just a suggestion for MountainPass - checking the flag for bright corners on all ground textures should get rid of those dark edges that can be seen on the first screenshot.

Bloodhawk

Dec 21, 2002
Castlegar, B.C., Canada
Visit site
I must be missing something here...

QUOTE : Important:Simply download both zip-files, rename them (remove the ".zip") and then run the EXE file, now you only have to choose a place to unzip the map.

Because these files won't open. :hmm:

Last edited:

mat69

just fooling around
Dec 9, 2001
Österreich
www.combatmaps.de
Important!!!
I've updated Mountainpass
Please download the newest version.

@Bloodhawk You can't upload RAR-Files on this board, only zip. But those zip files can't be other 500kb (restriction by the admin), so I RARed it and split it. After this I renamed it to ZIP (otherwise I could not have uploaded it). But not everybody can UnRAR files, so I made a self-extracting RAR-File.
@I'll look what I can do. :)