DayZ standalone

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Carbon

Altiloquent bloviator.
Mar 23, 2013
That's a good review, it touches on all the great about things about DayZ, while also keeping in mind that it is early alpha, and not really playable at all unless you're dedicated to it.

Agreed. A balanced viewpoint on the whole thing. Can't wait until it becomes less quirky; it is sure to be a great game soon enough.

DarkED

The Great Oppression
Mar 19, 2006
Right behind you.
www.nodanites.com
You guys should stop wasting your time with standalone (at least for now) and start playing DayZ Epoch. I have been playing it non-stop for the last few days and it's fantastic. It's made me like DayZ again :D

You can build your own base, buy/sell vehicles that lock and unlock with keys, trade all kinds of items in 'safe' zones using precious metals as currency, and the weapon/vehicle selection is about 10x that of stock DayZ. A lot of servers also have AI-controlled missions you can take part in. There's a ton of other new features I haven't listed. Also, it's way more active than both standalone and the original mod.

Last edited:

DarkED

The Great Oppression
Mar 19, 2006
Right behind you.
www.nodanites.com
Seems very far removed from the core survival gameplay.

In my opinion it actually enhances it. Now you can build a compound that your group must maintain, which means you need a steady supply of fuel, food/water, and weapons/ammo. In stock DayZ you just run around with your group and kill everyone until you eventually die; with Epoch, there is an endgame that goes way beyond "Get a DMR."

Manticore

Official BUF Angel of Death (also Birthdays)
Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Optimum Trajectory-Circus of Values
From Steam:

We estimate that reaching Beta version with all key features present will take more than one year from current stage. All features and plans listed here are subject to change, we may add or remove features as seen fit during development process.

A year to get to beta? By that time any vibe on this game will be stale and gamers will have moved on to the next big thing.....

DarkED

The Great Oppression
Mar 19, 2006
Right behind you.
www.nodanites.com
A year to get to beta? By that time any vibe on this game will be stale and gamers will have moved on to the next big thing.....

It was already very stale before standalone was even released. Standalone has sold a lot of units to both DayZ veterans and new players, but people are quickly figuring out that it's not all magic and unicorns and are going right back to the mod/Epoch. If you don't think so, simply fire up the mod and start talking to people in the side channel. The mod has more active players than standalone, and Epoch has more active players than both of them combined.

Almost everyone I've talked to while playing Epoch that has bought the standalone say they only bought it because it is currently cheap, and have no desire to go back to it until it either hits beta, has Epoch's features, or a version of the Epoch mod. If Dean Hall was smart, he'd put base-building, a currency-based economy, and proper crafting at the top of the list.

Besides, zombies are old-hat now. Rust is practically DayZ Epoch minus the zombies and it's incredibly popular right now.

Last edited:

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
It was already very stale before standalone was even released. Standalone has sold a lot of units to both DayZ veterans and new players, but people are quickly figuring out that it's not all magic and unicorns and are going right back to the mod/Epoch. If you don't think so, simply fire up the mod and start talking to people in the side channel. The mod has more active players than standalone, and Epoch has more active players than both of them combined.

Almost everyone I've talked to while playing Epoch that has bought the standalone say they only bought it because it is currently cheap, and have no desire to go back to it until it either hits beta, has Epoch's features, or a version of the Epoch mod. If Dean Hall was smart, he'd put base-building, a currency-based economy, and proper crafting at the top of the list.

Besides, zombies are old-hat now. Rust is practically DayZ Epoch minus the zombies and it's incredibly popular right now.

It's pretty clear from everything Rocket has said, that he's not too interested in implementing huge new features, when they're still figuring out how to get the servers to run properly with respawning zombies and gear.

DarkED

The Great Oppression
Mar 19, 2006
Right behind you.
www.nodanites.com
It's pretty clear from everything Rocket has said, that he's not too interested in implementing huge new features, when they're still figuring out how to get the servers to run properly with respawning zombies and gear.

Yeah. Over the past few years Rocket and the DayZ crew (and to a smaller extent, Bohemia) have repeatedly made it clear that they have almost no idea what the hell they're doing. It'll be a miracle if standalone ever reaches beta, let alone a stable v1.0 release. Just look at how broken the mod still is after two years of active development.

They can't hide behind the regular "It's the engine!" excuse anymore now that standalone is out.

Yes; I got that impression........ I should give Epoch a go.

You should, it's easily the best execution of DayZ's concept. Just keep in mind that it is still a mod of the DayZ mod, and as such is not immune to DayZ's numerous bugs and annoyances. I'm actually to the point where I am burned out on the bugs and glitches again, and I'm about ready to quit playing DayZ altogether (again.)

I can point you in the direction of some good PvE servers to get you started softly with Epoch's new features if you like.

Last edited:

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
They are making great progress towards optimizing the stand alone though. It's already much better than the mod, in terms of raw performance, and Rocket has said there are still tons of optimizations to be made. In my opinion, the two months of alpha so far have shown a lot of promise.

Manticore

Official BUF Angel of Death (also Birthdays)
Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Optimum Trajectory-Circus of Values
They can't hide behind the regular "It's the engine!" excuse anymore now that standalone is out.

You should, it's easily the best execution of DayZ's concept. Just keep in mind that it is still a mod of the DayZ mod, and as such is not immune to DayZ's numerous bugs and annoyances. I'm actually to the point where I am burned out on the bugs and glitches again, and I'm about ready to quit playing DayZ altogether (again.)

I can point you in the direction of some good PvE servers to get you started softly with Epoch's new features if you like.
Thanks for that. I'll IM you if I get around to installing Epoch.

gopostal

Jan 19, 2006
If you do (or anyone else here that wants to give DayZ Epoch a go) then feel free to stop by my server 68.232.188.52:2302
I got really bored with UEngine the last couple of years, running into all the different limitations so I played a lot of L4D2 then DayZ. I loved the modding ability you get with the engine and the community is vibrant and helpful. I was able to hit the ground running and transfer a lot of my coding knowledge directly in. Dayz allowed me to do all the things I wanted to do with Monsterhunt plus a hell of a lot more. (Huge thanks to Sp00ney for showing me literally everything about running a DayZ server).

I do play standalone (some) but for my money Epoch is where DayZ will show the most promise and give the most fun. For instance on my server I have been working towards a 'roleplaying' experience where there is a faction called "Legion" that has the soldiers running all the missions on the server and there is also another faction of survivors that are AI that you must watch out for all the time too. You are never safe, zombies or AI is almost always in gun range somewhere but I take care not to be overwhelming.

If you come on ask for one of the admins and tell them you are a friend of mine from the Unreal games. They will help you out if you are new to the game because there's a lot to learn and the curve is steep as hell. No game does constant dread and paranoia better though. It's not for everyone since the game loves to punish you for any seemingly little mistake but that just makes those player kills all the sweeter.

Edit:
I ought to add that our TS is here legion.teamspeakserverhost.com:21929 so drop by if you want some help getting set up. Although the server is PvP and very few rules the regular crowd knows to assist when asked and any of them will. I play as Kelly (my real name) so if you see me don't hesitate to poke me. You'll likely see some names you recognize as I have a smattering of old UPlayers who have moved on.

Last edited: