1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Dark Souls 3

Discussion in 'Games' started by Balton, Apr 12, 2016.

1. Balton

Balton The Beast of Worship

Anyone playing?

I got it a few days early but didn't have the time to play. I managed to play for 3 hours today. I feel like I am barely into the game world so this is just a first impression: this could redeem the atrocity that DS2 was(although you had to play a big portion of that game to get to that conclusion).

2. Trynant

Trynant Manic Brawler

Why does it say I've played this game for 35 hours since Monday evening. I'm binging hard.

World layout reminds of Bloodborne's (interconnected, not different branches from a single hub as much as one safe zone and a semi-linear world). Combat is fastest in Souls (excluding Bloodborne). Some parts feel like the hardest content in the series yet (including Souls). I'm wondering what this game would be like as an entry point considering how much stuff you can get from this game knowing the prior two and having the game experience.

Why is this the first post I've made in BUF in forever.

3. Al

Al Reaper

I want to like this series, but I'm just too terrible at video games and I don't have the patience to keep playing which would make me better at playing it.

Make sense? That's how I feel about Dark Souls. :)

4. Carbon

Carbon Altiloquent bloviator.

Time, time, time...that's what this game seems to require above all. I haven't played any of the series simply because it seems like it's a real investment which I just can't afford right now. It looks good though; no hand-holding or coddling, which is a welcome alternative to the trend in gaming lately.

5. Manticore

Manticore Official BUF Birthday Spammer

I have the original DS but have barely played it. It's a tough grind. I must give it another go sometime........

Don't get me wrong; it is a very good game.

6. Trynant

Trynant Manic Brawler

Understandable. These games, especially initial outings, have a really front-loaded learning to them. Above the expectations that you're probably experienced in various video games, Souls games are unique enough in their controls and ways about them that the longest segment of play for people (at least for me) is the first hours until things click.

I'm almost done with my first playthrough and about to clock in 60 hours of play. That's a lot of time to ask a player.

The only silver lining here is that these games are, geometrically speaking, not that big. All the titles are based on being able to shrink your playtime of them down to a tenth, if not more, of your first play. Speed runs of the first Dark Souls, one whose first play took me 60 hours again, clock in a little over an hour--and that's without using any sequence skipping glitches.

At the very least, Souls games reward subsequent playthroughs via respecting the player's time and knowledge.

Yahtzee still had some of the better words on Dark Souls the first. Especially the "you can explain the appeal of these games beyond them being hard and the rest is secret you fucks."

7. Manticore

Thanks I will get around t reading that.

Also for the past year or so I've been obsessed by space sims. I really need to diversify my gaming a bit .........

Cheers!

8. Balton

Balton The Beast of Worship

PVP can be so much fun in this game

9. Vaskadar

Vaskadar It's time I look back from outer space

There was a particularly memorable moment on that bridge, where myself and 2 summoned phantoms had made our way through that entire area, happened upon the horde of skeleton warriors, and they'd ran off onto the bridge, dragging most of the skeleton bastards with them. I was on the other side of the bridge, and they fought the skeletons.

One of the skeletons sliced the rope, and I watched as the entire bridge came crashing down, bringing the poor fools along for the ride.

10. Manticore

Interesting story. I do have Dead Souls 1; I should get around to finishing it.